Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:58 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,923,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
Da Heights is a big suburb. There are some OK spots, bad spots and very middle-class and upscale neighborhod. A lot Da Heights is unsafe. Avoid the east side at all cost. South of lincoln hwy is very iffy. Avoid the beacon hills and the area around Wilson elementary. The best part is near Marion Catholic or anywhere south of Lincoln Hwy and east of Chicago Rd. People forget about Serena Hills b/w Volmer Rd and Holbrook Rd is in H-F school district. YES!!! thats Da Heights. And the homes there are pretty affordable.

I hate when people down CC Hills or Hazel Crest and they know nothing about it. There is nothing wrong with that area. I hate when people down a community they know nothing about. I wouldn't worry about the "thugs"--wannabees-from CC Hills going into t
he H-F area. Believe me there is absolutely no threat coming from freakin CC Hills for goodness sakes. An someone mentioned Glenwood as being threatening? Glenwood!?! Someone is seriously misinformed.
This is one of the more honest posts I've seen. I definitely agree, and I have yet to see the "thugs" from Country Club Hills. Maybe that's why I LIVE in the area! lol Lordy, Lordy, people are so misinformed. The fact that they are OKAY with being misinformed, and then go around and spread it...yikes~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 11:04 AM

947 posts, read 2,426,762 times
My son drives to the show in CCH, never thought about NOT letting him. Never a problem. Also, we go to that shopping strip to the Guitar Center and the uniform store.
Hope your holidays were great, Dee.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
My son drives to the show in CCH, never thought about NOT letting him. Never a problem. Also, we go to that shopping strip to the Guitar Center and the uniform store.
Hope your holidays were great, Dee.
My holidays were wonderful. Thanks! I took some time off from the internet and working I hope your holidays were beautiful!

I love that guitar store, I remember buying some things from there a while ago, but now I mostly trade with friends for my music stuff now.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:40 PM

151 posts, read 414,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
Da Heights is a big suburb. There are some OK spots, bad spots and very middle-class and upscale neighborhod. A lot Da Heights is unsafe. Avoid the east side at all cost. South of lincoln hwy is very iffy. Avoid the beacon hills and the area around Wilson elementary. The best part is near Marion Catholic or anywhere south of Lincoln Hwy and east of Chicago Rd. People forget about Serena Hills b/w Volmer Rd and Holbrook Rd is in H-F school district. YES!!! thats Da Heights. And the homes there are pretty affordable.

I hate when people down CC Hills or Hazel Crest and they know nothing about it. There is nothing wrong with that area. I hate when people down a community they know nothing about. I wouldn't worry about the "thugs"--wannabees-from CC Hills going into the H-F area. Believe me there is absolutely no threat coming from freakin CC Hills for goodness sakes. An someone mentioned Glenwood as being threatening? Glenwood!?! Someone is seriously misinformed.
You meant NORTH of Lincoln Hwy and east of Chicago Rd., right?

I'm from the area and I've always wondered one thing about the Heights-what's the deal with Beacon Hill? It's all detached single family houses and looks to date from the 60's or 70's, but has always been considered a very dangerous no-go zone, maybe even more so than the east side. Sort of like the neighboring "Eastgate" section of Park Forest, only more so.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeTheRustBelt View Post
You meant NORTH of Lincoln Hwy and east of Chicago Rd., right?

I'm from the area and I've always wondered one thing about the Heights-what's the deal with Beacon Hill? It's all detached single family houses and looks to date from the 60's or 70's, but has always been considered a very dangerous no-go zone, maybe even more so than the east side. Sort of like the neighboring "Eastgate" section of Park Forest, only more so.
Just don't go, okay?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:17 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,083,359 times
Quote:
I've never lived in Beacon Hill so I suppose I'm an outsider. Although I've spent a lot of time there so I suppose one could say I've heard a fair amount of "insider" information.

It's a poor and overwhelmingly black neighborhood. Simply put, that's A LOT of "the deal". They have their own Beacon Hill middle school and it used to be that the high school age kids attended Rich East in Park Forest. Recently, many parents just weren't down with sending their kids to school with those nasty Beacon Hill kids so now they attend Bloom instead.

I don't know about "detached family homes" but there are a number of single mothers living there. There's racially mixed households (ie: there are a few white people who live there). There are a number of different related households living in that same neighborhood. Kinda weird, but yeah. I once said that if Beacon Hill was white, people would be making cracks about inbreeding. The response was "no one really dates other people from Beacon hill though".

If you are white and roll through there at night, it is likely you will be flagged by some guy who wants to sell you a small sack of bad weed. If you are white and there regularly (like me), expect to be pulled over and car searched by the Park Forest police on Western Avenue who assume that's the only business you would have being there. Don't go to Beacon Hill to buy weed. And if you're ever headed out that way, make sure you have nothing illegal in the car. Follow these simple two rules and you'll be okay.

There's crime there but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. For the most part, it's pretty quiet. You will see a few run down and/or abandoned houses. There are small-time drug dealers. No hookers or any nonsense like that. You'll see folks watering their lawn, children playing outside and teenagers on the basketball court. Lots of potholes that the city couldn't care less about and it's illegal for citizens to fix a pothole themselves. During the winter, the snow isn't always plowed like it is elsewhere. There's a stray dog who wanders around the neighborhood. A homeless guy hangs out by Beacon Hill groceries..

Does this answer you question? Hopefully it did.

Last edited by urza216; 03-14-2010 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: adding more info and fixing typos, :-)

Old 03-14-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
but has always been considered a very dangerous no-go zone, maybe even more so than the east side.
No.. Definitely not. I used to buy liquor in East Heights when I was in high school. I've never had crackheads swarm the (parked) car in Beacon Hill and never will. I did in East Heights though.. The east side is a very scary place and although Beacon Hill is a hardly a country club, the two are not on the same level.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
They have their own Beacon Hill middle school
I was actually thinking of Beacon Hill Elementary. My mistake.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:45 PM

151 posts, read 414,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I've never lived in Beacon Hill so I suppose I'm an outsider. Although I've spent a lot of time there so I suppose one could say I've heard a fair amount of "insider" information.

It's a poor and overwhelmingly black neighborhood. Simply put, that's A LOT of "the deal". They have their own Beacon Hill middle school and it used to be that the high school age kids attended Rich East in Park Forest. Recently, many parents just weren't down with sending their kids to school with those nasty Beacon Hill kids so now they attend Bloom instead.

I don't know about "detached family homes" but there are a number of single mothers living there. There's racially mixed households (ie: there are a few white people who live there). There are a number of different related households living in that same neighborhood. Kinda weird, but yeah. I once said that if Beacon Hill was white, people would be making cracks about inbreeding. The response was "no one really dates other people from Beacon hill though".

If you are white and roll through there at night, it is likely you will be flagged by some guy who wants to sell you a small sack of bad weed. If you are white and there regularly (like me), expect to be pulled over and car searched by the Park Forest police on Western Avenue who assume that's the only business you would have being there. Don't go to Beacon Hill to buy weed. And if you're ever headed out that way, make sure you have nothing illegal in the car. Follow these simple two rules and you'll be okay.

There's crime there but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. For the most part, it's pretty quiet. You will see a few run down and/or abandoned houses. There are small-time drug dealers. No hookers or any nonsense like that. You'll see folks watering their lawn, children playing outside and teenagers on the basketball court. Lots of potholes that the city couldn't care less about and it's illegal for citizens to fix a pothole themselves. During the winter, the snow isn't always plowed like it is elsewhere. There's a stray dog who wanders around the neighborhood. A homeless guy hangs out by Beacon Hill groceries..

Does this answer you question? Hopefully it did.
It does, thanks. I was just wondering if it had ever been officially segregated or anything like that.

I didn't know kids from there were going to Bloom again. Back in the mid 90's they started sending them to Rich East and that led to a lot of anger and fear in Park Forest because the school changed to majority black, although it already had a pretty sizeable black student body. I went to East during this era (class of '98), I'm as white as they come and I never really had any problems, FWIW.

As far as it being as dangerous as the east side, I guess that was just perceived because I lived in north Park Forest and Beacon Hill was lot closer.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:43 PM

15 posts, read 24,037 times
Never lived in the heights but nearby....as i have said before compared to Chicago its HEAVEN...nothing is as bad as the CHI. You just need to watch your back and know your way around, there are shootings our there and drug activities but now adays thats every where unless you got the big dollas to say in the BIG DOLLAR neighborhoods (i.e Tinley park, frankfort, Flossmoor,ect) I wouldnt live out there if i could avoid it but as far as travel out there is no prob, the movies and shopping are safe...I go all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs