Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Elmwood Park... rate this area for living???
Absolutely, great place to live 3 50.00%
It's alright... not much ever happens there 2 33.33%
Hell NO!!! It's a dump 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 45,331 times

Advertisements

To those in the know...

I'm planning on buying a home and have set me sights on Elmwood Park. Reasoning being the area appears well kept for its age and the small yet noticable growth the community is currently displaying. It would appear from my past few visits to the area that it is a somewhat peaceful quite community.

I don't mind the fact that many of the homes I've seen thus far are older and in need of modernizing in some areas. I actually welcome the work that'll be involved and look forward to making the home the way I want it.

My question is... I've seen some previous posts on th topic of Elmwood Park but no one really went into details about it.

I was hoping someone who is living in the area or very close to it could shed some light on that area for me with their experiences living in that region.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Z
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 01:25 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,309 times
Default anything specific?

What else were you wondering about? There's nothing wrong with living there other than older, smaller houses and the public school system ain't so hot. Catholic schools in area are fine. would say it's a family oriented, blue collar middle class type of place. If I were single and looking for an active younger scene I'd probably look elsewhere.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:47 PM

4 posts, read 45,331 times
I'm not one for the active single scene anymore (be there done that) I'm mainly interested in buying a home in a peaceful area that isn't far from work (near California and Roscoe).

I'm a true DIY'er that can't wait to tear into a home that is dated and turn it around into a nicely updated home. A place I can return to each week day and have peacful relaxation as well as on the weekends.

I currently live in the Wicker Park area, and I'm ready to scream I feel so clostrophobic in that area. Too many people and way too much noise. That is one thing I noticed right away about Elmwood Park... it wasn't too loud or busy.

I guess I was wondering about any short comings about the area? I've read as much as I could find about Elmwood Park on-line (postings and census reports)... are there any trouble areas within it? Does trouble pour into it from surrounding areas? Just how bad are the public schools? Basically any details no matter how small... I'm curious to know...

Old 02-26-2007, 02:29 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
We live in Oak Park. From our perspective, EP seems like a nice, quiet suburb. Crime is very low, and the adjacent Chicago neighborhood (Galewood/Montclare) is fairly crime free as well. Not exciting by any means, even by low Oak Park standards, but you seem okay with that. The houses seem well-kept. I think the schools are okay, but not great.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:21 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,309 times
agree with everything sukwoo said

Old 03-02-2007, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 8,945 times
I was actually born and raised in EP. I have I have lived/owned in Oak Park and River Forest. When my wife and I got married we moved back to EP.

It is quiet, you will definatley get your money back. A lot of the older homes are being torn down and huge homes going up. Drive through some time, there is construction everywhere. The owner of Chicagos Brazza just bought a home on my block. I think he paid a little over 300k. Tore it down and built the largest home on the block.

There is a lot of village pride, great community. Im biased but its a great compromise between city and burbs.
Garbage pickup, street cleaning, rake your leaves into the street, great village works. Just all around good stuff. The schools are getting crowded because the city is growing a lot lately. There is a huge surge of polish and european immigrants in the area.
Just my .02

Old 03-05-2007, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 8,930 times
ep is fine but i know for a fact there are a lot of houses for sale in Oak Park, you may find a fixer upper...i would also consider OP...it is a buyers market in OP right now

Old 03-25-2007, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 8,871 times
I'm moving to elmwood park because it's a great place to live.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:09 PM

23 posts, read 153,801 times
I've lived in elmwood park for 8 years, its pretty quiet and not much happens here. I like having jonnies beef around the corner, as far as the schools I dont much about since Im in college. Overall its a pretty nice place, and the house are going up in value in a hurry. I dont cross into river forest, since I'm hispanic, those cops stopped me one for littering and I had 4 squad cars all in my face. I was only like 18 but I didnt get a good image of their police department. The EP cops are more reasonable, and much more down to earth. Maybe its that river forest is not a diverse area.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:14 PM

23 posts, read 153,801 times
I've lived in elmwood park for 8 years, its pretty quiet and not much happens here(so hence its a great lace to live). I like having jonnies beef around the corner, as far as the schools I dont much about since Im in college. Overall its a pretty nice place, and the house are going up in value in a hurry. I dont cross into river forest, since I'm hispanic, those cops stopped me one for littering and I had 4 squad cars all in my face. I was only like 18 but I didnt get a good image of their police department. The EP cops are more reasonable, and much more down to earth. Maybe its that river forest is not a diverse area. EP is on the border of Chi on the east, but I havent heard of much crime happening here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs