Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:40 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,080 times

Advertisements

Link to article: ETHS tops New Trier on Newsweek list; schools dispute method :: News :: PIONEER PRESS :: Evanston Review (http://www.pioneerlocal.com/evanston/news/1627365,evanston-topschools-061809-s1.article - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:24 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Not a surprise. The value of the Newsweek rating has been minimal, the methodology is weak. US News has a MUCH better system and only 'ranks' the schools in the tippy top group numerically, all the rest go in to "silver" or "bronze". Much better system, as it acknowledges that some people will choose a more urban school or a larger school or a school that has some other factor that is subjectively negative.

The Newsweek "single data point" is ridiculous. The mere fact that is terribly easy to manipulate ought to shame Newsweek into doing a better job, but with suffering in the world of magazine sales that is unlikely...

Old 06-22-2009, 08:46 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,173 times
The ranking metric mentioned in the article is the dumbest I've ever heard. And I've heard some pretty brain-dead ones over the years. It should all be ignored as total nonsense.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:35 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Not a surprise. The value of the Newsweek rating has been minimal, the methodology is weak. US News has a MUCH better system and only 'ranks' the schools in the tippy top group numerically, all the rest go in to "silver" or "bronze". Much better system, as it acknowledges that some people will choose a more urban school or a larger school or a school that has some other factor that is subjectively negative.

The Newsweek "single data point" is ridiculous. The mere fact that is terribly easy to manipulate ought to shame Newsweek into doing a better job, but with suffering in the world of magazine sales that is unlikely...
Clearly Evanston has manipulated it.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:26 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Clearly Evanston has manipulated it.
I wouldn't necessarily blame Evanston. Its just a bad survey.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:15 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,825,324 times
oh, brother. haven't we suffered enough with the hack job that USN&WR did on colleges to have to endure Newsweek attempting the laughable task of actually ranking high schools across the country. give me a break.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:27 PM

374 posts, read 1,036,110 times
I just don't think it's possible to rank high schools - too many variables. I do think it's possible to rank colleges, however, and US News does a much better job on that. US News high school rankings are also stupid.

I will say this - measuring AP scores is somewhat bizarre, but I don't think ETHS manipulated it. My friend's kid took AP Psych at his high school and found it quite difficult. He is going to an excellent college and pretty much got all As in high school.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:19 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
I just love to watch those New Trier booster idiots squirm. This is the kind of thing that will drive them nuts, bad methodology or not!

Old 06-23-2009, 07:59 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Any one who does not believe it is possible to rank high schools is either blind to very obvious differences or has some ulterior motive.

Just about all high schoolers take the ACT and SAT. These are VERY well designed instruments to measure how students in different schools perform on written tests that are valuable to college admissions. Further, the College Board invests a LOT of money and time in the AP program and reports a tremendous amount of data on these tests.

Additional FEDERALLY MANDATED information about the demographics of high schools is quite reliable.

US News does an EXCELLENT job of using of ALL THIS DATA to group high schools into gold, silver and bronze. Among each group it is entirely possible that parents and students could legitimately choose one school over another, because there will ALWAYS differences and some people have preferences.

Newsweek is being LAZY and somewhat sensationalistic in attempting to rank so many schools by a singular piece of data, yet even then I do think it has some value IF it does motivate more high schools to not only give more students to higher level classes BUT ALSO to take the steps necessary to ensure that those students have a high degree of success in challenging classes...

Old 06-23-2009, 09:23 AM

374 posts, read 1,036,110 times
Chet, let's agree to disagree. Public high schools, for the most part, do not have admissions standards like colleges. People in wealthy towns have good schools with high test scores, because of greater parental involvement, availability of SAT/ACT courses and tutors, etc.

High schools vary widely in size and course offerings. It's impossible to compare a school with 500 students versus 3000 students. US NEWS acknowledges such differences in its college rankings, as they have two different lists, universities and colleges. It's high school list does not account for such differences.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I can call into question all of US NEWS methodology in ranking high schools because Dover High School in New Jersey should not make any lists. The fact that it got a silver is outrageous and some of the best high schools in New Jersey aren't on the list either.

My favorite way to compare high schools is to examine the percentage of kids attending a four year college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs