Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 07:12 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,457,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Berwyn was targeting illegal conversions, but it's absurd to think it has anything to do with discrimination. It has to do with the danger of 6 families living in the basement of a single family home, having all those cars parked on the street, all those kids going to school on one property tax bill. They're not going after anyone except people breaking the law and creating a danger and nuiscance for their neighbors. If those people are mostly Hispanic, it is what it is. Nobody is being targeted.
Good points. And to add to this, anyone who says that a municipality which is citing individuals who are breaking the law in this way is "prejudiced against Hispanics" really needs to take a long, hard look at his or her own biases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 11,854 times
Default ummm

These three fit your criteria the most:
- Wheeling
- Rolling Meadows
- Prospect Heights

Further north are
- Mundelein
- Woodstock
- Round Lake. Perhaps it's getting too far but you can still get a big new home for less than what you said you're ready to spend.[/quote]

wheeling is the only one that is not ghetto, the rest are in various degrees of decline,ESPECIALLY mundelein

Old 09-20-2008, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 14,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma019 View Post
We are considering a move to the Chicago area and are looking for a middle class suburb near a Metra route that is known to be accommodating to Hispanic families. We are are a professional couple and are not necessarily looking for an area that is predominantly Hispanic, but one that is quiet and safe with good schools yet has a significant or growing Hispanic professional presence where our children will not feel completely disconnected from their heritage. Our price range would be $375,000 or (preferably) lower for a three or four bedroom house. Advice on areas to avoid would also be welcome!
Avoid Palatine altogether as it is a suburb which has a warm-cold and an up and down issue of annoyances as well as Schaumburg. There are nationality mixtures the further out you go into Barrington. Barrington has a very nice leveled mixture. We are friendly and there is zero tolerance to any prejudice. Everyone is welcomed as long as they keep the warmth and the connection of basic kindness toward everyone. The other two suburbs that I have mentioned have strange behavioral problems and are somewhat disconnected and disrespectable with neighbors and privacy. Also, look for statistical findings in any suburban area by re-entering to the beginning of this website where you may research your desired area and scroll down to the percentages of race and mixture and that may make your search a bit easier.

TabbyAngel179

Old 09-20-2008, 06:13 PM

95 posts, read 325,307 times
If the school data meets your criteria, go with Berwyn. It is truly a unique suburb, that feels like an extension of the City, older homes, bustling streets. The City is very close with great access. The rest mentioned above, although nice, are very suburbia. Just depends on what you want--but you will love all of Chicagoland. It is a great area--with lots of choices.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:39 PM

5 posts, read 14,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabithaAngel179 View Post
Avoid Palatine altogether as it is a suburb which has a warm-cold and an up and down issue of annoyances as well as Schaumburg. There are nationality mixtures the further out you go into Barrington. Barrington has a very nice leveled mixture. We are friendly and there is zero tolerance to any prejudice. Everyone is welcomed as long as they keep the warmth and the connection of basic kindness toward everyone. The other two suburbs that I have mentioned have strange behavioral problems and are somewhat disconnected and disrespectable with neighbors and privacy. Also, look for statistical findings in any suburban area by re-entering to the beginning of this website where you may research your desired area and scroll down to the percentages of race and mixture and that may make your search a bit easier.

TabbyAngel179
Also try Oak Brook, Aurora, Bolingbrook, Des Plaines or Mount Prospect or Morton Grove areas for a greater Hispanic connection. Be sure to do your statistical research and contact the Township/Village Hall locations of these individual suburbs to obtain a better view of what your desired location has in store for you.

We are not Hispanic, but we are familiar with these areas inclusive of a more Hispanic Presence; but it is also wise to include mixtures in your search so that while you are keeping your Hispanic Heritage strong you will also stay in touch with others outside your nationality because the United States is FILLED with so many other nationalties and to cocoon your self away from a good variable may head off communication relations and respect to other minorities who are just as valuable and worthwhile as your own.

We understand your needs, however, I use to think as you as well and this is not a cure-all and not always the best if your family begins to disconnect from other worthwhile and beautiful nationalities. Your children will have to deal with this issue better sooner than later once they are off to college and into the reality of getting along with others as it is easy to develop a prejudiced outlook against others if there is an uneven balance.

Look for character, kindness, and a strong respect for the differences in others as well as respecting your own Heritage. Value the heritage of others in a healthy and meaningful way because a neighborhood overpopulated with your heritage only may invite issues not yet fully understood may only bring strife in misunderstanding others and stereotyping good people or cancelling them out because they are different than your children.

All one race neighborhoods are not always the answer toward maintaining your heritage, you also want for your children to develop respect for others and to get along with others throughout their entire lives. You are free to do as you please and so is every one else, but why not pass along wisdom that I have learned and perhaps life may become worthwhile for the future of everyone. We have to get along on this planet because it is the only one we've got. Heritage IS important, simply be aware of how far it may go. Monitor racial disrespect around your home because your children are going to come into the most interracial world than we have ever known and it is here to stay forever.

Heritage IS golden and important; allow it to be shared amomgst others because your culture is a very beautiful one just as ALL the others. My sister's in laws as well as mine are Hispanic, yet their children live and thrive in a beautiful community while at the same time respecting and building a strong Hispanic family Heritage and it is a very awesome gathering. It truly is. This is why I know what I am saying.

Just be mindful for your family's sake. The United States has way too many different types of people that your children WILL come in contact with and if they are not ready to respect the differences in others, it may become an uphill battle to climb for all. Keep an open mind and you will find what your instincts will say to your heart.

Also, in all one race areas is the tendency to dissect and pick apart each other in areas of economic stability, jealousies, more prejudice, unhealthy competitiveness in wearing the right clothes, targeting your children for their independent uniquenesses, and there will become economic prejudices. religious prejudices in the way that you may practice your faith, prejudices in intelligence and all sorts of greater problems than you may never have considered.

Yes, you may disagree, but I do know this through experience and observance. For examples, there are forms of nationalism in Latin communities as well (for example one of the very same race may feel superior to another within the same race yet different nationality types.

Another problem is that for instance a person who is Chinese versus another from Korea however they are same Nationality however ; one may believe that they are the superior sort than the other which occurs in ALL races within the Caucasian race and within the African-Americans (we are all Americans period) and that is why I suggest to be aware of what neighborhood you select because it may not be what it is cracked up to be. This is inherent in ALL races and nationalties. These are only wise suggestions not anything more for they are important for your entire family.

That's all. Be well and I hope that the RIGHT decision shall follow what is right rather than what is status-Quo.

Goodnight
From TabbyAngel179

Old 09-20-2008, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 8,697 times
Hanover Park is a great place, I live there and have had nothing but positive experiences. If you check in the south part of Hanover Park near Bartlett the homes are mostly 3 bedrooms, big yards and close to many shops, schools and other rec facilities. You can easily get a home for under 350K good luck!

Old 09-20-2008, 09:34 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,145 times
Quote:
We are considering a move to the Chicago area and are looking for a middle class suburb near a Metra route that is known to be accommodating to Hispanic families. We are are a professional couple and are not necessarily looking for an area that is predominantly Hispanic, but one that is quiet and safe with good schools yet has a significant or growing Hispanic professional presence where our children will not feel completely disconnected from their heritage. Our price range would be $375,000 or (preferably) lower for a three or four bedroom house. Advice on areas to avoid would also be welcome!
For 375,000 I say move to south Berwyn, grab one of those Chicago style Bungalows and watch your neighborhood gentrify. Another area to consider is Riverside. Average house price is about 450,000 but you can find some steals there once in awhile. Another reason I suggest Riverside is because many (including myself) believe this suburb will be an enclave of Hispanic professionals in the very near future.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:46 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
I'm a gringa who lives in Elgin. I don't have kids so I'm not up on schools. I live in the older part of town which has some really nice houses. You'd be able to get something really nice on the northeast side. Elgin has been spending a lot of money on it's downtown and infrastructure. City government seems to do a good job. There are definitely poor people here, but I appreciate diversity and I feel very safe here. There's a great park along the river, Festival Park which has a fantastic playground as well as a really cool zero-depth fountain/play area. I've taken my 6 y.o. nephew and 4 y.o. niece there a couple of times and they love it. The water shoots up from various jets in the concrete surface, it stops, starts, goes higher and lower. My nephew likes to karate chop the water and my niece runs around and hops over the lower jets, sticks her face in the higher ones. It's great fun. We were just there yesterday. I was so pleased they didn't close it after Labor Day.
But really, if you're moving to Chicago, you need to have a good idea about where you're going to work. The area is just too big to travel far during rush hour. Elgin is on 1 of the train lines to the Loop (downtown Chicago). There is also good access by expressway.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:53 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,827,266 times
Quote:
first off i think you have to be clear to state what kind of hispanic are you, because from my view all hispanics arent the same, just lumped together, okay in some instances things are similar but if someone put you in a neighborhood or place where a nationality you werent looking for and then your upset well not upset but in a situation you were not looking for.

someone from south america may not have the interest of someone from mexico or someone thats american of mexican decent etc

Old 09-22-2008, 07:06 AM

945 posts, read 1,987,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
first off i think you have to be clear to state what kind of hispanic are you, because from my view all hispanics arent the same, just lumped together, okay in some instances things are similar but if someone put you in a neighborhood or place where a nationality you werent looking for and then your upset well not upset but in a situation you were not looking for.

someone from south america may not have the interest of someone from mexico or someone thats american of mexican decent etc

Agreed, what "hispanic decent" are you? And depending on which, as english speaking, educated adults, why are you seeking "hispanic areas" as this will only put the same stigma on your children. I am of "Mexican" heritage, my wife from the US so our children are mexican/american of sorts. You can teach your children of your culture in your own home and don't need to be in a "hispanic area" to do this. We live in Wheaton and as to how many "hispanics" there are? not many, but that's just fine. I have NEVER been treated differently or badly for my heritage and our kids are the most important criteria- good schools and nice community! Give us a little more detail of your intentions because it's very, very hard to find what you are looking for. You want the best of both worlds and it doesn't exist. You either want to live among hispanics of your own kind, or you don't. But know that if the first priority is to live among your own it will come without the rest of what you are looking for- good schools, etc. As much as it pangs me to admit, upper/middle class hispanic areas do not exist in the same place. Your looking for something that doesn't exist. Just a thought from a "fellow hispanic".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs