Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 08:34 PM

6 posts, read 23,111 times

Advertisements

Looking for a house in the $150's and not afraid of racial diversity. Thought Zion looked decent enough. Anyone out there know how it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 07:20 AM

44 posts, read 232,642 times
I live in Antioch, the next town over from Zion and I don't think it's a bad place. I have friends who live in Zion and Beach Park. I think that 150k will get you more house for the money there. The schools aren't as highly rated as some others, but I don't go by test scores when I make my decisions. I spent quite a few hours observing teachers there (at Shiloh Park to be specific) before I had my teaching practicum, and I felt that the teachers were very caring and had high standards. What else did you need to know about? Commute, shopping? Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I can also ask my friends.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Are you looking for an investment or a place to call home?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:45 PM

A place to call home. I drove up there and looked at the area and I can see where some blocks are nicer than others but I live in Chicago proper right now and it's quiet compared to here. I like the proximity to Gurnee big shopping and being close to the lake is key. Drove up by the lake and there is a really pretty expanse of beach and park area. I don't mind that it's more blue collar as I am too and I don't rely just on test scores for schools either. The atmosphere, teachers and school philosophy and parent supplementation at home is more important. Thanks so much for the honest info. I can't afford the northwest suburbs. There seems to be alot of growth and new housing in Zion as well as some big businesses coming in. Seems like the town had a hard time after the ComEd plant shut down in 2000 but it seems to be trying to re-invent itself by embracing bug business like the surrounding towns have. I wanted to know if anyone knew people there and how they liked it. Thanks for all the info!!

Old 01-23-2008, 08:00 PM

9 posts, read 36,447 times
You will definitely get a lot more house for your dollar in Zion. As with many towns, some parts are rough and some are nice. Schools are not the greatest but not terrible. I am a product of Beach Park and Zion schools and turned out fine

Old 01-24-2008, 08:40 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
To me, Zion (as well as Waukegan) has so much unrealized potential... Zion has great parks and a beautiful beach on Lake Michigan - Illinois Beach State Park. There are great hiking trails, a nature center, resort, etc. (just ignore the closed nuclear plant looming in the distance). If you are a boater, you are right next to a beautiful marina in Winthrop Harbor.

One of my sisters is a school administrator in the district though and I know there are some big troubles with gangs, drugs, etc. (like in many districts). But last year a H.S. student received a scholarship to Harvard so it can't be all bad. I have also heard nothing but good things about the mayor and city council there. And the town has great diversity. I think this town could be on an upswing...

The town also seemed pretty fundamental Christian when I was there. It was orginally formed as a theocracy around the Zion Christian Church. There are lots of Christian symbols throughout the town (all street names are books of the bible, etc.). In the past, the town was always being sued by atheists. This may have changed.

From what I remember, the better areas are to the Northwest (by the H.S.) or North by the border of Winthrop Harbor. There are some really, really bad areas on the west side (one area had several drive-by shootings). But this also may have changed. I haven't been there in years....

Good Luck!

Old 01-24-2008, 10:33 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
I know theres a lot of beaches, but arent many of them contaminated with asbestos?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Despite it's somewhat sleepy appearance, Zion is urban-suburban.

Zion has a ton of affordable homes. Many, many homes are rented, meaning that one's neighbors do not necessarily have the same skin in the game, as a owner.

The thing that gets me most about Zion are the property taxes. I understand why they are necessary- to improve the schools and law enforcement/gang control. But when I look at the monthly nut, compared to some other areas, it does not make the best sense to me.

If this were my home quest, I might be more inclined to rent with an option to buy and try it on for size. Only you can decide if this is the best place to call home.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:41 AM

The rent to buy option sounds like an alternative. When driving up there it definatley felt like a town on the upswing. Looking into the pdf files for te city council it seems as if they are making major improvements by adding business parks and finally making plans to reclaim the beatuiful beach front by getting rid of that nuclear plant. The beaches are really gorgeous. There are three huge new housing developments just west of all those "bad areas" toward Gurnee. Gurnee is exploding towards Zion and Winthrop Harbor. All those western suburbanites miss the water. The lake is an important part of our lives and I live being near the water despite its famous lake effect weather! Scouting around, I think Zion is a good investment in a town that was once struggling after the close of their main breadwinner, but that has found ways to re-invent itself in diversity and branching out to the West by embracing new commerce and adding housing. The more new developments that come in, the more prosperous it becomes and the less tolerant upstanding residents will be with gangs and drugs and whatnot. Give a town hope and show them progress and they'll protect it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs