Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 07:25 PM

69 posts, read 232,545 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Braeside neighborhood in Highland Park.

Thx
SK
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 07:29 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,735,111 times
Its very charming. I've known several people who lived there and they all thought it was a friendly community.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,330 times
Braeside is Highland Park's smallest grade school, having around two class rooms per grade. The student turnover from year to year is remarkably low. All this lends the school a nice cozy feeling.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:08 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,429,070 times
Skontoller,

What is so attractive to you about Highland Park? No offense to anyone, but I have never quite understood why some are so attracted to Highland Park versus neighboring towns of similar cost. I've always felt that it was quite overrated. I like to shopping in Downtown Highland Park frequently, but it isn't worth giving up Winnetka to me.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,786,681 times
You obviously have NO knowledge of just how well run the city of Highland Park is. My mother and brother still live there and admire their high level of organization and intelligent city management (likely better than most suburbs IMHO). You may want to look into it before you poo poo it. And Braeside would be a top pick of that area indeed. Frankly I've always found the folks in Winnetka a bit snooty, not that Highland Park is devoid of it, but certainly no more than the others.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
You obviously have NO knowledge of just how well run the city of Highland Park is. My mother and brother still live there and admire their high level of organization and intelligent city management (likely better than most suburbs IMHO). You may want to look into it before you poo poo it. And Braeside would be a top pick of that area indeed. Frankly I've always found the folks in Winnetka a bit snooty, not that Highland Park is devoid of it, but certainly no more than the others.
I did not describe the city as not well run and in no way am I trying to 'poo poo it'. I was trying to find out why Skontoller, was so interested in it, because he/she has been looking at other locations in previous posts.

I am sorry you have found Winnetka residents to be snooty, because I believe most of us try to be warm and welcoming.

I personally feel that Winnetka and Glencoe offer the best and largest selection of services for families. Our property taxes are higher than Highland Park's, but lower than Evanston's so I think you get a better deal with the New Trier communities.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Skontoller,

What is so attractive to you about Highland Park? No offense to anyone, but I have never quite understood why some are so attracted to Highland Park versus neighboring towns of similar cost. I've always felt that it was quite overrated. I like to shopping in Downtown Highland Park frequently, but it isn't worth giving up Winnetka to me.
US Traveller,

I don't think Winnetka and Highland Park are closely comparable in terms of price. Winnetka is at least 25% more expensive. A relatively new (post 2000) 5bed 5 Ba with an attached garage in Highland Park can be had for under $1.5 million, in Winnetka it would be at least $1.8 unless something was wrong with it. In fact in Winnetka you could spend north of $2mil and still have a detached garage which was a deal breaker with the weather we have up here. I also felt the lots were a little smaller at my price point. But I do concede that Winnetka really is the hub of the north shore. It's the benchmark by which I gauged all the other NS suburbs. HP won me over with the dowtown, a modicum of diversity, and slightly cheaper price point.

SK

Old 02-10-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skontoller View Post
US Traveller,

I don't think Winnetka and Highland Park are closely comparable in terms of price. Winnetka is at least 25% more expensive. A relatively new (post 2000) 5bed 5 Ba with an attached garage in Highland Park can be had for under $1.5 million, in Winnetka it would be at least $1.8 unless something was wrong with it. In fact in Winnetka you could spend north of $2mil and still have a detached garage which was a deal breaker with the weather we have up here. I also felt the lots were a little smaller at my price point. But I do concede that Winnetka really is the hub of the north shore. It's the benchmark by which I gauged all the other NS suburbs. HP won me over with the dowtown, a modicum of diversity, and slightly cheaper price point.

SK
SK,

I am not sure if Winnetka is that much more expensive, but we certainly don't have the less expensive homes like Highland Park has in its western parts.

In Winnetka it is very unusual to find an attached garage, but they can be found in Glencoe and western portions of Wilmette. The lots in Winnetka are smaller, but I am seeing larger 60' wide and 170' deep lots with new homes in Winnetka for between $1.7 and $2.4 million.

Highland Park does have the nicest downtown. Even nicer than Evanston's in my opinion. Highland Park does have the diversity as well.

Have you thoroughly evaluated the schools, because the worst thing is to move somewhere and find that the schools don't offer what you are looking for?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
SK,

I am not sure if Winnetka is that much more expensive, but we certainly don't have the less expensive homes like Highland Park has in its western parts.

In Winnetka it is very unusual to find an attached garage, but they can be found in Glencoe and western portions of Wilmette. The lots in Winnetka are smaller, but I am seeing larger 60' wide and 170' deep lots with new homes in Winnetka for between $1.7 and $2.4 million.

Highland Park does have the nicest downtown. Even nicer than Evanston's in my opinion. Highland Park does have the diversity as well.

Have you thoroughly evaluated the schools, because the worst thing is to move somewhere and find that the schools don't offer what you are looking for?
I couldn't agree with you more. There's a marked difference in the quality housing stock between East and West HP. Wilmette has a similar problem too. W/r/t the Winnetka lots and price point, I think you're on the money. Unfortunately $1.7-$2.4 million was out of my range.

What accounts for all the detached garages? Who pays $2.5 million for a house and then has to walk to outside to get home? Any thoughts?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skontoller View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. There's a marked difference in the quality housing stock between East and West HP. Wilmette has a similar problem too. W/r/t the Winnetka lots and price point, I think you're on the money. Unfortunately $1.7-$2.4 million was out of my range.

What accounts for all the detached garages? Who pays $2.5 million for a house and then has to walk to outside to get home? Any thoughts?
I have seen some homes in Winnetka for around $2.5 million with at least 1 car or 2 car attached garages, but usually have an additional 1 or 2 car detached garage. These homes are also usually in western portions of Winnetka, particularly the area near the Woods along Tower Road.

The detached garages are considered to be stylish and classic. Because so many walk to the train (which is also considered stylish and classic here), it doesn't bother most people that if they have to drive they have to walk outside since they walk to the train anyway. Also having a detached garage allows you to have more house along the street, and it also doesn't clutter up the front of the house with garage doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs