Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 8,544 times

Advertisements

I currently live in NYC and my husband has two job offers in Illinois - one in Park Ridge and one in Peoria. Our initial reaction was that the Chicago burbs would be better, but I'm not so sure. We lived in a Chicago suburb for 5 years and liked it, and have only visited peoria briefly.

Anyone out there that can give me a fair assessment of Peoria?

We have two kids, ages 9 and 7. I am concerned about the "affluenza" that I think is prevalent in many of the Chicago burbs. The housing cost is also much higher in Chicago, however given what the city has to offer it may be worth it. Also,coming from NYC anything will seem like a bargain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 08:47 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Its really up to your personal preferances. Chicago offers more, albeit at a higher price, but Peoria is pretty decent in its own right, offering less, but a quieter lifestyle. There are plenty of Chicago burbs that are very quiet as well. Of those Id recommend Winfield, Wayne, Wasco, Elburn, etc, something long the far western edges.

Peoria's COL is alot cheaper as well, that might be a big deciding factor in your decision. Downtown is pretty decent, the riverfront is nice and they also have some nice festivals too. Skyline Drive (I think thats its name) along the river is just beautiful, especially in fall. Youre also not too terribly far from Garden of the Gods State Park in downstate IL, which I also recommend (as well as Starved Rock SP and Matthiesson SP).

Old 01-22-2007, 11:38 AM

23 posts, read 179,330 times
My vote would be Peoria. I am originally from there but currently live in Chicago. The job opportunties are less in Peoria than Chicago, due to the large size differential, but Peoria is a very liveable city with many nice areas and scenic beauty. Peoria, being the secong largest metro area in Illinois, offers alot of big city convenience with less of the large urban problems. Housing is beautiful and you have alot of choices. PArk Ridge is nice but very expensive and does not look it. You dollars will go much further in Peoria - which Fortune ranked as the #1 Most Affordable City within the 150 largest US metro areas. If you like large urban areas, then Park Ridge. If you like urban opporunities with suburban living - Peoria. Peoria also has several urban living options as well. Both are fine. fine dining is doing well in peoria, and shopping is coming along. Many wonderful upscale shops for women, however for mens wear it needs to be better, but really not much different than Chicago suburbs. For best shopping - only downtown Chicago is your choice. Even the suburbs are less. Both are fine choices. Check them out yourself, but if PArk Ridge you may want to look at other suburbs - but again prices will be very high.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 8,544 times
Thank you both for your input. It will be tough decision. I think both areas have pros and cons. Although, my husband and I are leaning towards Peoria at the moment. Less traffic and a lower cost of living sound pretty good right now and Chicago is not that far away if we need to get into a larger city.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:30 PM

105 posts, read 157,602 times
Well you actually will get alot more different big city by living in Peoria. Living in Chicago would be fun, but afterall awhile it would get old. Geogrphically Peoria is perfect! Chicago is closer, but St. Louis is just down the road, and Indy isn't to far either. More variety, making for endless amounts of weekend trips.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:34 PM

220 posts, read 675,340 times
And Park Ridge is closer to Milwaukee and also a short drive to Indy...

Old 01-22-2007, 06:59 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,527 times
Why don't you have a first-hand look at both places? That should make your mind up.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:25 PM

105 posts, read 157,602 times
To bad you couldn't visit this Tuesday. President Bush is coming to give a speach about the economic presence in Peoria. I'm sure this would be a good gauge for you.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:25 AM

19 posts, read 88,671 times
Default Go to Peoria

Peoria has its rough sides of town, but if you have any money at all, you will love living in the Peoria metro area and live very well. Park Ridge is an aging inner-ring suburb that cannot compare to the standard of living you would enjoy in Peoria. Nobody moves to Park Ridge, unless you move into Grandma's house for free. Sky high housing prices in a cramped up inner-ring suburb make for an easy decision. Move to Peoria and take weekend trips to Chicago. You'll be glad you did.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:14 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
Why are there so many threads comparing Chicago suburbs to downstate cities? This makes no sense! You don't see people comparing Sterling Heights, Michigan with Grand Rapids!

... go to Peoria. You can always go up to Chicago for a visit ... on the weekends, when traffic isn't killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs