Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 12:32 PM

10 posts, read 28,206 times

Advertisements

I live in Orlando where theme parks are king, and $55 doesn't sound that bad (and I saw on the Six Flags website that you can get a pretty good discount if you purchase online). Here Disney, Universal and Sea World up their prices practically every year, and now it's approaching $70 a DAY (plus at least $12 for parking). Either way, it all works out to an expensive family outing.

Looks like your Six Flags has some cool rides...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 06:12 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,111 times
I'm sorry----but I see all the knuckleheads in six flags and out in around Gurnee after a day at the park-----and all I can say is thank god the beer isn't flowing there. Anyway, Six Flags has a stated goal of transforming the park to more of a kids park and less of a teen/young adult coaster/thrill haven---which is fine with me.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:39 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,932 times
I dont understand how gurnee has all of the revenue coming from six flags and gurnee mills and it doesnt show. Think about all of those tax dollars you would think gurnee would be amazing

Old 09-21-2008, 08:13 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
I dont understand how gurnee has all of the revenue coming from six flags and gurnee mills and it doesnt show. Think about all of those tax dollars you would think gurnee would be amazing

Ok--- what parts of Gurnee have you been too? If your talking about the Mills and Six Flags, thats just a small area. You get a pretty wide mix in Gurnee from very tourist areas like I mentioned above to very upscale new housing around Bittersweet Woods, wide open country (farms actually) off of Washington St., great wide open parks like Hunt Club park and the Warren Township center. We have the Des Plaines River Trail going through town and Independence Grove to the south. Gurnee is a tree city USA ---but you have to leave the I94 area to see this part of Gurnee. There is a nice town center on old grand avenue with parks and walkable space as well as O plaine rd with the a new police station, post office and fairly new library. Gurnee has a great park district with many, many parks to choose from and a new community center and aquatic park.

Gurnee has a very active Little League,. Gurnee Youth Baseball, which has 7 fields at the corner of Grand Ave and Milwaukee/21.

There are two school districts, Gurnee district 56 and Woodland 50. Gurnee 56 boundaries cover homes east of Six flags and Woodland 50 west and north of six flags. Woodland 50 is generally regarded as the preferred district. Warren Township high school has two campuses, the O'Plaines campus for 9th and 10th grade and the Almond Rd. campus for 11th and 12th grade. Warren has an excellent tennis program, as two out of the last three years they have produced the boys state tennis singles champions.

One advantage to living in Gurnee is that Gurnee does not charge its residents a village portion of a property tax and there is no vehicle sticker to purchase, both of which saves several hundred dollars per year.

Now, for criticism, Gurnee became so large so fast that the village did not think through a street scape plan and let retail run wild. Strip malls and Gurnee Mills line Grand Ave and Gurnee Mills is becoming outdated very fast with its indoor approach and pot hole ridden parking lots. Gurnee Mills is a haven for Sailors and gang bangers from Waukegan or Chicago on weekend evenings---especially at the Marcus theater at the mall. Most residents in Gurnee stay away on the weekends from Gurnee Mills. The single biggest improvement for Gurnee would be to turn Gurnee Mills from a crappy outlet mall appealing to bottom feeders, into an upscale life style center (i love that term ever since i read it in these forums...lol). This has been talked about with the company that owns the Mills. With all the Sailors, transients, tourists and out of towner's you get a lot of tentative driving on Grand Ave. because people are not familiar with the area. With Six Flags food pricing so high, many kids walk across busy Grand Avenue risking their lives to get a $1 burger at BK. Gurnee does not have a lot of fine dining choices but if you like chains your in the right town. If you look there are some independent restaurants but you have to leave the Grand Ave. I-94 area. Most of my neighbors in town are people who work for Abbott, Baxter, Motorola or some of the other companies located in the immediate area. Gurnee is mostly a town with 30 and 40's raising children, middle to upper middle class.

Last edited by lakecountylifer; 09-21-2008 at 08:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs