Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 10:00 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
I never understood why Maywood and Bellwood are considered so horrible. Driving around all *residential* neighborhoods, everything looks clean and well-kept-up, same as most suburbs of similar vintage.
Bellwood shouldn't be lumped together with Maywood. Bellwood has significantly less crime, and is on par with Berwyn, Forest Park, and only slightly worse than Oak Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 10:38 AM

3,495 posts, read 2,183,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Bellwood shouldn't be lumped together with Maywood. Bellwood has significantly less crime, and is on par with Berwyn, Forest Park, and only slightly worse than Oak Park.
According to city-data, Berwyn experiences the least amount of crime of the 5 suburbs mentioned above.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:45 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
People see the nice Madison Street corridor in Forest Park and think it's nicer than it is. I think a lot of Oak Park and River Forest patronage keeps that strip alive and vibrant. Take that away, and Forest Park is basically another Bellwood or Hillside with CTA access.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:07 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Maybe true. Not everyone can afford Wheaton and Glen Ellyn. I think if the millenials start buying houses maybe they will move to these inner suburbs if they can get houses cheap enough. Its amazing when you actually start to buy a first house what you need to compromise on.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:25 PM

62 posts, read 91,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Maybe true. Not everyone can afford Wheaton and Glen Ellyn. I think if the millenials start buying houses maybe they will move to these inner suburbs if they can get houses cheap enough. Its amazing when you actually start to buy a first house what you need to compromise on.
What I can't figure out is where the working-class portion of the age 25 - 40 crowd is at right now. There are a lot of young Whites who can't afford to buy into the desirable suburbs that are always talked about on this forum, but they also aren't buying into the undesirable neighborhoods that cause everyone on this forum to hold their noses. Are they spending beyond their means to live in the desirable suburbs for a little while and then filing for bankruptcy when they can no longer pay the mortgage? Are they still living with their parents? Are they leaving the Chicago suburbs and/or Illinois entirely? Are they going rural/exurb, where housing costs are cheaper but commutes are longer? Are they renting rather than buying?

I get the feeling that there was a mass exodus of working-class Whites (the parents of the people we're talking about) from Chicagoland years ago and the remainder are either getting old and dying or trying to find a way out. It would be interesting to know where they're going.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:19 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Many of them live in the city in apartments. Others still live with their parents. I have cousins who are adults and still live with their parents. Some of them even went to college and they have decent jobs but they are not married and have school loans. Some young people go far out to places out west of Rt. 59 because housing is cheaper. Some still live in rentals with room mates. It really depends. My son and his friends love the city...they would not want to go out to the far burbs but others like the burbs it all depends. Some are buying cheaper places in the inner ring suburbs. Its hard to generalize, as its kind of a mixed lot from the people I know. It seems a lot are renting. Many will rent rather than go to a inner suburb that they might be able to afford.
Here is an example from my family and friends:
my son lives in my two flat, single 28
cousin single 30, lives with his mom in Bensenville
cousin single 26 lives with mom and dad in Villa Park
cousin 29, married just bought a house in Wood Dale
cousin single 24, goes to COD lives with mom and dad in Villa Park
Friends daughter just got married, lives in apt, in Naperville.
son's friends, single, four of them rent a house in Logan Square
son's friend, had a baby lives in apt. in Ukrainian village.

I don't see any of them buying and then declaring bankruptcy. As you see, few of these people are really ready to buy a house.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:29 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccidentExpress View Post
What I can't figure out is where the working-class portion of the age 25 - 40 crowd is at right now.
Hanover Park, Streamwood, Bartlet, Roselle, Carol Stream, Lisle, Lombard, Villa Park, Addison, Bensenville.... Or realy far out in places like Huntley, Elburn, Monee, New Lenox, etc...

Old 04-20-2015, 12:40 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times
I'm a Millennial. I'm under 30, married with children, and recently bought in Wheaton. I have many friends in Wheaton now with similar demographic profiles.

I'm not working class though.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,932 times
Ill give you my opinions about Maywood, IL ok, first Maywood is a very difficult town there so it's easy to get lost, second the crime rate in Maywood is severely high, and it's easy to get robbed over there, also Maywood is one of the most dangerous towns in Illinois before Harvey, IL, do not let your kids or even think about walking with your kids through that area even if you're new to the Chicagoland area, this is the last place you ever want to go to if your going through Chicago's Suburbs seriously

Old 07-03-2015, 04:36 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
About 20 years ago I often had to go there and I took Metra to Maywood and walked to Hines. Never had a problem walking down 5th Avenue. You didn't note where you'd be living, but somewhere along the UP-W line would be good. The alernate of Riverside to Hines is a little longer, but through better neighborhoods. You are prudent to be looking at Metra; driving to work any distance over 10 miles can be a bear.

Last edited by pvande55; 07-03-2015 at 04:40 AM.. Reason: Add alternate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs