Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 06:21 AM

6 posts, read 20,982 times

Advertisements

I have posted a similar question before about Naperville and Wheaton, but we are still trying to narrow down our new hometown. Does the Downers train share with Naperville, and if so, are there seats available into the city by the time it gets from Naperville to Downers? Also, what is the parking situation at the Downers stations? We're hoping to find a house within walking distance to the train, but I'd like to be able to drive to the station if I have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 06:26 AM

43 posts, read 165,029 times
Yes they are on the same line (run by BNSF) and I'd say the parking in Downers isn't as open as Naper but then again it's very difficult to get a spot at both 59 and 5th Ave if you aren't getting downtown really early in the AM. Especially Downers Grove Main st...my history of parking there isn't very positive.

Also keep in mind you'll miss out on some express trains since they usually run to Naperville for their first stop. Not that I'm biased to Naper or anything.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:35 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Actually DG Mainstreet has a great selection of express trains too. There are only three or four that bypass directly to Naperville -- this means there are more options to get to DG (and a somewhat less crowded train...) Metra / BNSF Monday - Friday Outbound

Parking is not on the same scale as out west, but between the lots at Belmont and Fairview, as well as the new garage DG has lots of options. Due to the more compact nature of DG the Pace and DG Shuttles serve a greater percentage of riders too. I have heard that the drivers also tend to be a more 'forgiving' if there is someone running for the bus and such...

Old 01-27-2009, 09:36 AM

43 posts, read 165,029 times
I assumed Fairview was a lot better than Main St...that's good to know that it's that way.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 AM

358 posts, read 847,079 times
I used to live by the Fairview station, there is a smallish lot. I recall people parking by Pepperidge farm as well. I miss the smell of cookies in the air everyday.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:14 PM

198 posts, read 822,032 times
Downers Main fills up fast, parking at Belmont limited now because of the underpass project, Fairview never had many spots. But at least there are three stations to walk to unlike downtown Naperville with just one (route 59 really doesn't have many SF homes walking distance in the winter). I got a permit for Westmont slots w/in a year but had no problem parking in a church lot or on the street along the tracks. So Westmont could be an option even if you choose other towns like Downers, Darien, Clarendon,etc. Clarendon Hills has a small lot but many homes are walking distance.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:14 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
The infamous standing-room only trains run express from Naperville. The trains from Downers Grove you should be able to get a seat. Belmont usually has spaces until 7:00 A.M. However, it is a mess right now due to underpass construction.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:40 AM

720 posts, read 3,006,564 times
Default train

The train starts in Downtown Aurora, then hits 59 and then hits Naperville before hitting downers. Often times I couldt get as spot getting on from the dtown naperville station so unless its an express nad downers is thesecond maybe third stop you'll probably wind up standing in between cars, i actually prefer to stand there een when their are spots.

nice thing about downers is theres three train stations. its actually quite annoying if you dont catch an express you stop at all three and it actually feels like the back of the train is at the previous stop while the front is at the next downers spot lol. the nice thing about that is you pretty much never have to wait for an express even if the train you want to take doesnt hit your stop it hits a spot thats a $4 cab ride away from so you should never have to wait for a train

Old 03-30-2010, 02:40 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,707,618 times
Downers Grove fills up pretty quick in the AM(anytime after 7-7:30 is chancing it). I know the train fills up fairly fast at RT. 59, Naperville, and Lisle but there should still be seats available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs