Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:02 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihynes View Post
wait, isn't North Berwyn the part of Berwyn that's going downhill? I thought South Berwyn was where the gorgeous Victorians are
That's a bit exaggerated. The majority of Berwyn's rentals are concentrated in areas on the north side, which is probably where that concept comes from. Wherever you have a lot of renters, you're going to be hit or miss in terms of neighbor quality. Not a concept unique to Berwyn. It is what it is. I'd choose a home with that in mind.

The best part of the north side, IMHO, is the patch of bungalows between 16th and 22nd and Harlem and Clinton. That area is called the "Gold Coast" and there are some outstanding examples of the Chicago Bungalow style home there. And yes, most (if not all) of the city's Victorians are on the south side, south of 32nd St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 11:43 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
The best part of the north side, IMHO, is the patch of bungalows between 16th and 22nd and Harlem and Clinton. That area is called the "Gold Coast" and there are some outstanding examples of the Chicago Bungalow style home there. And yes, most (if not all) of the city's Victorians are on the south side, south of 32nd St.
Can you point out some really nice blocks on the south side of Berwyn? I'm really trying to like that town, but can't seem to find any area that I can fall in love with. I'll have to check out the area you mention for bungalows, however. Berwyn certainly has a great collection of those.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:09 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Can you point out some really nice blocks on the south side of Berwyn? I'm really trying to like that town, but can't seem to find any area that I can fall in love with. I'll have to check out the area you mention for bungalows, however. Berwyn certainly has a great collection of those.
This is highly subjective of course but in my opinion, the best area is around Proksa Park. Head north down Maple Ave. from the BNSF tracks (Stanley Ave.) to 28th St. and you'll travel in time from "original" Berwyn into the bungalow era of the 1920s. You'll first see American foursquares built in the early part of the last century and then, when you cross over 32nd St., you'll hit a stretch of the best bungalows in Chicagoland. Beautiful block. Proksa Park itself (between Wisconsin and Home and 30th and 31st St.) is also a must-see, as is the Arthur Dunham house at 3131 Wisconsin (Talmadge and Watson house).

Also check out the "Depot" area (roughly bounded by Harlem and Wesley and the BNSF tracks and Ogden). That's where most of the best Victorians are. You can drive east from Harlem down 34th St. to get a tour of these homes.

Then there's of course Riverside Drive. Drive northeast down that street from Harlem and you'll see a mix of very neat modified and upscale bungalows along this route. This area reminds me a little bit of Beverly.

Then of course there's the "Gold Coast" area I described above in north Berwyn. I like that area as well.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:22 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,487 times
Oak Lawn... You can hardly tell where Oak Lawn stops and the city starts... True Burbank is in between the two, but still... It all looks city to me; cramped and congested, old, tons of traffic, throngs of people everywhere you go, thats basically Oak Lawn, Burbank, and Evergreen Park in a nutshell.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:55 AM

44 posts, read 154,193 times
Try Galewood. It has a suburban feel, but is in the city boundaries. It's just north of Oak Park, so you can enjoy the restaurants and shops of Oak Park without having to pay their ridiculous taxes. The homes are also more affordable in Galewood and may be smaller, but have lots of charachter and some decent yards. Check out the foreclosures, you may be able to get a steal!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:02 AM

288 posts, read 851,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
The best part of the north side, IMHO, is the patch of bungalows between 16th and 22nd and Harlem and Clinton. That area is called the "Gold Coast" and there are some outstanding examples of the Chicago Bungalow style home there.
ooh, thank you, I would love to take some photos of those bungalows for my Flickr page!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:50 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Unless you find your ideal spot where you know 90% you will be happy for a LONG time, I would rent and not buy right now especially since you're talking about moving again. You can find some decent homes, townhomes and condos to rent in this market.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:10 PM

274 posts, read 709,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Maywood, Melrose park
Don't forget Northlake.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:09 PM

9 posts, read 20,383 times
Heck you can even try certain neighborhoods of chicago that have a suburb feel.
I would also go out on a limb and say Skokie, it's pretty much inner ring, houses arent too expensive, quick access to the Yellow line, and plenty of dining shopping opportunities (Old Orchard and that entire strip)

Old 07-16-2009, 11:52 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Unless you find your ideal spot where you know 90% you will be happy for a LONG time, I would rent and not buy right now especially since you're talking about moving again. You can find some decent homes, townhomes and condos to rent in this market.
I would have to agree - at the price levels being discussed here I don't think a few years is going to be long enough to make anything on it. Better off looking at a downtown condo that is going cheap, there are more than enough of them among the new builds right now, they are practically giving them away.

Oh and since I just saw you don't drive - definitely stay in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs