Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,537 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone...my wife will be starting a new position by the Fox Valley Mall and with this comes a requirement that she lives no more than 30mins away. So with this in mind, we have a general radius to search for our first home. Now, we really do not know much about this area (we've always been northsiders) so any advice that you can give us would be greatly appreciated!

We're basically looking at spending around $350k. Preferably, we want to be in a newer home and good school district since we have a 2 year old and another one on the way in a couple of months!

We found quite a few homes that are in an area south of Ogden between Lincoln Hwy and 59. Does anyone know much about this area? There's a good number of homes for sale so we're not sure if it's just a sign of the times with the recession (most are short sales/foreclosures) or are people trying to get out of this area for a reason.

I have to admit, after reading some of the posts on here in regards to Aurora...it has influenced us to consider expanding out our search. Since I work in the city (right off I-55), going further west from Fox Valley would be tough. A coworker of mine has suggested Bolingbrook (she lives there) so we found some homes around Weber and Boughton that fits into what we're looking at. But...are there any other areas that are out here that we're missing and that anyone can suggest? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 08:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,466,761 times
The areas right near the mall are plenty fine. Dont go too far West into East Aurora, things are questionable in many areas over there. Plainfield and Naperville are also options, you should be able to find newer homes in Plainfield for that price, and maybe some smaller townhomes in Naperville. Just be prepared, 30 minutes in the area could be only a few miles, as traffic in and around that area is horrendous.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:31 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,658,847 times
If you look in the area of oakhurst subdivision, that is really close to the mall and the homes are quite nice. also, homes in the naperville area off of 75th street would work for you as well. I don't know if you could get from bolingbrook to fox valley mall in 30 minutes in traffic! also, maybe the plainfield area..south on rt 59 from the fox valley mall. there is also a nice area of oswego, just west of the mall area along rt 34.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:16 AM

169 posts, read 551,393 times
I would stay in the 204 school district, but make sure to check the taxes on the homes you are looking at b/c they can be pricey. We live in a townhouse in the 204 area of Aurora and there are plenty of homes in your price range and they will all put you in good schools. We live about 2 miles from 88 and that's how we get into the city and it's not too bad. Oakhurst definitely would be within your budget, but once again keep taxes in mind b/c most of them are around 8k on average.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:51 AM

945 posts, read 1,989,840 times
schools trump house, most always if you have kids or are planning any in the near future for resale. In other words, the less expensive the home, the chances it's becuause it's not in as good of a school district as the same priced home that is not as big or nice. Your commute will be long and you'll be spending a lot of time away from home if you're going downtown every day. Count on at least an hour each way. Even if you take the train, getting to the train stations is still your biggest problem. There are many on this forum who will tell you this commute time is not true. They are in denial and do not want to admit it is what it is. Naperville is a "wonderful place to live" (it's what we all keep hearing) but your $350k could get you in a much smaller, nicer community, where, no, you'll not get as much house for your money, but better schools, easier commute with 5 minute drive time to train stations, no waiting lists for permit parking at train, or shorter drive time if train is not a choice. Consider many of the western suburbs that are closer in and northeast of Naperville.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:00 AM

62 posts, read 231,172 times
Take a look at home north of Rte 34 on the east and west of Eola Rd. This is where Oakhurst and Oakhurst north are located. You can get a decent house in a nice neighborhood in the 204 district. And yes, your taxes will probably run about 8K.

Maybe also take a look at the Brookdale sub in Naperville. It is est of Rte 59, north of North Aurora.

Plainfield, Bolingbrook will take you an hour in traffic.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:44 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,831,423 times
The entire area around there you're looking into is pretty nice with many new construction homes especially in the aurora area for very fair prices. The only major downfall is the traffic around there is horrible almost all the time

Old 06-12-2009, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,537 times
Default Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! It looks like the general consensus is the high traffic in this area… which I guess we have no other choice but to endure.

Steve-o: Thanks for the heads-up about East Aurora. I’ll take a look at the listings in Plainfield as well. As far as townhomes go, we’re currently in one and my wife wants a change from that.

sgresident/CarolAnn64: Thanks for the suggestion in regards to Oakhurst. I’ll keep an eye out for anything that comes on the market within our price range. One of our concerns though… is the high taxes. I’ll take a look at Oswego as well. Btw… my coworker claims she can get to Fox Valley from her house in Bolingbrook in about 20mins by taking the ‘back roads’. Sounds like I’ll believe when I see it!

fairmarketvalue: I’m already preparing myself for the long commute from this area. It won’t be fun (especially in the snow) but looks like I’m going to have to do it unless I can land a job in the area.

TempesT68: Would you happen to know the names of the subdivisions with new construction? Just curious.

Anyway, we will be heading out and visiting a few homes tomorrow so we’ll get a better visual idea of the area. The homes we’re seeing are in the 308 school district. Does anyone have any personal opinions on this district? Thanks again everyone!

Old 06-17-2009, 11:36 AM

97 posts, read 144,505 times
Take a look at Oswego. Good schools, close to FV Mall, more affordable than Naperville, lots of retail and dinning, newer home stock (vast majority less than 10 years old, and a couple of new construction developments), a cute down town right on the Fox River, and lots of young 30 something families.

PM me if you have any q's about Oswego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs