Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,174 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my family is considering a relocation from Nee Jersey and I need some advice. I have been in New Jersey for 1.5 years and really like it here. However, my company was acquired and is moving to Chicago. Growing up I lived in the NAPERVILLE area for several years, so it is familiar, but it has been a while since I have lived in that area of the country as I have been on the East Coast for 13 years or so now. I am 35, married with three kids, ages 3, 5 and 8. So schools are super important. I also would be commuting downtown Chicago via train everyday for work. I like a neighbood feel but don’t love when houses are on top of one another. Our budget would be up to $650k-ish for a house. I’m not super handy, so looking for something with decent updates completed in the major areas such as kitchen so I don’t have to worry about it for a few years. We also have an au pair that lives with us, so need at least 4 bedrooms if not 5. A community with a pool would be fantastic for the kiddos.

Any suggestions on areas I should look with good schools, accessibility with trains, getting the house I want for the budget I have? Any specific neighborhoods?

I guess the good news (bad news?) is I am used to high property taxes with New Jersey so no shock value there. 😂

Alternatively, I also have a potential offer in Louisville, KY. Very different I know! And an offer to stay where I could remain in NJ, but that offer is not as lucrative.

I’m headed to Chicago area for a site visit end of January so thoughts would definitely be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 07:40 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lMR345 View Post
Hi all, my family is considering a relocation from Nee Jersey and I need some advice. I have been in New Jersey for 1.5 years and really like it here. However, my company was acquired and is moving to Chicago. Growing up I lived in the NAPERVILLE area for several years, so it is familiar, but it has been a while since I have lived in that area of the country as I have been on the East Coast for 13 years or so now. I am 35, married with three kids, ages 3, 5 and 8. So schools are super important. I also would be commuting downtown Chicago via train everyday for work. I like a neighbood feel but don’t love when houses are on top of one another. Our budget would be up to $650k-ish for a house. I’m not super handy, so looking for something with decent updates completed in the major areas such as kitchen so I don’t have to worry about it for a few years. We also have an au pair that lives with us, so need at least 4 bedrooms if not 5. A community with a pool would be fantastic for the kiddos.

Any suggestions on areas I should look with good schools, accessibility with trains, getting the house I want for the budget I have? Any specific neighborhoods?

I guess the good news (bad news?) is I am used to high property taxes with New Jersey so no shock value there. 😂

Alternatively, I also have a potential offer in Louisville, KY. Very different I know! And an offer to stay where I could remain in NJ, but that offer is not as lucrative.

I’m headed to Chicago area for a site visit end of January so thoughts would definitely be appreciated!
How long of a door to door commute can you tolerate? Do you still have friends or family in the area that you'd like to live near?

Just based on your needs of not being on top of your neighbors and some space with the au pair, I'd start with Naperville and Wheaton because you'll get good schools and a lot of house for your money compared to any closer in burbs.

You might be able to find some neighborhoods in towns like Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Arlington Heights, or Downers Grove that have a little space between neighbors. In a town like Elmhurst though, you'd probably want to avoid neighborhoods with lots of tear downs. Many of those look too big for their lot and are kind of on top of their neighbors.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:11 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
However as you are probably painfully aware coming from NJ, more money on a house mean more property taxes. a $650k house can easily have a $20k per year tax bill.

Also, the further out you go the longer the commute will be on the metra not to mention time spent getting to and from the metra stations to home and work. Houses very close to a metra station will command a price premium.

If it were me I'd seriously consider Louisville but if you like NJ you would probably like Chicago more than Louisville even knowing the issues with taxes, commute, and overall COL.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:09 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
Naperville, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn would be good choices.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:44 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lMR345 View Post

With that budget and and already being accustomed to massive property taxes, you have a lot of great choices.

I would also look at north shore suburban options. Deerfield/Highland Park/Northbrook/Glenview are worth exploring. Top rated schools and plenty of nearby amenities/access to Metra.

This home for sale not far from mine is walking distance to Metra/parks/schools/shopping/restaurants/public pools (Df has two).

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1.../4910766_zpid/

Old 01-09-2019, 11:32 AM

768 posts, read 1,104,658 times
Here are few faves to add to your list to checkout while visiting:

La Grange, Western Springs, Elmhurst, Park Ridge...

Old 01-09-2019, 11:53 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
Here are few faves to add to your list to checkout while visiting:

La Grange, Western Springs, Elmhurst, Park Ridge...
I'd caution with these 4 that in many instances the OP might find the neighbors are too close given their stated concern, although there's definitely some blocks in LaGrange in which the lots are a bit more spread out.

There's also bit less physical house for the money in many instances.

It's worth taking a thorough drive through these towns or checking out Google street view and looking at some listings, though. All very nice towns and a bit closer to the city than some other suburbs suggested.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:03 PM

768 posts, read 1,104,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
I'd caution with these 4 that in many instances the OP might find the neighbors are too close given their stated concern, although there's definitely some blocks in LaGrange in which the lots are a bit more spread out.

There's also bit less physical house for the money in many instances.

It's worth taking a thorough drive through these towns or checking out Google street view and looking at some listings, though. All very nice towns and a bit closer to the city than some other suburbs suggested.
yes agreed - with close proximity city comes a little space cost... I did not mention Oak Park for that reason feeling that's too city for them...

Old 01-15-2019, 02:30 PM

84 posts, read 98,624 times
I would strongly suggest Naperville. Top notch schools and express Metra trains from Naperville to Chicago Union Station in about 30-35 minutes.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:23 AM

1,067 posts, read 917,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodesi View Post
I would strongly suggest Naperville. Top notch schools and express Metra trains from Naperville to Chicago Union Station in about 30-35 minutes.
Yeah this. Naperville is constantly ranked as one of the top suburbs in the country for these reasons. Just buy here given your familiarity and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs