Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:18 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,206 times

Advertisements

Also, how much space is necessary? For 1000-14000/mo you can afford almost anywhere listed in previous responses if you have no space requirements. However, if you need a certain amount of space to be happy, it rules out some of the more expensive areas on the list, such as Park Ridge (especially the downtown area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 12:29 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I live in Chicago, so I can shed a lot of light on the accuracy of HowDeDo's post. It's total rubbish.

Yes Steve-O, it's one of the silliest posts of the year, along with the guy who was afraid of mobsters at his University.
That post (about the mobsters) is definitely the silliest post of the year (excluding the numerous racist rant posts.)

Old 12-02-2008, 12:48 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
My personal pick close to O'Hare would be Park Ridge or a neighborhood on the Northwest Side of the city like Jefferson Park (Blue Line access, baby!). But the Tribune just had an article about how the new runway at O'Hare that recently opened has seriously increased jet noise in Park Ridge, so I'd want to check that out.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:58 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default The noise pattern is new, and pretty far to the north...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
My personal pick close to O'Hare would be Park Ridge or a neighborhood on the Northwest Side of the city like Jefferson Park (Blue Line access, baby!). But the Tribune just had an article about how the new runway at O'Hare that recently opened has seriously increased jet noise in Park Ridge, so I'd want to check that out.

The folks that are getting it worse are on the Rosemont/Desplaines border -- the planes are much lower of there. Park Ridge is still pretty quiet, You take a few bored whiners with time on their hands and BAM news story material...

Old 12-02-2008, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,546 times
Thanks everyone for all the interesting infomation...A short commute to work would be nice. I am a dental hygienist and my bf is a pilot. We are open to commuting but like I said a shorter commute to work would be nice. I do plan on having and using my own transportation but it would be nice for my bf to take a metro to the airport. I don't mind a little traffic and noise. What I consider safe? Being able to go outside for a walk in the park, a bike ride, ect..I am originally from Wisconsin, currently live in Hawaii and want to move a little closer to home. I am really unfamiliar with Chicago suburbs so your opinions have been great. Thank you all.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
It is a little bit of a hassle to take Metra rail to ORD -- you can take it to the remote parking lot and transfer to the people mover, but it is bit indirect. Not a bad option from parts of Wheeling or Prospect Heights, but those are not the closest 'burbs: Metra / North Central Service Schedules

Probably easier to take the Blue Line from Chicago or other burbs like Norridge or Park Ridge...

The NW side of the City is pretty safe too. That might be our best option, at elast from a commute and 'value' stand point.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
lol

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

What do you say, folks? Dumbest post of the year so far?
You can't swing a dead cat without finding a ridiculous post on this forum, but you take the good with the bad. It's a bell curve -- a little bad, a few great posts, but mostly people making common-sense conversation. But yes, that post was on the severe slope of the dumb end of the curve.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:54 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Living along the Blue Line would be great for you commute-wise. If you look in the city, just be a bit wary of certain parts of Old Irving, Avondale, and Logan Square--though none of these neighborhoods are among the worst in the city or anything. Bucktown/Wicker Park is a very popular hip happenin' area of the city. Jefferson Park and Norwood Park have Blue Line stops, and are city "bungalow belt" neighborhoods. I personally would not recommend Rosemont.

If you just want to drive to the Airport, you can live in pretty much any suburb near the airport or with good freeway/tollway access. I mentioned Park Ridge earlier because it has a nice walkable downtown area (actually called "Uptown")--and it's very close to O'Hare.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:35 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
My neighborhood in Arlington Heights might be appealing. It's called Lake Arlington and is a mixed, master planned community that's 20 years old. Has mix of townhomes and single family homes. Mix of retirees, young professionals and families. Association is very well run with low fees. Trees are 20+ years old, and landscping is nice, so you're not in a recently plowed over farm field. You have a modest fitness center, moderately sized indoor/outdoor pool and tennis courts. You are walking distance to Lake Arlington which is a 50 acre lake with a 2 mile path around it. AHPD - Lake Arlington (http://www.ahpd.org/Parks&Facilities/LakeArl/LakeArlington.html#Existing%20Facilities - broken link) They even snow plow the path during the winter. If you like cycling, there are many on road and off road venues. You are also by the Prospect Heights bike path which is about a 3 mile path that ends at the Prospect Heights Metra station. That line will take you to O'Hare. You are a 10 minute car ride from the Wheeling and Propect Hts stations. You also are close to the NW Metra line with stations at Arlington Heights downtown and Arlington Park. I like Arlington Park because parking is easier.
Shopping is 5 minutes away and Woodfield is a quick 15 minute trip. Arlington Heights has a great library, good Park District and a decent downtown (By suburban standards) You are also part of Prospect Heights park district and Library district since our neighborhood attends Prospect Heights school. You also can use Indian Trails Library, which is 2 miles north, and Wheeling Park District offers discounts on some of their programs. Their new fitness center is really decent and pretty close by.

Here is a link to the Chamber of Commerce Great Place to Live and Work or Play

Since we are farther north of O'Hare, plane noise isn't much of an issue. Staying off the Tollways (rush hour moving parking lots) you can be at O'Hare in less than 30 minutes. Done it many times. Non rush hour Tollway run is 20 minutes or less.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 13,750 times
Oak Park, Illinois is about halfway between O'Hare and Midway (a ~30 minute drive to each,) but it has a stunning downtown with TONS of stores and restaurants. It has a world-class public school system in case you have kids, and despite its location bordering the rough neighborhood of Austin, it is an extremely safe community.
Chet Everett recommends Maywood, Bellwood, and Cicero, but all have very high crime rates so I don't recommend them.
Overall, I highly recommend Oak Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs