Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:15 PM

206 posts, read 1,078,593 times

Advertisements

Thanks a lot, that is really helpful information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Regarding the above post...It's tough to say as far as the south is concerned because a town like Matteson has "farmland" but it has a giant billboard sign saying "Retail Space Available" meaning the southern burbs like Matteson and its' neighbors to the west (Frankfort) and south (Monee) have farmland but it's already slated as commerical or residential zones by the individual towns becuase that area's population is booming. the real farmland for the south would probably start near Monee. Which would be about 38 miles to Chicago's city limits.

It is definently warmer in will and kankakee counties opposed to the ones up north where towns like Gurnee reside. It's actually quite a large difference (on some days 5 or more degrees).

It's safe in the areas that are south of Monee. I think Peotone might be perfect for you. I have a relative that moved from Chicago Heights, about 10 years ago, to Peotone and they just love it. Of course they have an extensive gun collection so the proximity, or lack there of, to their neighbors is not a concern. If you are a farmer, you could probably have an axe wielding maniac chop your neighbors to bits and you would never hear their blood curdling screams because the houses are soooo far apart out there. That's why it is a must to have a good dog or two and some guns. Just my opinion of course...and just a little FYI section 8 types are in a lot of farm towns. Ever since Chicago knocked down the projects, the southern suburbs have been flooded with those types. Even the farm communities like Peotone.

Another thing, my Uncle who moved from the Heights to Peotone recently planted the same kind of trees that I did in my yard roughly 8-10 years ago. The Maple I planted is nearing 40 feet while his is still about 10-12 feet. This is because of decades of farming has robbed the soil of its' essential nutrients. Point being, I would test the soil in several different areas, for PH balance and so forth, before buying the property. That is, if I was going to actually grow soy beans or corn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 01:17 PM

To everybody, thanks for all the helpful information.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,194 times
try Cook County Farm Bureau

according to Cook County, IL there were 211 farms in cook county alone as of 2007.

I know of working farms/acres in hanover park, s barrington, buffalo grove, libertyville, long grove and a dairy farm in glenview. Many are small farmers doing it as a sideline/calling.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:15 AM

211 posts, read 947,633 times
I live in Valparaiso, IN and there is farmland in my area. Hobart, Kouts, even Valpo has some. I am about 11 miles from the Dunes although I am on the NE end of Valpo. Chesterton also has some rural areas that are closer to the lake as does Michigan city. My husband and I both commute to Chicago everyday for work. It's a pain but we like our 7 acre property and low property taxes. We also love the Dunes. Good luck in your search.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:20 AM

211 posts, read 947,633 times
I should also mention that are alot of unincorporated areas in porter county and lake county. In lake you can find some around Dyer, St John and Schererville but they have higher taxes and a traffic nightmare in the 30/41 area. Porter County has much lower taxes and is much more spread out plus you can get closer to the lake but it is further from the city.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:01 PM

Thank you, I'll look these places up.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,540 times
Default farmland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
Why size/type of farmland are you looking for? I may be able to recommend areas, but need more info.

Are you talking small family farm (say, 10-15 acres), or something much larger suitable for commercial farm use?

Are you talking about land that is already set up for crop-growing? Livestock? Horses? Or, just open forested land?

looking for 10-20 acres with land already set up for crops and horses.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,540 times
Default Farmland

looking for 10-20 acers of land ready for crops and horses. Preferible arround 1 hr from Franklin Park, Ill.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:07 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Prairie Crossing is a planned development in Grayslake where some land is reserved for farming; it cannot be built on. The Lake County Forest Preserve also owns land it is not ready to develop, that it farms out. Kane County has purchased parcels of land to retain it for agricultural use. I do not know if any of it is currently available, try them.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:21 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post

Is it warmer in the southern or southwestern areas?

Thanks.
Defintely. While most of Chicagoland has had freezing temps this week, it's been in the mid 70's in Oak Lawn.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs