Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 29,100 times

Advertisements

Anybody living in Zion close to Shiloh Park? I'm wondering if it's a good and safe place to live? But from what I've read, there are still some gang related issues. I was told it's starting to get better and that there is more neighbor involvement in keeping the streets safe such as Neighborhood Watch Programs. Is this true? What streets are good and bad if any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 10:27 AM

342 posts, read 1,232,167 times
i dont live there, but i know it is not that bad of a place.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:58 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,428 times
Zion isn't that bad. For Lake County, it is probable one of the less prosperous areas. Although far from the city, it does have an urban feel, as does neighboring Waukegan. Zion is demographically diverse. There are some gang problems and the schools aren't great, but I wouldn't say don't live there.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:03 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,245 times
Keep in mind, whatever a local crime rate is, it will go up in a bad economy.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:24 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Zion isn't that bad. For Lake County, it is probable one of the less prosperous areas. Although far from the city, it does have an urban feel, as does neighboring Waukegan. Zion is demographically diverse. There are some gang problems and the schools aren't great, but I wouldn't say don't live there.
Yeah this is good. Zion would be on the less desirable end for Lake County, but that doesn't make is a s#it hole or anything. Maybe look to a town a little further south? Not too awful far before you hit Gurnee, then Vernon hills a few more miles down.

Where are you working? That would help us give any advice.

Aside from that I think Chitown said it best at, sure there are problems but I wouldnt avoid it just due to that. However, there are much nicer areas not too far from there.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:33 PM

56 posts, read 214,747 times
Zion is OK. Probably preferable to downtown Waukegan, in my opinion (Zion is on a smaller scale). It's near Illinois Beach and lots of forests, which is neat. There is also a lot of shopping right near there. Plus I think you are close to the Metra line if you are near the park, which is a good way to get to Chicago from Lake County. I got the impression that the city may have seen better days, but it's certainly not dead or anything like that. What kind of property do you want and what is your budget? There may be other alternatives if safety is a major concern for you.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,428 times
There are discussions of redevelopment for downtown Waukegan and parts of Zion near Shiloh Park....who knows in this economy though.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 29,100 times
Thanks for all the info. I'm living in a apartment in Waukegan at the moment. Can't complaint. I live near the Waukegan Field House. Been here for 2 years. Just starting to go foward and purchase my first house. That's why I'm thinking either Waukegan, Beach Park or Zion. Any more advise will be welcome.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:37 PM

7 posts, read 40,121 times
We live in Zion just a quick 10 minute drive to Pleasant Prarie, WI and are relocating. We are in the Beach Park School District which is very nice. High School is Zion Benton, Middle School is Beach Park and Elementary is Newport for our zoning per our address. We have 3 boys, ages 16, 10 and 7. They have been extreamly happy in the area. We are close to everything where we live. Just built a new super Walmart by us as well. We are trying to sell so we can move ahead of my husband and get settled before the school year starts. We have a lovely home that is a cape cod model. So, there are 2 bedrooms and a full bath upstairs, main floor has master and 4th bedroom and 2 full baths. Downstairs we have a fully finished basement, office, utility and laundry room. House has a very long paved driveway and backs to a large open park owned by the park district. 2 car garage, shed, deck and hot tub with a fenced yard. I can give you more info. about the area or the house if your interested.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:17 PM

10 posts, read 61,540 times
Depends on what you're used to. If you're familiar with the city, then it will be more spread out, although congested. Depending on where you lived in the city with regard to diversity, etc., then it could be culture-shock. If you're familiar with the suburbs, and depending on which one, then there may not be much difference. Although the area does have a heavy ethnic population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ'sBUSA View Post
Anybody living in Zion close to Shiloh Park? I'm wondering if it's a good and safe place to live? But from what I've read, there are still some gang related issues. I was told it's starting to get better and that there is more neighbor involvement in keeping the streets safe such as Neighborhood Watch Programs. Is this true? What streets are good and bad if any?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs