Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,703 times

Advertisements

How terrible would it be? Thinking of relocating back to Chicagoland area... job would be in DG. Google maps says 28 minutes from Geneva to DG along Rte. 38, which seems ridiculously quick according to my memory of 38 traffic. My drive would be during regular commute times (8 am in, 6:30ish back home). Your thoughts are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 12:52 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,553,771 times
Odds are that most employment locations in Downers Grove (typically near the junction of Butterfield/355/88) are going to take more like 40+ minutes to MOST desirable residential spots in Geneva.

That said there are several spots in DG that are very similar to Geneva and you may want to consider living close to work.

Alternatively the drive between Geneva and DG is not insane, just longer than I would recommend. Throw in some road construction or weather delays and you could be on the road an hour ++...

Old 07-15-2011, 01:28 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,837,160 times
45 minutes or so sounds about right in ideal conditions but expect over an hour during the winter months. It's a doable commute, but won't be fun.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:15 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,663,076 times
I think the commute along 38 would be longer. depending on where in geneva you chose to live and where your job was, the quicker route may be randall to orchard to I88.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:24 PM

Thank you, that's what I thought but it's great to have it confirmed. I'm thinking more like Wheaton/Glen Ellyn area now may be better. Is Wheaton still a dry town?

Old 07-17-2011, 12:46 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,553,771 times
Default Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello8 View Post
Thank you, that's what I thought but it's great to have it confirmed. I'm thinking more like Wheaton/Glen Ellyn area now may be better. Is Wheaton still a dry town?
Restaurants in the downtown area could not compete if they were not allowed to serve patrons alcoholic beverages. Nice spots. You won't find a whole bunch of sports bar type places, but honestly I suspect that if folks wanted that sort of thing the town leaders would have no problem approving a license so long as it was in a part of town that would be OK with that kind of crowd.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:48 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,197,656 times
Default I vote for Downers Grove!

I grew up a couple of miles from Downers Grove and it is a beautiful town. I vote for living close to work! Decreasing your commute time increases your available free time and quality of life, as well as keeping more money in your bank account. In economic terms, because workers seem to stay on jobs shorter lengths of time these days, it makes economic sense to locate in a more centralized area in case you do change jobs in the future. Downers Grove is a more centralized location in the Chicago area than Geneva. Of course, if you need to take care of elderly parents who are out in the Geneva area, that is another story, because you only have one family. If you want to be a bit further north, check out the neighborhoods located near the "Prairie Path" on the former Chicago, Aurora & Elgin electric railway. There are hidden treasures there. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2011, 03:52 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,342,093 times
That's not a commute that I would want to endure on a daily basis. All depends on your tolerance for sitting in the car ~2 hours/day. Glen Ellyn or Wheaton would cut down on your commute quite a bit, but there are many towns even closer and just as charming. TBH, I'd look in DG itself or Clarendon Hills.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:41 PM

Thank you so much for the responses! We were initially looking @ Geneva because entire family is there, but I am all in favor of a 30-min-or-less commute. I'm not too familiar w/ Downer's Grove area but will definitely check it out. I really like that it's on a train line and that it has the historic element as well.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:52 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,837,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello8 View Post
For not having liquor stores, dedicated bars inside the city limits and advertising alcohol yes. Though most all restaurants do serve inside. The only real bars that stay open late like most in the surrounding areas are the two on the outskirts of town town on gary ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs