Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:52 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,134 times

Advertisements

Wondering what the commute is like? Based on what I can see on online schedule it looks like I can expect about an hour train ride (during times where there's fewer stops in the morning/afternoon) but having never taken the metra to commute I'm unsure how that translates day to day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 12:36 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,538 times
I can't remember who it is, but one of the regular posters here used to do that commute. S/he has since moved to Elmhurst. Add in travel to and from the stations on either end. I know I would not be able to deal with that. Some people say they use the time productively.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:42 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
I work with some folks who live in Geneva. They commute downtown via the UP-W line and their perception is on-time performance is very good / excellent. This is borne out by the official reports that Metra produces as well -- https://metrarail.com/sites/default/...otp_report.pdf

The fastest UP-W express trains are still a bit slower than on line like the BNSF, that has much to do with the geographic constraints of how the commuter trains have to move through the various freight junctions that remain a priority for the contract operators of the rail lines. Fortunately there is a joint project to increase capacity to the important section that is currently a bottleneck -- https://metrarail.com/riding-metra/s...on-plan-update

Old 11-28-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I work with some folks who live in Geneva. They commute downtown via the UP-W line and their perception is on-time performance is very good / excellent. This is borne out by the official reports that Metra produces as well -- https://metrarail.com/sites/default/...otp_report.pdf

The fastest UP-W express trains are still a bit slower than on line like the BNSF, that has much to do with the geographic constraints of how the commuter trains have to move through the various freight junctions that remain a priority for the contract operators of the rail lines. Fortunately there is a joint project to increase capacity to the important section that is currently a bottleneck -- https://metrarail.com/riding-metra/s...on-plan-update
Thank you! This is helpful. We're looking at different areas to move and currently the top two areas are St. Charles (taking the UP-W) or Naperville/Lisle area (BNSF).

Old 11-28-2017, 07:45 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Some people say they use the time productively.
That's what I always enjoyed about the train. Yes, an hour-ish commute is unbearable if you're driving, but it's a whole different experience in the train where you can relax, work, read, sleep, whatever. However, unless your job is laid back and doesn't expect you to work long hours, the long days can be drain on your work/life balance. With an 8 hour work day (plus an hour for lunch), you're looking at 12 hours away from home every day from Geneva.

Naperville has much better express trains Kluch. I believe some get you downtown in 30 minutes or less.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:18 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
That's what I always enjoyed about the train. Yes, an hour-ish commute is unbearable if you're driving, but it's a whole different experience in the train where you can relax, work, read, sleep, whatever. However, unless your job is laid back and doesn't expect you to work long hours, the long days can be drain on your work/life balance. With an 8 hour work day (plus an hour for lunch), you're looking at 12 hours away from home every day from Geneva.

Naperville has much better express trains Kluch. I believe some get you downtown in 30 minutes or less.
33 minute express from DT Naperville.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
33 minute express from DT Naperville.
I hear people reference "express" trains a lot. Is there actually a clarified difference on the schedule or is it just people call them an express train because when you leave certain stations at certain times (ie DT Naperville) there are fewer stops along the way making it a faster train into downtown? I guess I just haven't seen on a schedule anywhere where "express" train is specified.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:15 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I hear people reference "express" trains a lot. Is there actually a clarified difference on the schedule or is it just people call them an express train because when you leave certain stations at certain times (ie DT Naperville) there are fewer stops along the way making it a faster train into downtown? I guess I just haven't seen on a schedule anywhere where "express" train is specified.
You have it figured out. Certain trains on the schedule make fewer stops, making them "express". Look for the ones that have the least amount of stops. Those are the express trains.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:20 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,538 times
You have to look at the downloadable schedule on the Metra site. It will have a vertical line showing all the stops skipped. If there's no time listed for a particular station, it doesn't stop there during that run.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:56 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
The overly rule-following conductors and the "recorded announcement" generally will say things like "this train leave Union Station and makes NO intermediate stops before Naperville" as opposed to saying "express" but the more experienced conductors will say "this is an EXPRESS that stops only at Naperville and Rt 59". It is 32 minutes which exceeds any ability to drive a similar distance. There are a several such trains on the BNSF route and they are hugely popular. The train literally does travel down the MIDDLE RAILS until it gets past Lisle and that allows it to bypass all the other stops at a speeds that can exceed 60 mph. I'm guessing the Metra legal department really hates to think of it as an "express" for the folks who walk or drive into its path...
https://metrarail.com/maps-schedules...SF_BN1257_V1_B

The fastest such trip on the UP-W skips over the stops only until Wheaton and that takes about 34 minutes. All told that means that the trip to Geneva is 53 minutes... https://metrarail.com/maps-schedules...UP-W_UW47_V1_B .

It is probably worth mentioning that due to the popularity of the Naperville "expresses" it is imperative to get to the station several minutes before scheduled departed if you want a seat to work undisturbed. Every spot is "who ever gets it first", no reservations... The UP-W line is generally not as frantic a dash for seats. Folks who have a good relationship with their bosses often make efforts to have their transit time count as "productive hours" which is a smart discussion to have prior to making any assumptions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs