Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,869,835 times

Advertisements

Something about Berwyn just elicits reaction. I don't know what it is. People just have strong feelings about the place. Is it the Svengoolie? The Spindle? Bungalows?

Oak Park and Evanston get a lot of special attention on this board as well. As does the rest of the North Shore. Someone new to the area reading this forum might think the only Chicago suburbs were:

Oak Park
Evanston
Berwyn
Wilmette/Kennilworth/Winnetka/Highland Park/Glencoe/Lake Forest
Maywood
Naperville
Oak Brook
Hinsdale
Various "Bad" South Suburbs

Where's the love for Cicero? Franklin Park? St. Charles? Lincolnwood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 09:53 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,704,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
...Oak Park and Evanston get a lot of special attention on this board as well. As does the rest of the North Shore...

Where's the love for Cicero? Franklin Park? St. Charles? Lincolnwood?
St. Charles is pretty far out there. It kinda is not a real burb. It just happens to be in the "Chicagoland" area.
I am not saying I do not like it. I think it is pretty cool.

As far as Franklin Park and Cicero. I have no love for either anymore. They both suck in their own ways too numerous to mention.

I have mentioned Lincolnwood a few times. Barely anyone seems to mention it really on here for some strange reason.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-19-2009 at 10:05 PM..

Old 01-20-2009, 07:39 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,562,230 times
I know a lesbian couple, raising two little girls, who own a house in north Berwyn, and it seems like a really nice area. They're a block out of both Oak Park and Forest Park, so maybe northwest is better than further east. Fitzgerald's and Wishbone are a little bit further east, though. It doesn't really seem all that bad until you get near the Cicero border.

Oh, and what about love for Niles? Norridge? Indian Head Park? Lisle? All suburbs need love!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:24 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,403,173 times
Quote:
Something about Berwyn just elicits reaction. I don't know what it is. People just have strong feelings about the place. Is it the Svengoolie? The Spindle? Bungalows?
I think it's the way the name rolls off the tongue - Berrrrrrrr-wyn. It just makes me smile when I say it. I also smile when I say She-boy-gan. If you are in a bad mood, just keep repeating "Berrrrr-wyn - She-boy-gan!" But maybe it's just me.

I also have happy thoughts about Svengoolie, The Spindle, "Wayne's World" and Fitzgeralds (had some of the BEST times w/the BEST bands there). Berwyn does have character! Anyway, I haven't spent much time in Berwyn but I've met lots of nice people from there.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 01-20-2009 at 08:33 AM..

Old 01-20-2009, 12:01 PM

338 posts, read 618,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
It doesn't really seem all that bad until you get near the Cicero border.
Aw come on! What's the difference between North Cicero and areas of North Berwyn? Unless you know where you are the difference is insignificant. So the east side of Lombard in Cicero is slum and the west side in Berwyn is upscale?

I get it tho! Any decent person who lives in Cicero gets it. What do I love about my town? The senior services, the free dental, mental health care, etc for the poorer in town. The low town taxes. The proximity to O.P. Forest Park, etc. My gorgeous bungalow. A strong police department which doesn't put up with anything. Restaurants. Walk to the train. Minutes from Midway. The freedom to save and invest more because the cost of living here is so low. The fact that the town has nothing to lose in terms of reputation and everything to gain. U-n-d-e-r-v-a-l-u-e-d property----to an investor like myself, it's been great.

What do I hate/dislike?

We a-l-l- know what's wrong with Cicero.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
Aw come on! What's the difference between North Cicero and areas of North Berwyn? Unless you know where you are the difference is insignificant. So the east side of Lombard in Cicero is slum and the west side in Berwyn is upscale?

I get it tho! Any decent person who lives in Cicero gets it. What do I love about my town? The senior services, the free dental, mental health care, etc for the poorer in town. The low town taxes. The proximity to O.P. Forest Park, etc. My gorgeous bungalow. A strong police department which doesn't put up with anything. Restaurants. Walk to the train. Minutes from Midway. The freedom to save and invest more because the cost of living here is so low. The fact that the town has nothing to lose in terms of reputation and everything to gain. U-n-d-e-r-v-a-l-u-e-d property----to an investor like myself, it's been great.

What do I hate/dislike?

We a-l-l- know what's wrong with Cicero.
Do not put words in my mouth. Maybe you love the north part of Cicero, but it's not all that fabulous. It seems once you get east of Ridgeland on Roosevelt, it looks a LOT more run down. (I know that is still Berwyn.)

Oh, and I do know where I am over there. Cicero is definitely not as nice as Berwyn.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:12 PM

338 posts, read 618,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Do not put words in my mouth. Maybe you love the north part of Cicero, but it's not all that fabulous. It seems once you get east of Ridgeland on Roosevelt, it looks a LOT more run down. (I know that is still Berwyn.)

Oh, and I do know where I am over there. Cicero is definitely not as nice as Berwyn.
I didn't mean to insinuate that you, personally,don't know where you are when you're in the area. And I did not intend to "put words in your mouth". I didn't say that I "love the north part of Cicero", I love what I had named---my home, etc. And I certainly did NOT claim that it's fabulous---what I DID say is that for those who don't know where they are, the north side of Berwyn and the north side of Cicero can be virtually indistinguishable from one another. The SAME builders built both towns at the same time.

I have many friends in Berwyn. Berwyn Needs a good neighbor to the east. If all of the decent people of Cicero moved away, you'd have an Englewood.

And I wasn't comparing Cicero to Berwyn in terms of which town is better. That line of discussion has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Why would you inject that comment into a thread about naming what one likes about one's town?

People who have followed my comments know that I am an unabashed Berwyn booster. You don't have to agree with a thing that I say, but you don't have to put words in MY mouth.

I'm pretty mild-mannered and don't put down other's opinions or put words in their mouths. Any offense was unintended.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
I didn't mean to insinuate that you, personally,don't know where you are when you're in the area. And I did not intend to "put words in your mouth". I didn't say that I "love the north part of Cicero", I love what I had named---my home, etc. And I certainly did NOT claim that it's fabulous---what I DID say is that for those who don't know where they are, the north side of Berwyn and the north side of Cicero can be virtually indistinguishable from one another. The SAME builders built both towns at the same time.

I have many friends in Berwyn. Berwyn Needs a good neighbor to the east. If all of the decent people of Cicero moved away, you'd have an Englewood.

And I wasn't comparing Cicero to Berwyn in terms of which town is better. That line of discussion has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Why would you inject that comment into a thread about naming what one likes about one's town?

People who have followed my comments know that I am an unabashed Berwyn booster. You don't have to agree with a thing that I say, but you don't have to put words in MY mouth.

I'm pretty mild-mannered and don't put down other's opinions or put words in their mouths. Any offense was unintended.
The only reason I brought up Cicero is because the part of Berwyn that borders it does seem more run down. I do not think one side of Lombard St. is a slum, and the other upscale, but there is a difference between Berwyn & Cicero. Cicero is a lot more run down, and you can notice this going east on Roosevelt starting at Ridgeland in Berwyn.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:42 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,869,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
St. Charles is pretty far out there. It kinda is not a real burb. It just happens to be in the "Chicagoland" area.
I am not saying I do not like it. I think it is pretty cool.

As far as Franklin Park and Cicero. I have no love for either anymore. They both suck in their own ways too numerous to mention.

I have mentioned Lincolnwood a few times. Barely anyone seems to mention it really on here for some strange reason.
I don't particularly love any of these places, I was just listing a few suburbs that don't get mentioned much on this forum. Others include, but are not limted to Countryside, La Grange Highlands, Hodgkins, Wheeling, Harwood Heights, Olympia Fields, Morton Grove. These places just don't get mentioned for some reason. Are they all just that unmemorable?

Old 01-20-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I don't particularly love any of these places, I was just listing a few suburbs that don't get mentioned much on this forum. Others include, but are not limted to Countryside, La Grange Highlands, Hodgkins, Wheeling, Harwood Heights, Olympia Fields, Morton Grove. These places just don't get mentioned for some reason. Are they all just that unmemorable?

Yes, yes they are. Just like Niles, Norridge, Lisle, and Indian Head Park.

I'm, just kidding here. Don't bash me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs