Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:14 AM

3 posts, read 18,358 times

Advertisements

Hello. My name is Justin and I'm a 24 year old male. I am potentially moving into a place in Westport, Baltimore with my best friend, a 22 year old female, and another friend, a 27 year old male.

I work at home doing graphic design work. The other two have day jobs. I have one cat who stays in doors.

The place we are moving into has barred windows and a barred door. It's for a great price and matches our budget because we are both not paid nearly enough

I've been to the neighborhood several times and I am aware that it is not the safest place in town. I have heard mixed pieces of advice. Some say not to even think about living there, and others say I am fine as long as I am not walking around at night, alone especially. They say to make friends with the neighborhood, keep valuables out of my car and I will be fine. They also say to get some alarm system stickers for the windows and the cars.

I have checked the crime rate and it isn't great, but I have had friends live in other areas of Baltimore in which the crime rates have looked twice or three times as bad and they've never had any issues because they don't involve themselves in drug deals, domestic disputes, etc. I've heard that most crime (besides larceny of course) have a lot to do with who you are and what you involve yourself in, and that if your vehicle appears to be empty and/or secured, your vehicle isn't a target.

I have been trying to move out for a year now and just can't afford much. This seems to be my opportunity and I think that I will conduct myself safely. How does everyone else feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 12:24 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Default Its all about you

Its all about how YOU feel. You can live in the worst neighborhood and have nothing happen to you or live in the best neighborhood and get the sh*t beat out of you. Its all about how you carry yourself, when you carry yourself, and taking reasonable precautions. You have outlined the issues in your post clearly.. now its about how you handle the situation. If you are afraid of getting your door kicked in.. you may want to lose the cat and get a larger dog or atleast one that will not eat the cat.

I dont think the alarm stickers on the car are much of a deterent since it only takes 10 second for someone to smash the car window snatch something and then set sail off into the middle branch. This could happen even before you can open the curtain and say "I know someone just didnt......damn, my car" As you said keep everything hidden, a club on the wheel wouldn't hurt either. Have you tried looking near some of the local colleges??JHU in Charles Village? They may have reasonable rents also (though it may be too late now) if you move in during the summer.. there would be more vacancies. Since you are in your low 20s you may or may not have personal opposition to living near a college campus.

Final piece of advice.....Get to know some of the neighbors.. again use your judgement.. so u can ID the ones you can rely on and the ones who may be suspects. I do think things are looking up for Westport.. but thats the subject of another thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the response. I do realize it's about how I feel, but how I feel doesn't change the reputation of a neighborhood. I haven't lived there or lived near there before so I was hoping for some insight from some people that know more about the area. But your post was helpful. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2009, 12:57 PM

167 posts, read 426,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelhair0 View Post
Thanks for the response. I do realize it's about how I feel, but how I feel doesn't change the reputation of a neighborhood. I haven't lived there or lived near there before so I was hoping for some insight from some people that know more about the area. But your post was helpful. Thanks!
You've already commented about the lay of the neighborhood, so I'll bring up my only quibble I have with the area: access to services (or lack therof). I'm assuming that you're considering the area bounded by Hammonds Ferry Road (roughly) on the west, Monroe St./I-95. on the north, the northwest branch of the Patapsco River on the east, and Waterview Road on the south. If you have to take your car in for service, getting affordable food, durable goods, services, etc. isn't within convenient walking distance of the neighborhood there. Two public bus lines and the light rail run through the area, but can be inconvenient if you have to bring a lot of stuff home on a crowded vehicle. More information about the public transit routes can be obtained from Maryland Transit Administration Home Page.

Did you look further south on Patapsco Avenue near Annapolis Road? There are a number of rental units there that are much younger (early '60s) than the housing stock in the part of Westport (early 20th century) I mentioned, and access to everything (supermarkets, American or international; fast food, banks, clothing stores, car services, pharmacies, weekly massive flea market/small live entertainment arena, etc.) is easier. The neighborhoods near the intersection are called Lakeland, Lansdowne and Baltimore Highlands. Lansdowne and the 'Highlands are just over the city's border in the county.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:41 PM

167 posts, read 426,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carthell View Post
I'm assuming that you're considering the area bounded by Hammonds Ferry Road (roughly) on the west...
I'm sorry, I meant Hollins Ferry Road.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:51 PM

38 posts, read 208,570 times
Westport is awful. Move on.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:08 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slug1 View Post
Westport is awful. Move on.

Another marvelous opinion from "slug".

Old 09-06-2009, 08:54 AM

Thanks everyone, even Slug.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:00 PM

9 posts, read 28,075 times
Seriously - Westport is terrible. Don't move there.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 5,957 times
I own a property in Westport. There are many people who have lived in the neighborhood for years and don't mind it. The neighborhood is not the best but as long as you say hi to everyone and mind your own business they will leave you alone. I have never had my car broken into. But i do think that getting club is a great idea. There are some cute properties and many investors are buying and fixing up the homes in the area and renting them to good people. So the neighborhood is "up and coming". With the development on the waterfront the area is just going to continue to get better over the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore