Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 8,463 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are looking at a few homes for sale that are surrounded on 2-3 sides by corn fields. (There do not appear to be farm animals by the farm but that wouldn't be an issue for me.) Without trying to pin down and interrogate the farmers or forcing the sellers to potentially lie to get the sale, what do you know about living in the middle of a corn field and wish you knew?

-How long does sowing and harvesting take?
-Do wildlife/birds still hang out around corn fields? (They are welcome and wanted).
-Other?

We are hoping that for the minimum amount of time it would take to sow and plow corn fields, we would get maximum peace and quiet year-round. Sound thinking or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 11:28 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,538 times
I don't live in the country, but I live fairly close to farmland and have driven through it. The big things I have noticed are slow moving farm vehicles, dust and smells. I know you said they don't appear to have animals, if they do, the smells can get a little strong. I have noticed deer near cornfields in the spring and the fall. I would personally be concerned about pesticides drifting over.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:31 AM

179 posts, read 486,248 times
Not sure how longterm this move might be for you, but make sure you understand that what is cornfields right now may be developed when the market turns around. Check with your local governing bodies to find what the prospect is .. or if the planning commission ... sees this property changing anytime soon. Many builders/developers are presently renting the property they had earmarked for new development to farmers for planting. They do this for some sort of income while they wait out the present market. Investigate the intentions and plans for staying agricultural zoning or development. Just a word of caution prior to your buying. And I would say check with the governmental bodies, because agents are not always up-to-date on this matter. Cover your bases. But also be aware that farming comes with smells and some pollutions of air. Plowing can stir scents and insects. Fertilizers being applied can cause health issues as well. Do surrounding farms have livestock? Be aware barns must be cleaned. Those smells travel. Go into this move educated. You've taking the first step ... congrats on that. Best of luck to you in your next move ... no matter where that may be ..

Old 07-14-2011, 11:50 AM

214 posts, read 546,018 times
if you're on a well, check the water for pesticides.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:15 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
Farmers plant in the spring and fertilize generally when the wind is not blowing. Some fields have sprayers that water when it is an exceptionally dry summer. Depending upon what they troy they my harvest from laste summer until late fall. Most dust is cause by dry ground.

Tractors generally burn diesel fuel, but a few burn unleaded. Cornfields are extremely humid and because of it, it is not unusual to see a tornado form in a cornfield. Most tornadoes track SW to NE. Farmers rotate crops. This years cornfield may be in beans or wheat next year or the reverse may be true.

If you are going to live where you are surrounded by farms then do buy bottled water to drink and cook with. I do it even though the state says my water is safe because it does have some chemicals in it. I don't use enough bottled water to invest in a reverse osmosis water system.

Farming is weather dependent. The growing-to-harvest season can begin as early as March and not end until sometime in November. Wheat is planted twice a year. Some farmers, if their fields are fenced and cross fenced, bring in cattle to clean up the fields and fertilize until it is time to plow and plant again. Crop fields are a great gathering place for deer, coon, cotote, Canadian Geese, wild turkey, field mice, corn and black snakes, bats, and other critters.

The best method to keep the mice and snakes out is to plug openings around drain pipes in bathrooms and kitchen with stainless steel pads like SOS Pads without the soap; it's cheaper. Also to prevent critter access through exposed drain pipes (washer) do cap the end with a substatial screen.

This applies to central Illinois. The farther north one lives indicates a shorter growing season, but it does not change the amount nor type of critter that visit the farms. When the fields are barren and the cattle come, the critters that are not in your house return to their native habitat until the next growing season.

Last edited by linicx; 07-14-2011 at 02:46 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 02:29 PM

3 posts, read 8,463 times
Wow - sure appreciate your insights and thoughts around this. I'm a little deflated at the moment but it is much better to know what you are getting in to and have less surprises. I wouldn't have thought about these great points. It appears we have more homework to do and discussions to have.

Thank you again

Old 07-14-2011, 03:15 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,645,771 times
know that farmers don't keep regular hours. they work when they can. that could mean 7 days a week and even in the dark. tractors do have lights. we see that a lot out in our area. there is also the fertilizer smell. the dust is also a factor. if the farm is large, they could even do crop dusting. a friend of mine had their house actually get "dusted" by accident when her kids were outside. do your homework. take the time to check out the farm and also check about wells/septic and the land use plan of the area that you are looking to re-locate to.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:39 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
Farmers work long hard hours from dusk to dark and later. It is not uncommon to see combines in the fields at midnight. It is also not unusual to find 1000 acre farms. It you live in a house with cornfields on three sides you will live in a sauna; the humidity will permeate your house and the walls will probably sweat

Water + oxygen = mold spores. If you want to live in a cornfieod, do not buy a house without a Mold Inspection performed by an Illinois Certified, Licensed and Insured Environmental Mold Inspector. Mine came out of Galesburg. Mold Spores are in the ground. Everytime you step on the lawn you release mold spores. Farmers release mold spores every time they take a tractor into the fields.

The basic reason to have a home tested for mold before it is purchased is easy to understand. It is odorless and often colorless. Mold hides behind paneling, ceilings, light fixtures, under carpet, sinks, and in bathrooms. It hides anywhere water and oxgen converge to create the perfect medium in which mold spores can grow and spread. As someone who lives with a patient who has two lung diseases, four vancant houses in humid areas were tested before we bought our present home.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:31 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,347,608 times
Also, know that if they are zoned ag they could likely put anything in there. Might be cornfields now but down the road you could have a pig farm there and because that zoning was there first there isn't jack you can do about it. Try living next to crowing roosters and cackling chickens, LOT and LOTS of them,... just sayin.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:51 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times
wow- just reading thru the comments on living in the country

never thought about some of this stuff before the bottled water because of pesticides along with the zoning issues are something that would be of great concern if i were to ever move out in the country

i am sure the peace and serenity make up for alot of the little minor differences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs