Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 08:39 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,044 times

Advertisements

Chicagoland, most Latin Americans do have some Spanish blood in them. Yes, they may be more Indian, or black, or even other European, but most have some Spanish. (Or in the case of Brazilians, Portuguese) So, they are at least partly European.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:40 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
You know what promis, you shouldn't move to Orland Park, or a cave in Montana. You should build yourself a time machine, and take it back to 1955. Then all the nasty blacks & Mexicans will know their place and stay out of your lily white neighborhood, and all of the perverted gays will be hiding in the closet while pretending they're straight, and June Cleaver can come by, and wash your clothes, and serve you dinner while wearing a fancy dress, and pearls. Jackass.
Brilliant idea.... Although I think 1955 is still too progressive for him. He should take the time machine back 600,000 years to the Neanderthal period. He could live with one race and drag his woman around by her hair. Although the Neanderthal may have bred w/homo sapiens resulting in modern day humans. So he'd have to deal w/inter-species (not just interracial) marriage which he probably wouldn't like...

Maybe he should take the time machine back farther so that he is the first human on earth (and the only race). Although, since the oldest human fossils were found in Africa, he'd need darker skin color. He probably wouldn't like that either...

Maybe he should try to build a teleporting machine where he could teleport into another species. How about a dog? Oh no, too many different breeds and colors. He does seem like a good jackass as you suggested. Oh, but they breed w/horses...

Old 01-21-2009, 08:46 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,044 times
Also, since he's Italian, he wouldn't be WASP-y enough for June Cleaver. She'd look down on him as a neanderthal. You're onto something there, CUBS.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:06 AM

333 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Urban Princess View Post
Did you say your grandparents came from Italy? Did I read that or do I have cataracts?

What part?

Why did they migrate to the states?

Where did they settle? Did they stay?

Do they live in the suburbs?

Do you have the history on their "flighting"..do share. This should be good.

**brushing up on Italian History**
My grandfather cames from Naples, Italy to Chicago in the 1920s. They migrated to Taylor St. and stayed there for over 50 years, before moving to Elmwood Park. The only reason they left Taylor St. is because their home was being sold through eminent domain for UIC. My grandpa was a butcher, who owned his own meat market and shop on Taylor St. My grandpa came to this country with nothing and did not know how to speak English. America did not cater to his needs and culture and he taught himself how to speak English. He made a great life for his wife and children and had a very successful business. He received no handouts from the government- no public aid, no section 8, no affirmative action. They were proud to become Americans- they acted as they should. Go to work and provide for your family. They never cried racism when they were called deragatory words regarding their ethnicity. It just made my grandpa stronger that led to his successful story.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Brilliant idea.... Although I think 1955 is still too progressive for him. He should take the time machine back 600,000 years to the Neanderthal period. He could live with one race and drag his woman around by her hair. Although the Neanderthal may have bred w/homo sapiens resulting in modern day humans. So he'd have to deal w/inter-species (not just interracial) marriage which he probably wouldn't like...

Maybe he should take the time machine back farther so that he is the first human on earth (and the only race). Although, since the oldest human fossils were found in Africa, he'd need darker skin color. He probably wouldn't like that either...

Maybe he should try to build a teleporting machine where he could teleport into another species. How about a dog? Oh no, too many different breeds and colors. He does seem like a good jackass as you suggested. Oh, but they breed w/horses...
Take it from a guy who lives in a town which has seen a lot of changes in the last 20 years -- there ARE people who think they can go back to the 1950s. They sincerely and truly believe it. Don't bother arguing with them, it will do you no good. Even though they can't generate the 1.21 jigawatts of electricity they need, you'll still need a crowbar to wedge their head out of their ass.

Just let it go.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:15 AM

333 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Take it from a guy who lives in a town which has seen a lot of changes in the last 20 years -- there ARE people who think they can go back to the 1950s. They sincerely and truly believe it. Don't bother arguing with them, it will do you no good. Even though they can't generate the 1.21 jigawatts of electricity they need, you'll still need a crowbar to wedge their head out of their ass.

Just let it go.
Belive me, I am not alone in my thinking. I just have a little more courage than others. I dont blow with the wind as many liberals seem to do. They believe in whatever is in- I stand by my traditional morals and it is a great compliment to say that my thinking is of the 1950s. It may have been the greatest era this country ever experienced.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:21 AM

73 posts, read 163,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by promis1 View Post
Belive me, I am not alone in my thinking. I just have a little more courage than others. I dont blow with the wind as many liberals seem to do. They believe in whatever is in- I stand by my traditional morals and it is a great compliment to say that my thinking is of the 1950s. It may have been the greatest era this country ever experienced.
I know! The Jim Crow laws were awesome!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:22 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
My grandfather cames from Naples, Italy to Chicago in the 1920s. They migrated to Taylor St. and stayed there for over 50 years, before moving to Elmwood Park. The only reason they left Taylor St. is because their home was being sold through eminent domain for UIC. My grandpa was a butcher, who owned his own meat market and shop on Taylor St. My grandpa came to this country with nothing and did not know how to speak English. America did not cater to his needs and culture and he taught himself how to speak English. He made a great life for his wife and children and had a very successful business. He received no handouts from the government- no public aid, no section 8, no affirmative action. They were proud to become Americans- they acted as they should. Go to work and provide for your family. They never cried racism when they were called deragatory words regarding their ethnicity. It just made my grandpa stronger that led to his successful story.
What many people fail to appreciate is that the economic climate is significantly different in a globalized world compared to the early 1900s.

Back then, it was relatively easy for an unskilled immigrant to gain employment in the mighty industrial economy of America. Fast forward 50 years and where are those good-paying industrial jobs which don't require an education? They're almost all gone. Nowadays, to advance from poverty to the middle class, you pretty much need a college education (good luck getting a decent college prep education in CPS.) Sure a lucky few can still get a blue collar union job or a good-paying municipal job, but for the masses, the old American prosperity ladder has lost its first few rungs.

I firmly believe that the most effective social program is a good job. Without the opportunity for meaningful employment, drugs, crime, illegitimacy, and all the societal ills which follow can overwhelm these poor neighborhoods.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:34 AM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
Quote:

I can understand this if you are talking about Mexicans, Russians, Chinese etc.. If you are referring to African Americans, there is NO comparison you could possibly entertain which has any merit or possbility of being conceived from anyone with an IQ of over 80.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:57 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
My grandfather cames from Naples, Italy to Chicago in the 1920s....
In the 1920's, my great-grandparents also immigrated to Chicago from Italy. They had a successful shoe business. Then, my grandfather did the unthinkable - he married a German/Irish woman. This was considered an "interracial" marriage back then and not approved of. Italians were often looked down upon by "whiter Europeans." My maternal great-grandparents did not attend the wedding and disowned my grandmother for many years because of this. When I was a child, elderly relatives often told me that if I married another "****," I'd be disinherited. So that's my Italian immigrant story. And now it happens all over again w/the Mexican immigrants. Is this truly the kind of thinking you want to perpetuate? The kind of world you want to continue to live in?

Did you say you were an Italian in law enforcement? The Chicago Police Commissioner would never have allowed an Italian like you to work in law enforcement in the mid-1900's -

http://www.annoticoreport.com/2008/12/chicago-police-memo-reveals-anti.html

"Then Police Commissioner Michael Hughes in a Memo to Mayor William Everett Dever on May 26, 1923, provides a fascinating insight into the discrimination faced by Italian-Americans in Chicago during the first half of the 20th Century. In response to a suggestion that Italian Americans be enlisted to expand the Chicago Police force , Hughes replied : "The department has been very fortunate to recruit Irishmen, and should stick with success. "Nothing I can presently think of would do more to ruin the Chicago Police Department than to start hiring Dagos in large numbers."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still want to go back to 1955?

Ok, I'm trying to let it go....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs