Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 745 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

My wife and I are moving to Il from GA because I got accepted to dental school in Downers Grove. We are looking at surrounding suburbs to live and are leaning towards Lisle. We are looking to rent an apartment for around $1,400/month. Is Lisle our best option or are there others we should look more into??

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 07:38 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,903,169 times
Lisle is perfectly fine. Naperville is better. The downtown there is incredible. Hip places to eat and drink, shopping, a riverwalk, etc. Much more there to offer than in either DG or Lisle. But it's a huge suburb, and if you can afford it, I'd aim for the northern 1/3 of it, even northeast, for an easy commute to Downers.

Wheaton is another community to consider. Also very nice. If you go east of Downers, things start getting more expensive. South of Downers isn't as nice.

In your shoes, I'd go Naperville, Wheaton or Lisle, probably in that order. But you can't really go wrong with any of those.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:30 PM

2,564 posts, read 2,213,412 times
I'd also rank the southern part of Lombard around Yorktown Mall above Lisle, and it'll be closer to your school.

Kmanshouse is correct about the nicer downtowns in Naperville and Wheaton. If you prefer that setting, I'd go that route.

The Lombard suggestion is very suburban around lots of retail and restaurants, not as walkable, but closer to your school.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:25 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,992,524 times
I'm not sure why you would not look in Downers Grove first. Its a lovely suburb. Lisle is fine too, if you've found the right apartment there. Naperville, Glen Ellyn and Wheaton are also options as is Lombard. The closer you live to things the better your commute will be.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:55 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,728,818 times
There are a few apartment complexes that seem to attract a fair number of students attending Midwestern U.

One of the older ones is in Westmont off of Cass Ave near 35th St, mostly quiet area, sort of walkable to a few grocery stores and OK access to nice outdoor park and Westmont Park District fitness center. Years ago this complex had a bad reputation but better management practices really seem to have paid off - https://www.brookhillapts.com/

There is also a large apartment complex in Lombard off of Highland Ave north of Butterfield Rd. Lots of nearby quick service restaurants, enclosed Yorktown shopping mall, not many great options for groceries within walking distance. Depending on pricing it is worth looking at -- https://www.cityviewhighlands.com/#Home

Another set of apartment that attract Midwestern U students is in Lisle off of Warrenville Rd, arguably the worst choice as there are really no restaurants, shops, or recreational areas near by...

Depending on what your overall goals are as far as excess to commuter rail for potential spouse work in Chicago's Loop or other factors it may make sense to also look at apartments in the heart of Downers Grove, Lombard, or other towns with Metra access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs