Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 03:44 PM

33 posts, read 53,739 times

Advertisements

My mom and I are single and thinking of moving to Naperville. From everything I've read/seen about it it seems like a great town. I love that it has a great downtown area/riverwalk. We are 60 and 40 years old and looking to live in town if possible. Everything I've seen though talks a lot about how expensive it is to live there. We are looking for a condo/townhome in the 200-300k range. Also, would 2 single women find themselves in a sea of families or would there be enough for us to do without feeling out of place? We love eating out, movies, plays, etc. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 07:27 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Sounds like a perfect fit for you, actually. Taxes are high, but not utterly ridiculous. There are tons of families, but tons of singles as well. Youll enjoy yourselves, guaranteed.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:42 AM

179 posts, read 486,129 times
Nichon: Naperville is consistently placed as one of the best places to live in Illinois and the nation. It offers good schools, shopping, medical facilities/hospitals, variety of housing, entertainment complexes, sports and etc., all within a handy drive. The younger population finds it a great fit. It's close to the city for commuting for work or visiting purposes. It's also surrounded by other great towns offering a large variety of restaurants, shopping, other conveniences, and wide range of housing types and pricing. The airports are easy to reach from Naperville also. I have an office in Naperville and find the traffic to be moderate and usually moves along well, so getting around is not a problem. If you have questions, please write again.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:16 PM

33 posts, read 53,739 times
Naperville is sounding better all the time. Would there be condos/townhomes within walking distance to town? Also, is there more of a "new" feel to the town or are there historical buildings? Gotta say I love the charm and feel of historical towns. Thanks!

Old 03-12-2009, 06:57 PM

95 posts, read 325,281 times
It is great!! I would describe as an upscale historical town, with old architecture blended with new. If you are looking for a nice suburb in Chicagoland--Naperville is Postcard Perfect!!! Very beautiful.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:15 AM

137 posts, read 549,414 times
Nichon, the historical district is directly east of town. Most homes in this area are typically higher than your price point, however it is rather enjoyable to walk through and see all the old architecture.

If you are looking for a single family home West Highlands is walkable to town, although it is a bit of a hike. That and possibly Naperville Heights would be your best bets for finding something. There are numerous other areas, but the closer you get to town, the higher the prices become.

As far as condo or townhome that is reasonably close to town - consider Mill Crossing, very economical. This complex has not appreciated like other areas because they do not permit rentals. It is a double edged sword. Appreciation is limited, but your neighbors are owners too. This is a pool community and very economical.

Another option would be to try Foxcroft. Most of these condos have been renovated and they too are in a pool community.

Tons of opportunities to become involved in Naperville, from volunteering at the Naper Settlement, to going on trips with Horizons (a Park District program), to being able to attend classes at North Central College, or NIU's satellite campus. TONS to do - you can go to plays produced by the local high schools for peanuts. Numerous festivals and activities throughout the year, and the list goes on.

Good Luck.

Last edited by acdevane; 04-06-2009 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-06-2009, 06:35 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
We lived in naperville before moving farther west to sugar grove. naperville is a great place, especially when single. there is a lot to do, plus great places to eat etc. It has a wonderful downtown. It is a great location. also, it has the benefit of being great for families too. so, when you are ready to move on, there will be someone who wants what you are selling. I think you will be able to find something in your price range.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:55 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,167 times
the cheapest place to live in naperville is longwood. there are a lot of condos.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:06 PM

62 posts, read 292,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichon18 View Post
My mom and I are single and thinking of moving to Naperville. From everything I've read/seen about it it seems like a great town. I love that it has a great downtown area/riverwalk. We are 60 and 40 years old and looking to live in town if possible. Everything I've seen though talks a lot about how expensive it is to live there. We are looking for a condo/townhome in the 200-300k range. Also, would 2 single women find themselves in a sea of families or would there be enough for us to do without feeling out of place? We love eating out, movies, plays, etc. Thanks so much!
I've visited Naperville countless times but have never lived there. I used to date someone that lives in the northern part of Naperville. I love Naperville and rate it as one of the best cities of its size, anywhere. If I ever move back to the Chicago area, I would want to live in Naperville more than anywhere else. They have an extraordinary library and downtown area and--so far at least--very little violent crime. Although it is very family oriented, there are many singles in your age range as well.

Others on this forum are far more expert than me at guiding you on home prices. However, I'm confident you'd be able to find something in your target price range in a condo/townhome, especially with the economic downturn and resultant softening in real estate prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs