Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 01:40 PM

158 posts, read 379,615 times

Advertisements

While reading your post Downtown Arlington Heights really jumped out at me as a good idea for you. I want to elaborate a bit more on what others have said about DT AH- living in one of the condos you could walk to
movies
tons of restaurants (CPK, Panera, Noodles, Thai food, Mexican, Sushi, Italian, Pizza etc.)
A few bars (Red moon, some "pub like places")
grocery store (Jewel on Vail)
tanning/ beauty salons
shopping (ann taylor loft, bath and body works, wine stores, running stores, lots of little cute stores)
Metropolis for plays and entertainment, Blockbuster (might be closed now I can't recall)
train station to get to the city (a bit less than an hour ride)
53 and 90 aren't far giving you access to tons more places
probably 15 minutes to Woodfield Mall and all that has to offer ( more shopping, dining etc.)
probably 15/20 to O’Hare etc..

Also Downtown Evanston is awesome, bigger, closer to the city etc. Prospect heights doesn't stand out to me as anything super special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 11:20 PM

19 posts, read 85,665 times
Thanks very much for all your replies.

Living in the city as long as I have...I just can't see myself moving to Arlington Heights. Maybe it's my city snobbery...feeling a sense of discomfort to move that far out...it's also based on the fact that I've never been there! I have much research to do.

I really love the beauty of the North Shore: again, the trees and the types of houses that predominate there.. I just wish there was a more reasonably priced N suburb that offered something comparable. I am an avid walker and don't care for flat, characterless subdivisions with toothpick trees.

More suggestions are welcome.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:20 AM

220 posts, read 745,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoc View Post
I just wish there was a more reasonably priced N suburb that offered something comparable.
Well, you could try Highwood. It is the deal of the north suburbs and still close to the Lake and much of the fun stuff in the north suburbs.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:06 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,279,993 times
Quote:
GeoC wrote:
Thanks very much for all your replies.

Living in the city as long as I have...I just can't see myself moving to Arlington Heights. Maybe it's my city snobbery...feeling a sense of discomfort to move that far out...it's also based on the fact that I've never been there! I have much research to do.

I really love the beauty of the North Shore: again, the trees and the types of houses that predominate there.. I just wish there was a more reasonably priced N suburb that offered something comparable. I am an avid walker and don't care for flat, characterless subdivisions with toothpick trees.

More suggestions are welcome.
Hi Geo C.
Before I bought a townhouse in Arlington Heights, I looked at Evanston. I really liked the Central Av. corridor. Couldn't find anything affordable-back 16 years ago. So I started looking in Arlington Heights and Buffalo Grove after a friend suggested it. Arlington Heights is NOT "characterless subdivisions with toothpick trees." I moved within walking distance of Lake Arlington, which is a 50 acre lake with a 2 mile walking/biking path around it. They offer sailboating & kayaking and even plow it during the winter. The only downside is it's too far to walk to downtown Arlington Heights. Downtown is an easy and safe bike ride away. The community I'm in has townhomes and single family homes and it was built 20 years ago. So mature trees with established neighborhoods all around. Evanston IS more urban and closer to Chicago. Park Ridge is also more urban feeling, with a modestly active downtown and is closer to Chicago than Arlington Heights. But please don't characterize Arlington Heights in with the other "moonscape-just built on a cornfield" subdivisions found in some of the farther out suburbs. You might end up with a choice of staying North Shore with it's walkability advantages & expensive housing or the choice of a suburb like Arlington Heights, that is a little farther out but is less expensive and still has trees, character and walkability. Good luck let us know if you need more specifics.
Here are some helpful links:
Great Place to Live and Work or Play
AHPD - Lake Arlington (http://www.ahpd.org/Parks&Facilities/LakeArl/LakeArlington.html - broken link)

Old 12-18-2008, 08:12 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,279,993 times
GeoC, something I didn't find in your previous posts: are you looking to rent or buy. If you buy, how large of a place do you want? Condo, townhouse or single family? What kind of price range?
This will determine a lot as you community shop.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:39 AM

Thank you very much, Cubssoxfan and others who replied. : )

I am interested in a single-family home: preferably 2+ bdrms, 2+ baths, and 2 car garage. Currently, I prefer to shop in the suburbs because I can park easily. I make my way to downtown Chicago fairly frequently, so want to be able to do that without too much trouble.

I like the 'energy' and diversity of the city but absolutely tired of the congestion, living stacked on top of other people, and more than anything- feeling confined in a small, 1 bdrm apt.

I work at home and am rather a homebody. I'm an avid walker and would love a great walking neighborhood with lots of tall trees and shade. I'd like to look out my window at greenery and trees. Right now, I can walk to Target- it's so close. When I visited a friend in Barrington recently, seems like we drove for miles...25 min later we were at Target. That would be hard for me to get used to as I don't like long car rides to do errands. What I like about where I live now, is that I can walk to Jewel, to the fruit market, to the bank, etc. I will miss that, but hopefully, will enjoy other benefits.

I really appreciate your helpful posts!!

Old 12-20-2008, 11:44 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,477,336 times
Default What the???

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoc View Post
Thank you very much, Cubssoxfan and others who replied. : )

I am interested in a single-family home: preferably 2+ bdrms, 2+ baths, and 2 car garage. Currently, I prefer to shop in the suburbs because I can park easily. I make my way to downtown Chicago fairly frequently, so want to be able to do that without too much trouble.

I like the 'energy' and diversity of the city but absolutely tired of the congestion, living stacked on top of other people, and more than anything- feeling confined in a small, 1 bdrm apt.

I work at home and am rather a homebody. I'm an avid walker and would love a great walking neighborhood with lots of tall trees and shade. I'd like to look out my window at greenery and trees. Right now, I can walk to Target- it's so close. When I visited a friend in Barrington recently, seems like we drove for miles...25 min later we were at Target. That would be hard for me to get used to as I don't like long car rides to do errands. What I like about where I live now, is that I can walk to Jewel, to the fruit market, to the bank, etc. I will miss that, but hopefully, will enjoy other benefits.

I really appreciate your helpful posts!!
Some one who is worried banality that shops at Target?
mirabile dictu

Old 12-20-2008, 12:09 PM

Even 'artsy' people need TP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs