Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 01:18 PM

76 posts, read 162,527 times

Advertisements

I'm considering taking a job in Chicago within walking distance of Union Station. Does anyone have any sense to how the train commute from Prairie Crossing is?

Do a lot of people do this or would you recommend living closer to the city?

Also, we love the Prairie Crossing sub-division but similar homes in Gurnee/Grayslake are much cheaper and the $90 a month assesment is a big high (not including the grayslake taxes).

Anyone live in Prairie Crossing on here ??? I would love to hear your opinions. (It seems that some of the homes are a bit run down since I last looked 4 years ago, many need paint on their trims .. etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 01:46 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,752,942 times
Look like its a 70 minute train ride.
Metra - Welcome to Metra

I have friends in Prairie Crossing and they LOVE it. You are paying extra for the prestige and for the planned community aspects of it - which I don't know all the ins and outs, but there's a farmers market, and horse barn, and trails, etc. So if you like it for that, that's why you pay the extra $$.

I think the development is starting age a bit - its not brand new any more, and even when it was first build, they gave it a more "weathered" look. So its going to look more rustic than a traditional subdivision with grass lawns.

Could also be a number of residents are feeling the bites of ARM's going up, or other financial crunches.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:22 PM

Yeah I know the homes have a different look to them but we just drove through the subdivision and you can tell that the porches and window trims are looking very rough on some houses.

We saw a house we loved and if the taxes were lower we would make an offer. Also, I was worried that the prairie style landscaping is making people a little lazy about keeping up there house (not talking about landscaping!). Unless it's the ARM issue, maybe I can sit back and see if I can leverage someone and get a good price.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:56 AM

Interesting - was that in the area where the larger houses are, or where things are tighter together.

Well, the people I know are rabid about their landscaping, so I wouldn't personally jump to that conclusion. It might also be the time of year- if things are going to get out of hand, it usually shows in Aug-Sep.

Good luck, and let us know how that goes!

Just in case you don't have it - there's a website for Prairie Crossing.
Prairie Crossing -- a conservation community

Old 08-28-2008, 08:44 AM

The landscaping was fine with most houses. It was more or less the exterier of a lot of the house that is starting to really show!

We found a great house with a nice yard but I'm worried about the taxes, $90 a month assesment, plus whether the values will go up in the future if resisdents aren't keeping up their painting!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:45 AM

Yeah, I can't add much more insight. I know I thought the home values were pretty high, but its out of my range in general, so I don't really know what's reasonable. Its hard to judge b/c of the "value added."

Old 01-10-2009, 11:44 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,363,229 times
I take that train from Gurnee when I go downtown. Express 4:40 train out of Union takes 1 hour, else it is closer to 1 hr 15 min.

I like the Prairie Crossing subdivision. Big focus on being green too, fyi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs