Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:02 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have been checking out various communities in the Chicago burbs, and recently we were traveling around with our agent to view Naperville and she started showing us some homes in Lisle (that feed into N'ville schools). I had done some research on Naperville, and it seems there are strong opinions on it (we liked it), but I am having a more difficult time getting opinions on Lisle. There is a little info here (that mini-ski hill area mostly), but not much. What are people's thoughts-on/experiences-in Lisle, if any?

Anyway, we are a family of 5, are totally into the family life, have three kids under 5, my wife likes burbs, but likes easy access to shopping, restaurants, etc (she loved downtown N'ville), and I want to be close to the train (I will work downtown Chicago).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 09:36 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,167 times
move to the longwood neighborhood in naperville. the train station is right there

Old 03-27-2009, 10:18 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
It's in DuPage County. With very few exceptions anywhere there is safe, schools are good and there's lot's of families. What is wrong with people? If you like Lisle, move there. Not a bit of difference between Lisle, Naperville, Wheaton, etc.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
What is wrong with people? If you like Lisle, move there. Not a bit of difference between Lisle, Naperville, Wheaton, etc.
It isn't that we wouldn't move there, it was that I know little more than the 3 houses we looked at (...it has a little ski hill, an arboretum, and a college). I spent maybe 1 hour in Lisle, but really we only saw one neighborhood, so I know very little about it. Since I haven't made it back to see more yet, and since we talk about the houses we saw without knowing the city, I was curious what other's experiences were. We hope to learn more about Lisle next time we are there.

I have learned a lot about of background about Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Naperville, Arlington Heights, & Glenview from the forum, so I was checking to see if I could learn a little background about Lisle.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:17 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Lisle is okay but its not as nice as Naperville, Wheaton or Glen Ellyn. Its downtown is very small, and it does not have the amenities, stores and restaurants that the others have. Having said that, the Green Trails area is nice. I think the schools are better in the aforementioned suburbs above...while they are not bad in Lisle. Lisle is the home of Bennet Academy, a private Catholic high school with a good reputation. JMHO

Old 03-29-2009, 09:37 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Green Trails was the area we were in, it seems to be a pretty active subdivision from our little trip there. I was just mapping the area to see if there are grocery stores, restaurants, etc that are walking/biking distance...that is what we will check out next time we are there.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:51 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
It's in DuPage County. With very few exceptions anywhere there is safe, schools are good and there's lot's of families. What is wrong with people? If you like Lisle, move there. Not a bit of difference between Lisle, Naperville, Wheaton, etc.
I would say the culture varies quite a bit between suburbs, though. Sure they are all safe and have good schools, but Wheaton being the county seat and much more church/Wheaton college-oriented is going to offer a different experience (and price point) than Lisle.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:39 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
Lisle is a slower growing suburb. There hasn't been very much development in the past couple of years.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:21 PM

214 posts, read 678,289 times
I lived in Lisle for a few years before moving to Naperville. (I've also lived in Wheaton, Carol Stream, and Evanston). Personally, I prefer Lisle to Naperville. Less crowded, less traffic, less slap-up-a (vacant) strip-mall-on-every-vacant-cornfield-without-houses, nice library where you can actually find a book you want instead of being waitlisted.

But Lisle has many fewer restaurants (although DelDebbio's on Ogden is excellent), less shopping, and I don't know how the Lisle schools compare to Naperville, aside from Bennett Academy.

Once my youngest graduates high school, I might move back to Lisle for a few years before I head to warmer, sunnier places. It would cut my commute by a bit, if nothing else and I won't miss Naperville traffic.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:51 AM

137 posts, read 549,414 times
Lisle is a great community! Lisle schools are very good as well. The competition is not nearly as fierce in Lisle as it is in the Naperville schools so you children may have greater opportunities there. If you feel it necessary to attend 203 schools, there are sections of Lisle that do have 203 attendance.

Green Trails is the largest neighborhood in Lisle with no sidewalks but rather bike/walking trails winding through all the backyards. It's only minutes to Naperville's downtown, so you could certainly take advantage of all the dining and shopping that Naperville offers. Downtown Lisle is quite small, but they host "Eyes to the Skies" a hot air balloon fesitival - very cool on 4th of July weekend. The two attractions you mentioned are basically it - Four Lakes (ski hill), the Arboretum which is simply stunning in the fall!

Lisle's train is not much better than Naperville's in regards to wait for parking permit for the train. One thing to consider if you're commuting however, is the train schedule. There are a number of expresses to Naperville. You may find that your commute might be longer to Lisle even though it is closer, only because there are more stops along the way. Check the BNSF train schedule.

There is no question that Lisle is less congested than Naperville in terms of traffic.

After considering these points, I think you can't go wrong with either town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs