Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 10,312 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from Atlanta. I am going to be working in Vernon Hills as a school psychologist. However, I am truly a city girl and would love to live in Chicago but seeing how the commute is, I know that is not possible. Which suburb should I move to that is not TOO suburbian and that has a city like feeling to it. I noticed Evanston, Rogers Park, Skokie, etc has good public transportation into the city but am concerned with the commute to work? Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 12:57 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,618,399 times
You are really in suburban land around there. Vernon Hills does have a train to the city. I believe it would be 45 min to an hour. Many people commute to the city for work from V.Hills. Check with Chicago Metra NW suburbs and see what burbs the line to Vernon Hills hits, I am not sure if it goes to Evanston. Evanston is a great city, Alot going on and on the lake-if the commute is too long then Arlington Hts or Libertyville are decent burbs that would be an easy drive commute for you and they both have metra to Chicago for city trips.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:29 PM

42 posts, read 199,781 times
Check out Highland Park - it's a 20 minute drive to Vernon Hills. Highland Park has a great walkable downtown, entertainment and is by the lake. LATE NITE HP Cons: it is expensive.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:59 AM

I agree about HP. And is that the same metra train line for Vernon Hills? That would make for an easy commute.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:27 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,728,515 times
An option it to take the train into VH and leave your car at the train station to drive from the station to school and back. Remember however that you have to live in close proximity to Union Station or Ogilvie where the trains leave from otherwise you will have to take the El train from where you live to there to catch the METRA train to VH.

Vernon Hills is still far from Evanston, Skokie, etc.

The commute is doable by train, but would not recommend by car. If you moved to the NW side of Chicago (i.e. near O'Hare), the commute would be more doable by car and you would still be near the city.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 10,312 times
HP is super expensive! What about Buffalo Grove, Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg area?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didntsethatcomin View Post
HP is super expensive! What about Buffalo Grove, Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg area?
You didnt mention a price range, but Buffalo Grove would be an easy commute. Its sub dividion/strip mall suburbua though as is S'burg, which is built around a very large shopping area, Woodfield Mall. Its very busy, lots of chains and strip malls but many like it. Hoffman Estates is a neighboring town to that. Again, some nice little family 'hoods and alot of subdivisions/strip malls. Nothing charming about any of the towns, but nothing bad. Different strokes. I like the downtown area of Arlington Hts area more. You might mapquest your work place to see your commute to S'burg. The rush hour tends to be brutal.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:22 AM

Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didntsethatcomin View Post
Either of the three is an easy commute to Vernon Hills. Certain apartment complexes in Schaumburg and Hoffman Estates are close to bars, restaurants, etc.

Buffalo Grove is full of soccer moms, drive thrus, and little league baseball fields.

I would go with Schaumburg.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:24 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,487 times
Wauconda

Old 06-29-2009, 11:27 AM

Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Wauconda
I wouldn't advise the OP to move to Wauconda. She was looking for more urban/suburban. Wauconda is an up and coming suburb in central Lake County, but is still somewhat rural (by Cook County standards).

Wauconda has little apartment housing and is mostly family oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs