Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:15 PM

274 posts, read 709,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
That's racist.
How?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 10:17 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
That's racist.
Oh bloody heck.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:34 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,107 times
Immediate reaction: "Diverse" and "100% black" are opposing qualities.

Diverse is a block I used to live on: Asian, Indian, Cuban, Black, White, Latino, Haitian, Old, Young, Well-Off, Poor, Middle class, Straight, Gay, Jewish, Christian, Conservative, Liberal....you get the picture. That's was on one block. That was diverse. We all got along and had block parties.

Good luck with your search, though, hope you land in a place you like.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:32 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
...a block I used to live on: Asian, Indian, Cuban, Black, White, Latino, Haitian, Old, Young, Well-Off, Poor, Middle class, Straight, Gay, Jewish, Christian, Conservative, Liberal....
Man, I would have loved to have lived on that block!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:27 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Man, I would have loved to have lived on that block!
It was terrific. I doubt I'll ever encounter a place like it again. The old Irish Catholic lady trading neighborhood gossip and gardening tips with the gay couple across the street, the Haitian kids learning about wrestling from the "old-timer" kids, the bonding with everyone when it snowed and we had to shovel out and "chair" our spots....

I swear, people would take your trash out for you if you were out of town or working late, and a snowblower from down the street would come out of its way to rescue the pregnant and infirm. Everybody joined forces to get the city to put in a stop sign put in to protect the skaters and street hockey kids. A few even chipped in when one family couldn't afford to take down a large tree that was splitting down the middle.

I realized I forgot to mention the Somali family. GOOD EATS AT THAT HOUSE!!

Sigh.....

Old 06-28-2009, 08:50 PM

198 posts, read 388,001 times
Moneylova,

I live in North Chicago. North Chicago is 52 minutes (38.10 miles) north of the City of Chicago.

Historically, North Chicago was known for large populations of Eastern European immigrants. With the onset of the "Great Migration", large numbers of Blacks arrived in the city from states such as Arkansas and Alabama, and toward the end of the 20th Century, became the best known demographic group. Latterly, Latinos have arrived in significant numbers, particularly from Mexico, and now form a notable group in the city, just as they do in Waukegan to the north. It is possible that North Chicago has over time been the most diverse and multicultural municipality in Lake County.

Blacks, who had lived in North Chicago since its inception, accounted for 34% of the city's population by the end of the 20th century.

In 2005, Blacks comprised 38.2% of North Chicago. Now, they comprise 39.5% of the city.

North Chicago has had its crime issues over the years, but as of late things have made a drastic improvement and I feel much more safe now than I did growing up.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:07 PM

198 posts, read 388,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg1594 View Post
i think some that you might want to live in would be north chicago, maybe bellwood or hillside, aurora, or zion.
I've already touched on North Chicago. Zion would be nice too.

Although there had been only a small Black population in Zion through much of the 20th century, blacks made up nearly 27% percent of Zion's population by the late 1990s.

In 2005, Zion's black population was 29.1%. Today, the black population is 30.8%.

Obviously, North Chicago has a larger % of blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs