Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:34 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times

Advertisements

I've had reason to be in Maywood quite a bit in the last few weeks to help a friend, and I am always shocked to see what a dump this town has become. It has to be one of the worst suburbs in Chicagoland. I know it's been a bit rough for quite some time, but when did it turn the corner to become a city-like slum? I used to visit family members in Oak Park and Brookfield quite a bit in the 70s and 80s, and don't remember Maywood being a place that needed to be avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 08:12 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
The major employer, the American Can company went out of business in the late 1970s. Things pretty much went downhill after that.

Maywood, IL

Old 03-17-2008, 08:33 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Yeah - they have had a number of shootings in the last couple years there. Not a good rep unfortunately. I hope they can turn it around.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:20 PM

12 posts, read 90,675 times
I grew up (birth to seven) in Broadview, which is near Maywood. My parents moved out in '85 because the knew things were going downhill over there. Of course, there's bad stuff in every suburb, in my opinion at least.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:22 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Yeah - they have had a number of shootings in the last couple years there. Not a good rep unfortunately. I hope they can turn it around.
I am told it is rapidly depopulating right now. Since communities don't become bad by act of God, maybe this is just what Maywood needs.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Maywood has been a pit for as long as I can remember, going back to 1980 or so. To say there's been "a few shootings" is an understatement of the first order. Maywood has averaged about 10 murders a year for a decade now, which is astonishing for a city of 25,000. For some perspective... That's about the same number of murders per year as Aurora (pop. 150,000) and Joliet (pop. 140,000), two cities generally regarded as not-optimal places to live.

Maybe depopulation isn't such a bad thing; perhaps after that, Mexican immigrants can move in and get the place a little bit of life.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:12 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maywood has been a pit for as long as I can remember, going back to 1980 or so. To say there's been "a few shootings" is an understatement of the first order. Maywood has averaged about 10 murders a year for a decade now, which is astonishing for a city of 25,000. For some perspective... That's about the same number of murders per year as Aurora (pop. 150,000) and Joliet (pop. 140,000), two cities generally regarded as not-optimal places to live.

Maybe depopulation isn't such a bad thing; perhaps after that, Mexican immigrants can move in and get the place a little bit of life.
Does that necessarily mean that Maywood is worse than the rough areas of Aurora/Joliet? Those population numbers are buoyed by all the subdivision growth and annexation of the past 15-20 years. As Maywood is surrounded on all sides by other inner ring burbs, there is no sprawl growth to dilute the murder rate in the older areas.

Basically, I'm not arguing that Maywood is in great shape, but it's in no worse shape than the parts of Aurora/Joliet where most of the murders/crime take place.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
I can't speak for Joliet, but with regard to Aurora, I have to disagree. Maywood is in far worse shape than even the bad parts of Aurora. There is no neighborhood of Aurora that is SO awful that you look around and wonder how people live like this. Can't say the same for Maywood.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 12,154 times
Default maywood is on the move

Well I don't know the complete history of Maywood, but from what I've been told it was once a very nice well to do suburb. There was an airport, racetrack and some industry. I just moved there and am in the process of rehabbing an incredible mansion. I understand that the area is a bit rough, but I am an optimist. Where else can you buy a 4 bed, 5 bath, 2 kitchen brick home with a coach house for under 200k. I say, let's take this place over. There are alot of beautiful homes in the area, some people just don't know what they have. Property values are way below what they would normally be in other areas, and since the market is down you can get a great deal. There are some risk takers willing to take a gamble and wait it out moving in, and I am one of them. Linclon park was not always as pretty as it is now, it once was a slum. It just takes some vision for changes to be made.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:13 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Maywood actually has a lot of gorgeous old homes. If you go down, say, 1st Ave. and just look at the architecture, you could be in Oak Park. Then you look at how decrepit all those homes are, the vacant lots, barred windows, liquor stores and pawn shops, the illusion disappears quickly. If you love cities, it truly is sad. After the white flight that has occurred, perhaps the best thing that could happen is black flight. If the massive Hispanic population growth that's occurring in all the surrounding towns spills over into Maywood, that may lead to a revitalization. As bad a rep as Cicero has, there are some positives. Homes in most neighborhoods are well maintained, and business districts throughout the town are fairly vibrant, and filled with a wide variety of shops and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs