Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 04:25 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,082,792 times

Advertisements

Here is a great report on the debt that IL. has and can expect. It's long but worth the read.

Trouble is, is that Porky isn't going to try. I know what he'd like to tax but I don't know where he plans on cutting spending. Maybe we'll have to "pass his budget to read it" !

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/repor...and-cut-taxes/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 04:38 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,478,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlets82 View Post
I must embarrassingly admit that I haven't voted in this state for awhile, I voted for Pres Trump although I knew it wouldn't make a difference here and haven't really bothered to vote in any other election. Illinois is hopelessly blue and will never flip red, I don't bother to vote in this hopeless state anymore just looking forward to getting a job transfer so I can escape this mess of a state
I honestly don't think my vote will change anything either but I do it anyways because it is the right thing to do and in fact the only thing I can do. Also it feels cathartic, like giving a big middle finger to the Democratic Party letting them know how I feel about them.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:00 AM

22,044 posts, read 9,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Here is a great report on the debt that IL. has and can expect. It's long but worth the read.

Trouble is, is that Porky isn't going to try. I know what he'd like to tax but I don't know where he plans on cutting spending. Maybe we'll have to "pass his budget to read it" !

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/repor...and-cut-taxes/
Not only is he NOT cutting spending, he is disappointed that he can't RAISE it more. That's what he said.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:55 AM

376 posts, read 491,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I honestly can't think of any reason to vote for Democrats other than you're poor and they give you stuff, you have a personal stake ie government employee, or you are just surrounded by people on campus, in school, in life that tell you Republicans are the party of rich people and want to take away your right to abortion, and get rid of gay marriage are various 'ists and 'phobes etc.

I believe it is ultimately that people are seeing the above stuff as moral imperatives, with practical concerns of little consideration. They will vote for that is 'right' and hope for the best, rationalizing it however they might. Essentially magical thinking. As one other poster noted, people don't tend to be sophisticated, and that unfortunately includes people of all different education and wealth levels. It can be an eye opener to have a serious conversation with one of the truly wealthy and see just how banal their worldview is.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:59 PM

6 posts, read 17,065 times
In 1996, a study by the University of Illinois' Institute of Government and Public Affairs found that state policies and programs in place at the time were on pace to increase long-term expenditures at twice the rate of revenue growth (creating long-term budget problems). At that time Republicans controlled the Governor's mansion (which they held from 1977-2003) and both chambers of the legislature.

In 1989 Republican Gov Jim Thompson agreed to give pensioners an annual cost of living increase of 3%, a decision that greatly added to the cost of pensions and can't be reversed. Republican Gov George Ryan made things worse by starting an early retirement program for state workers that was so generous thousands of workers left the state payroll, stopped paying pension premiums and started drawing benefits.

No one tried to fix the problem until Dem Gov Pat Quinn started reducing retirement benefits for state workers hired after 2010. He also signed legislation to cut existing benefits for pensioners but was overruled by the state supreme court.

When Rauner came into office he ushered in a 2 year budget stalemate that just grew the pile of unpaid bills and sunk us even deeper into debt.

Democrats aren't blameless but this mess was a true bipartisan effort and goes back a long way including when Republicans ran the state. Guess what? When you have a lot of debt you have to raise revenue somehow, ie raise taxes. The other alternative is to bury your head in the sand and hope the problem goes away. Or blame Democrats I guess according to this thread.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:08 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,937,575 times
you obviously haven't lived in Illinois very long, or just oblivious to the facts.

Democrats have run this state, PERIOD for 20-30 years or more, and, regardless of what "puppet" republican governor was put in office..nothing more than a figurehead, considering the Illinois house and Senate has been run by Democrats for what seems like forever, so anything any Republican wanted to try had to pass the Democratic smell test...

Until Spending comes to a complete halt, and, taxes/pork projects/services/free crap/pension increases get rolled back somehow, and all the crap that the Democrats continue to just vote in, year after year, there is no hope of EVER getting this nightmare on the road to some sort of turn around...

Old 03-08-2019, 03:03 PM

22,044 posts, read 9,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
you obviously haven't lived in Illinois very long, or just oblivious to the facts.

Democrats have run this state, PERIOD for 20-30 years or more, and, regardless of what "puppet" republican governor was put in office..nothing more than a figurehead, considering the Illinois house and Senate has been run by Democrats for what seems like forever, so anything any Republican wanted to try had to pass the Democratic smell test...

Until Spending comes to a complete halt, and, taxes/pork projects/services/free crap/pension increases get rolled back somehow, and all the crap that the Democrats continue to just vote in, year after year, there is no hope of EVER getting this nightmare on the road to some sort of turn around...
I have only lived here since 1999 so I am not familiar with the machinations that happened before I arrived other than that Mike Madigan has been around for like 30 + years?

Old 03-08-2019, 03:54 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,937,575 times
yep, and the dems have ruled Illinois for at least that long, if not longer..
so sad to see how a great state like Illinois has descended into the depths of financial and political despair..

Old 03-09-2019, 06:03 AM

198 posts, read 238,532 times
Many Illinois "republicans" would be considered democrats in normal rational states like Indiana or Ohio.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:41 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,280,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caglee View Post
Many Illinois "republicans" would be considered democrats in normal rational states like Indiana or Ohio.
LOL

Yes, because most of them aren’t hell bent on the whims of the religious right and have no desire to make reproductive choices for someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs