Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:36 PM

6 posts, read 25,789 times

Advertisements

I am a 28 year old single guy and I just got a job at the VA hospital in Hines. I want something close, but the immediate area around the hospital seems kind of sketchy. I have been taking a serious look at Berwyn due to the fact that I want a house and not a condo. My price range is 75K to 160K and I don't mind getting a fixer upper because my whole family is in the construction business. That being said, I am somewhat concerned about break ins. I plan to install an alarm but I also have a decent amount of toys...50 inch plasma, nice guitar etc....I don't care about the occaisonal garage break in, because I am from Woodstock and that happens even in our picturesque Hamlet. I am talking about full on home invasion. I was wondering if anyone has had trouble with this or could direct me to the safe, yet somewhat affordable area of Berwyn. Or direct me to a whole other western suburb. I don't have kids and don't plan on having any till I am well into my career,so the school district is not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 01:59 AM

264 posts, read 716,665 times
berwyn is fine

get a gun if u want

Old 06-13-2009, 09:13 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Berwyn's fine from a safety perspective insofar as dense urban areas are concerned. No particular areas to avoid, just use common sense -- lock your doors, don't leave your expensive mountain bike on the porch at night, etc.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:59 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
Crime really drops to very low levels in towns like La Grange, Western Springs, etc. These are expensive places, but you could look nearby. The problem is that rentals in the suburbs are the exception and not the rule, and tend to attract a rougher element than they would in a city neighborhood packed with 20-somethings like Lake View.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:49 PM

333 posts, read 1,147,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carantini View Post
berwyn is fine

get a gun if u want
Berwyn has dramatically changed for the worse thanks to white flight and a huge influx of urban trash.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:57 PM

288 posts, read 851,504 times
If you don't have kids, you might look at Westchester. It's nice and quiet, the old folks there maintained their "midcentury modern" homes in great shape, but they don't care about the schools since their kids left long ago. There's also Brookfield, which I like very much.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:57 PM

381 posts, read 842,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by promis1 View Post
Berwyn has dramatically changed for the worse thanks to white flight and a huge influx of urban trash.
I was driving on S. Harlem and a friend of mine who is performing in a musical in Oak Park said "I thought I was gonna be shot there," as we past Berwyn. I almost rolled my eyes and said, "Seriously?".

Maybe he's right. Maybe Berwyn is actually going to the dumps. Any residents can attest to this?

Old 08-01-2009, 10:32 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
While there are those that will say "if an area is not improving then it must be declining" it is my experience that in past periods of flat real estate prices (as I think we are entering into...) that trend can be avoided.

Berwyn is unlikely to spiral down too rapidly. It would not be on my list of places that are likely to have much appreciation, but neither is it likely to have downward price movement that is much greater than average.

The OP, with their VERY low price range is unlikely to find any gems, though I suspect there are handful of decent bungalows that can be found around $160K. If the building is sound, but needs some serious refreshing, and is not in a horrid area that may be the best way to go...

Old 08-02-2009, 10:51 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,632,762 times
It truly amazes me how many people have no problem moving to somewhere like Logan Square, or even Lincoln Park for that matter, but suddenly when you mention Berwyn its as if you're entering Fallujah. Give me a break. I've lived here my entire life..gone to the schools, jogged down the alleys at night, attended the block parties, lived the neighborhoods inside and out. I've never once felt unsafe or been the victim of any sort of crime. Is it some utopia? Of course not..where is? Im not saying problems dont exist. But if people would take the time to do their homework and look at the statistics they would seen Berwyn has lower crime than Oak Park and many other places that many people dont think twice about. Better yet, get off of Harlem and walk around the neighborhoods on a Saturday afternoon and tell me if its as bad as you've been led to believe.

There are some pockets on the north end mainly along Oak Park Ave. which contain the bulk of the rentals. The other area is along Harlem. Outside of that, virtually everywhere else is vintage, single family homes.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:21 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nJohn View Post
I was driving on S. Harlem and a friend of mine who is performing in a musical in Oak Park said "I thought I was gonna be shot there," as we past Berwyn. I almost rolled my eyes and said, "Seriously?".
Why? Did he stand up at the Cherry Lounge and break into "Oklahoma?" That would probably get you shot. Beyond that, I think you're more likely to get shot in Oak Park than Berwyn per the ISP crime statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs