Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2007, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 5,342 times

Advertisements

i love the homes in geneva and st charles in addition to the general "open space" feeling of the cities. i will be working, again, in downtown chicago and would like to know what a realistic commute to the loop is... i'm assuming that it will be ~ 1.5 hours door to door (15 mins walk to train, 1 hr train ride, 15 min walk from ogilvie). i used to work in chicago and really liked my 30 min ride on the green line from oak park to do reading / prepare for the day / etc. i'm thinking from geneva i'll just get a little more of this quality quiet time and have exercise (the 30 mins of walking) built into my daily commute. please let me know if the train ride is not this straightforward or more of a hassle than i'm assuming. thanks in advance!

mg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 03:44 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,354,812 times
The train is 1 hour from Geneva to downtown. Then you have to figure in how far you have to walk from the train station to your job location downtown. And also how long it takes to get to the Geneva train station in the AM and park. An hour and a half is minimum. Lots of folks do it, you need to decide if you want to.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:31 AM

774 posts, read 2,497,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagoo View Post
i love the homes in geneva and st charles in addition to the general "open space" feeling of the cities. i will be working, again, in downtown chicago and would like to know what a realistic commute to the loop is... i'm assuming that it will be ~ 1.5 hours door to door (15 mins walk to train, 1 hr train ride, 15 min walk from ogilvie). i used to work in chicago and really liked my 30 min ride on the green line from oak park to do reading / prepare for the day / etc. i'm thinking from geneva i'll just get a little more of this quality quiet time and have exercise (the 30 mins of walking) built into my daily commute. please let me know if the train ride is not this straightforward or more of a hassle than i'm assuming. thanks in advance!

mg
I commute from Naperville to the Loop, which is slightly closer in, and I would say that 1.5 hours is about right from door-to-door, give or take a few minutes depending on where you are in the Loop. This can also depend upon how close you live to your suburban train station - people generally pay a very large premium to have a house that is walking distance to the Metra station, and assuming that you aren't able to find something within walking distance, you'll need to investigate the parking situations at those stations (how early they fill up, cost of daily parking, whether there's a waiting list for monthly permits, etc.). I definitely prefer the train ride as opposed to driving, but there are certainly times where I wish I had the flexibility of living closer in the city again.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,183 times
Default Train station choice

My husband and I are also looking into the area for a job in Naperville. We were there last weekend getting a tour from a local realtor. We liked Geneva and they appear to have a parking problem at that train station. However, there's a new train station in Elburn which is just a little west and a few minutes away that has plenty of parking. That train station (called LaFox) is the new "end-of-the line" and the community is expected to grow around it. I don't know if it's open yet but I did see it and the track so it is built.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:09 AM

60 posts, read 347,952 times
Exclamation Good news for all!!!

Well I do have good news for you about your commutes, however in the immediate future it's more like bad news. The state of Illinois and the Tollway Authority have undertaken a HUGE task of widening I-88 from it's present state of 3 lanes on each side which holds the interstate to 1950's standards, to four lanes on each side, so this will make it more like 1970's standards!!!

Anyways, once the fourth lane is added and open it will extend from a little west of 294, out to I believe I heard IL-59??? If thats the case, this will greatly reduce those long commutes.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:45 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,364 times
Unfortunately the i-88 construction won't help much with the long commute because the problem usually is 290, not i-88.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:05 AM

60 posts, read 347,952 times
Thumbs down Very true about 290

The whole thing (88 and 290) needs to widened to at least 5 lanes on each side like other cities such as Atlanta or San Diego have. Illinois really needs to get up with the times the roads are outdated by about 30 years here for this being such a large city.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:59 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,955,364 times
There's planning underway to widen/modernize 290 with possible expansion of public transit as well. Right now everything is in early planning phase, so it'll be 10-20 years before its complete in all likelihood.

Check out this website if you're interested in the details Cook-DuPage Corridor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs