Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 8,781 times

Advertisements

I have always had fun when I've come to Baltimore.

I live outside of DC now, and I just don't like it here. Nothing excites me outside of my family and all the *great* cultural events there are to do here. Although, I really like the feeling of Black prosperity I get here, which I haven't really found anywhere else in the country.

So, like I said, every time I've been to Bmore, I've had a good time. I think the people maybe feel more free, less pretentious to me?

Maybe.

So now, I am in need of a new change. And I have a 1 year old son now. Since I dont want to move too far away from my family, I think Bmore is a good choice.

The only other place in the country I could say that I truly LOVED was San Francisco-Oakland. The parks, the freedom loving people, the specialness....great music, great food. people that are 'different' (i am not feeling the conservatism of DC anymore...I want to find this in my new neighborhood.

I want to move to a good neighborhood in Baltimore that is good for me (nice places in walking distance, safe area for walking - I LOVE to take walks, lots of single people around - i'm single and looking, a good feeling in the neighborhood), and my son (good school even if i have to pay for private school, library in walking distance, and parks, maybe even kid friendly stuff not TOO far away). I like a mix of culture i.e. not too white. not exclusively black either.

Is there a neighborhood like this that is 'funky' lol for lack of a better word. SAFE. stores/grocery in walking distance. good people. CLEAN.

Where should I live? I need a 3 bedroom apartment. not house. i prefer an apt.

It may sound like a tall order for a new 'hood, but we live under infinite possibilities so...

Can somebody help me? I am moving this Spring.

tks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 01:04 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,347,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mztransformation View Post
I have always had fun when I've come to Baltimore.

I live outside of DC now, and I just don't like it here. Nothing excites me outside of my family and all the *great* cultural events there are to do here. Although, I really like the feeling of Black prosperity I get here, which I haven't really found anywhere else in the country.

So, like I said, every time I've been to Bmore, I've had a good time. I think the people maybe feel more free, less pretentious to me?

Maybe.

So now, I am in need of a new change. And I have a 1 year old son now. Since I dont want to move too far away from my family, I think Bmore is a good choice.

The only other place in the country I could say that I truly LOVED was San Francisco-Oakland. The parks, the freedom loving people, the specialness....great music, great food. people that are 'different' (i am not feeling the conservatism of DC anymore...I want to find this in my new neighborhood.

I want to move to a good neighborhood in Baltimore that is good for me (nice places in walking distance, safe area for walking - I LOVE to take walks, lots of single people around - i'm single and looking, a good feeling in the neighborhood), and my son (good school even if i have to pay for private school, library in walking distance, and parks, maybe even kid friendly stuff not TOO far away). I like a mix of culture i.e. not too white. not exclusively black either.

Is there a neighborhood like this that is 'funky' lol for lack of a better word. SAFE. stores/grocery in walking distance. good people. CLEAN.

Where should I live? I need a 3 bedroom apartment. not house. i prefer an apt.

It may sound like a tall order for a new 'hood, but we live under infinite possibilities so...

Can somebody help me? I am moving this Spring.

tks.
Sounds like Canton.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:12 PM

5 posts, read 8,781 times
Default tell me more about Canton

plz.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:28 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,608,421 times
Forget Canton. If you want a truely diverse neighborhood: Mt. Vernon, Patterson Park, Charles Village. There are others. Refer to the "sticky" at the beginning of the Bmore threads for starting ideas.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:48 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,347,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Forget Canton. If you want a truely diverse neighborhood: Mt. Vernon, Patterson Park, Charles Village. There are others. Refer to the "sticky" at the beginning of the Bmore threads for starting ideas.
With a one-year old? Maybe Patterson Park, but I wouldn't think Mt. Vernon or Charles Village. Hm.

I suggested Canton (not Canton Square particularly) because of the singles aspect, and also because it sounds like he really wants a walking neighborhood (which Canton obviously is).

Well, obviously walking each of these neighborhoods at various times of day would make sense.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:43 PM

79 posts, read 228,809 times
Welcome to Baltimore. You don't mention how much you can budget for rent.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:48 AM

775 posts, read 1,786,872 times
You posted SAFE and CLEAN in capital letters. I can't think of anywhere, honestly, in Baltimore that would meet your requirements. Others will say they never see trash and crime happens everywhere. Do your self a huge favor. Don't believe me or the pollyannas. Visit the suggested neighborhoods and see for yourself.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:10 AM

805 posts, read 2,117,810 times
Hampden is funky and is a really neat area.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:48 AM

239 posts, read 760,543 times
Canton is not clean. It's as safe as you can get in Baltimore City (which isn't all that safe), but under no circumstances should be mistaken for clean.

There's litter everywhere. It's pretty gross.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:30 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,576,686 times
There's no place in Baltimore that really SAFE and CLEAN in capital letters except maybe Roland Park which isn't particularly diverse or walkable. Its really more suburbs than city, although techinically in the city limits so you still get the joys of high taxes and crappy public schools.

Canton, Locust Point, Federal Hill, Mt Vernon, Hampden all meet part of your criteria but none of them are even close to meeting them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: