Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,401 times

Advertisements

Wheeling has its problems, but how about Buffal Grove that has been over run with Russians that only want to speak Russian, and treat folks born here like crap. The Russians live just like the Mexican families when they emigrate here with several families to a single family home. In a couple years they save up enough money for a down payment, and get the other Russians to cosign loans for them. They buy Lexus cars and trucks that they can't afford. They refuse to assimilate into the American culture and send their children to Russian day care centers. All these foreign nationals taking over in the United States, and citizens are not free to display the American flag with pride due to the myriad of laws making it illegal to display flags under most conditions. Mexicans, Polish, and Russians all hate being American. What the hell happened to our great country. The politicians and the lawyers sold us all down the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 09:26 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyburbs View Post
Wheeling has its problems, but how about Buffal Grove that has been over run with Russians that only want to speak Russian, and treat folks born here like crap. The Russians live just like the Mexican families when they emigrate here with several families to a single family home. In a couple years they save up enough money for a down payment, and get the other Russians to cosign loans for them. They buy Lexus cars and trucks that they can't afford. They refuse to assimilate into the American culture and send their children to Russian day care centers. All these foreign nationals taking over in the United States, and citizens are not free to display the American flag with pride due to the myriad of laws making it illegal to display flags under most conditions. Mexicans, Polish, and Russians all hate being American. What the hell happened to our great country. The politicians and the lawyers sold us all down the river.
And how different is this compared to when the first Italians, Greeks, Germans etc. emmigrated and would move to same neighborhoods so they could feel comfortable living amongst people who speak the same language and sell familiar items? Then the 2nd generation, despite going to "Saturday School" assimilate into other neighborhoods because they are comfortable speaking English and find it cool to assimilate American ways.
So take a deep breath and take a tolerance pill and you will feel better.
And food for thought: What if you had to emmigrate to Russia, Poland or Mexico to improve your families life? Would you instantly be able to speak their language? Would you try to move somewhere where other English speakers lived? Would you move where the schools were good?
Funny how most of these Russians, Poles and Mexicans can speak bits of or even most of our language, but we typically cannot speak even a couple phrases in their language.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytimeisnow View Post
I would strongly suggest you buy/move anywhere but Wheeling. Trust me, you will be thanking your lucky stars if you listen to me. Talk to any cop in Wheeling and they will tell you the same thing. Latin Kings (Gangs) all over. Crime infested hispanic community<< definition of Wheeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoflower View Post
Wheeling, like many cities surrounding Chicago, is a sanctuary city. If you are Mexican or an illegal you'll love it hear. No need to assimilate. No need to learn the language or swear loyalty to these, Our United States. The Jews have moved out. The WASPS, the Polish, the Bulgarians, the Russians are moving out. The Chinese, Indians and Pakistani's are all moving out. Why. Because the illegals have moved in and are turning this quaint little village into another Tijuana. It's dirty. The people are uneducated. The schools are broke. The public works are broke. Look to Deerfield or Lake Forest or Riverwoods, stay the hell away from Wheeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
The only reason Wheeling still looks any decent is their rental licence laws. All rented units have to be licenced and are inspected by the Village regularly. Everything must be fixed up before the licence is renewed. And I mean everything, every year: broken windows, broken window screens, storm doors, balusters, holes in drywall and or carpet. Thousands of dollars courtesy of "quality" tenants.
Stay the hell out of Wheeling if you can afford it.
What kind of baloney is this "love" of schools filled in majority with emigrant kids?
When you attend first day of school orientation and find out you are the only one or one of very few parents speaking English there? What kind of quality education will your kids get there?
I used to manage several rental properties in Wheeling- no more, but even selling them was hard as banks require additional downpayment monies because this is in their words: a distressed area...
What keeps Wheeling alive is the industrial park, the airport. Retail district along Milwaukee. Not the demographics.
As for Latin Kings, they are visibly spreading to other neighboring communities. Sheriff's graffiti removal unit is very busy. One family in over 500 apt. community can keep you busy.
What a big bunch of ignorant people. I live in Wheeling and I know the crap written above is very far from reality.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:25 PM

5 posts, read 11,876 times
Wheeling is reasonably safe, even if gangs have some presence. The homes are nice but just less expensive.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytimeisnow View Post
I would strongly suggest you buy/move anywhere but Wheeling. Trust me, you will be thanking your lucky stars if you listen to me. Talk to any cop in Wheeling and they will tell you the same thing. Latin Kings (Gangs) all over. Crime infested hispanic community<< definition of Wheeling.
I recently moved out of Wheeling for the above reason. The area I lived in for over 5 years was nice at first but gangs have slowly moved in more & more over the years & along with that the crime. Had a lot of break ins surrounding my home in the past year & was getting worse as the weather warmed up. Got to the point where they didn't even care if alarms were going off or if residents woke up & confronted them they just kept doing what they were doing stole what they could & ran off. Lucky no one was harmed physically. Recently this past week saw on the news where someone was shot right near where I used to live. Gang involved - victim wasn't a gang member but the person who comitted the crime was. Very sad. I'm very glad I got out when I did.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredschwartz View Post
I recently moved out of Wheeling for the above reason. The area I lived in for over 5 years was nice at first but gangs have slowly moved in more & more over the years & along with that the crime. Had a lot of break ins surrounding my home in the past year & was getting worse as the weather warmed up. Got to the point where they didn't even care if alarms were going off or if residents woke up & confronted them they just kept doing what they were doing stole what they could & ran off. Lucky no one was harmed physically. Recently this past week saw on the news where someone was shot right near where I used to live. Gang involved - victim wasn't a gang member but the person who comitted the crime was. Very sad. I'm very glad I got out when I did.
Where did you live?

Old 05-07-2013, 12:42 AM

5 posts, read 7,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyburbs View Post

Wow, buying cars and homes they can't afford. That sure does not sound American.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 AM

91 posts, read 131,134 times
Default Buffalo Grove over Wheeling

I would see if you could it go a bit north (north of Lake Cook Rd.) into Buffalo Grove especially if you have kids. As some posters have mentioned there are rough patches in Wheeling and the surrounding towns offer much more. BG is actually pretty affordable and there is a train station there or you could drive to the Lake Cook Road or Arlington Park metras pretty quickly too. Depending on the type of property you're intersted, I may have some suggestions. Message me if you're interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty4v View Post
Hello,

We are first time home buyers and we are looking at a few places in Wheeling,IL. The area in Wheeling that we are interested is between S Elmhurst Rd and S Wolf Rd (Near Heritage Park). We are interested in this area because it is within walking distance to Metra and I have to commute to downtown Chicago for work. Any thoughts/comments/suggestions on this area is much appreciated.

Thank you

Old 05-14-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikm23 View Post
I would see if you could it go a bit north (north of Lake Cook Rd.) into Buffalo Grove especially if you have kids. As some posters have mentioned there are rough patches in Wheeling and the surrounding towns offer much more. BG is actually pretty affordable and there is a train station there or you could drive to the Lake Cook Road or Arlington Park metras pretty quickly too. Depending on the type of property you're intersted, I may have some suggestions. Message me if you're interested.
Did you notice the post is several years old?

Old 10-12-2013, 09:02 AM

72 posts, read 184,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
And how different is this compared to when the first Italians, Greeks, Germans etc. emmigrated and would move to same neighborhoods so they could feel comfortable living amongst people who speak the same language and sell familiar items? Then the 2nd generation, despite going to "Saturday School" assimilate into other neighborhoods because they are comfortable speaking English and find it cool to assimilate American ways.
So take a deep breath and take a tolerance pill and you will feel better.
And food for thought: What if you had to emmigrate to Russia, Poland or Mexico to improve your families life? Would you instantly be able to speak their language? Would you try to move somewhere where other English speakers lived? Would you move where the schools were good?
Funny how most of these Russians, Poles and Mexicans can speak bits of or even most of our language, but we typically cannot speak even a couple phrases in their language.
It's very different. My grandparents were Italian immigrants and they LOVED this country. They learned English, took part in civil life, raised their kids to be proud AMERICANS. They socialized with Americans and Italians. They took no government aid - wouldn't have dreamed of it, as that was considered shameful. Of course, they had to have trades to support themselves, and we should go back to that requirement now - especially with the dismal unemployment numbers.

If I had to move to another country, the first thing I would do would be to learn THEIR language to the best of my ability - not refuse to learn and bray about how my native country was better (answer to that should be - then what the devil are you doing here?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs