Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:12 PM

70 posts, read 210,659 times

Advertisements

Have you tried Myspace? They have classifieds, which seem to get a lot of use.

I've moved a lot for work and have always used Craigslist or roomster or roomates.com. I've lived with some unique people, but they were all harmless. Just strange, in some cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 06:10 PM

440 posts, read 1,506,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samma View Post
I have a 2 bedroom place so really need a roommate asap to help cut the costs. I dont need to be friends with them, just have someone who isn't a 30 year old man. There $750 a month would help SO much.
ABSOLUTELY! You'd be FAR better off with a couple of beer guzzling, foul-mouthed, cigar-smoking, all-night-partying 18-year-olds! You'll LOVE coming home to a pile of unwashed dishes, a plugged toilet, extreme cage fighting on TV, and old-school (gangsta rap) blasting on the stereo! Heck, I've even got a nineteen year old son who needs a roomate! Have you considered moving to Pilsen?

All kidding aside (and I am kidding), the bottom line is: beggars can't be choosers, and YOU'VE got to figure out which you are.

So my advice is put your ego aside and do the math: you can either afford to be choosy or you can't. If you CAN'T afford to be choosy, you suck up and you go with the best candidate(s) you can find. If you CAN afford to be choosy, you don't. Simple as that. It ain't rocket science, and if you don't end up with what you wanted, learn from your mistake so it doesn't happen again.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:31 AM

73 posts, read 201,738 times
What I can't afford is to end up living with a guy(or party girl for that matter)having to ask them to leave and restart the search all over again. I really don't wnat to live with a guy I don't know, but more willing on a student than a guy who is 12+ years older. I guess lets put it this way, would you want you 18 year old who just moved to a random city(2,000 miles from home) living with a 30 year old man she found on Craigslist? To me it just doesn't seem like I could go anywhere but bad. Oh and any cigar smokers/big drinkers would be ruled out. I am really looking for a female who just graduated/is a grad student. Not a crazy college kid. I can afford the place bymyself for awhile, would I like a roommate now??? Yes, do I want to live with someone who makes me uncomfortable to save a few grand? NO.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:47 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,691,579 times
I don't think it's weird that you wouldn't want to live with a much older man. That's creepy. The last thing you need is to end up with a pervert who could hurt you.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:36 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,047,747 times
Maybe craigslist isn't the best website to be searching for this sort of thing because that website offers a lot of other questionable services. If I was you, I would look into more reputable websites that might help you in your quest. Best of Luck to you!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:39 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,691,579 times
Craigslist has plenty of reputable folks on it, but as with any site, because anyone can be on it, there will be crazies and creeps.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:39 PM

440 posts, read 1,506,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samma View Post
I guess lets put it this way, would you want you 18 year old who just moved to a random city(2,000 miles from home) living with a 30 year old man she found on Craigslist?
Probably not. But I wouldn't put my 18-year-old daughter in a strange city 2000 miles away in an apartment she can't afford, either.

So if she came to me with a story like yours, I would:

A. Chew her out for being a schnook.
B. Tell her to suck up to the mooch, con him into taking the lease in his own name, and into paying most, if not ALL of the rent.
C. If he tries to get funny, smack 'em in the head with a baseball bat.

I would also recommend that she:

D. Start looking for a roommate situation immediately with girls who already have an apartment.
E. Move out and stick the mooch with the lease, because
F. That's what he gets for trying to move in on an 18-year-old girl.

Problem solved. Welcome to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs