Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:16 PM

14 posts, read 32,160 times

Advertisements

Hello. I used to live in Oak Park ten years ago, but now live down south. Can anyone suggest nice neighborhoods close to Rosemont? I'd prefer using mass transit, but I'm not opposed to driving if the commute isn't too bad. I'd like to get a nice one or two bedroom for no more than 1400.00 a month and preferably some place that I could walk my dog. Also, a dog day care near by would be great too.

I appreciate any information. I know some of the areas but nothing really in depth. I'm not much of a bar person but I enjoy being able to walk to places to eat or parks.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 10:55 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,103,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hathorlive View Post
Hello. I used to live in Oak Park ten years ago, but now live down south. Can anyone suggest nice neighborhoods close to Rosemont? I'd prefer using mass transit, but I'm not opposed to driving if the commute isn't too bad. I'd like to get a nice one or two bedroom for no more than 1400.00 a month and preferably some place that I could walk my dog. Also, a dog day care near by would be great too.

I appreciate any information. I know some of the areas but nothing really in depth. I'm not much of a bar person but I enjoy being able to walk to places to eat or parks.

Thanks!
Check out the northwest side of Chicago, starting with Jefferson Park. You'll be able to get a nice place for much cheaper than 1400. There is a blue line stop in Rosemont paired with a Pace (bus) transit center, which provide service to all the office parks in Rosemont.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:22 AM

Default newbie

I feel stupid, but where is Jefferson Park? I might need another map of the area. I was hoping to get closer to downtown but a transit link toward both work and downtown is good, too.
Do you have an idea of how long it takes to go from the northwest subs to Rosemont via the blue line?

Thanks for all the information!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:13 AM

Default Oak Park

Additionally, how long would it take to get from Oak Park to Rosemont during rush hour?

It's so hard to try to find a place to live when you are states away from the area.

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I feel stupid, but where is Jefferson Park? I might need another map of the area. I was hoping to get closer to downtown but a transit link toward both work and downtown is good, too.
Do you have an idea of how long it takes to go from the northwest subs to Rosemont via the blue line?

Thanks for all the information!
The blue line only goes to O'hare. Rosemont and Cumberland are the two stops east of O'hare that service the suburbs of Rosemont and Park Ridge.

So if you want to utilize mass transit, you're going to have to focus on city neighborhoods, as suburb to suburb commutes via public transportation aren't easily done. Jefferson Park is a neighborhood on the NW side centered around Lawrence and Milwaukee. Other neighborhoods to look that are closer to downtown would be Irving Park, Logan Square, and Bucktown/Wicker Park.

I'm not sure of the commute time to Rosemont from Oak Park, but I'd guess probably 30-40 minutes during rush hour.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:46 AM

Okay, the mass transit makes sense, since I need to be more linear from point to point. Bucktown and Wicker Park look pretty far (using my handy map of Chicago). Would the transit time along the Blue line take long? I don't know much about Irving Park or Logan Square. I'll research those tonight on the site. I'm basically a small town girl who is trying not to be overwhelmed. I do know the city a bit, which helps. But I'd like an area that is more village-y and walkable. And safe. I really need a safe place that I can walk my dog at night in.

Again, any suggestions are welcome. I'll have a limited time when I go up there to look and I want to target certain areas and look for an apartment. Price is not so much an issue as being dog friendly.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Okay, the mass transit makes sense, since I need to be more linear from point to point. Bucktown and Wicker Park look pretty far (using my handy map of Chicago). Would the transit time along the Blue line take long? I don't know much about Irving Park or Logan Square. I'll research those tonight on the site. I'm basically a small town girl who is trying not to be overwhelmed. I do know the city a bit, which helps. But I'd like an area that is more village-y and walkable. And safe. I really need a safe place that I can walk my dog at night in.

Again, any suggestions are welcome. I'll have a limited time when I go up there to look and I want to target certain areas and look for an apartment. Price is not so much an issue as being dog friendly.
It's about a 30 minute commute from the Damen stop in Wicker Park to Rosemont, which will go down another 5 minutes this year as the remaining slow zones on the blue line are removed. Search the Chicago city forums for those neighborhoods to understand a bit more.

I'd also search around Lincoln Square, North Center, and Roscoe Village. These neighborhoods will add to your commute, as you'll need to take a CTA bus to a blue line station. But they are vibrant, safe neighborhoods (all extremely dog friendly) without the chaos of a Wicker Park (due to its nightlife destinations).

Old 03-24-2008, 04:51 PM

71 posts, read 269,307 times
Rosemont to Oak Park isn't too far by car. It takes me about 30 minutes and I live in Northeast Oak Park. I think it would take forever via the Blue Line. You might be able to commute via Pace.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:26 PM

Default Thanks again!

I'll check out these areas and see what I can find. I'm not sure that I want a "hot or hip" area. I'm more of a sedate and quiet person. Do they have any suburbs for workoholics who just want to rest?

Thanks so much for the advice!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:43 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
It will take you an hour at the least from Roscoe Village,Lake View,North Center to Rosemont by public transit and even more by car during rush hour. I would stick with Jefferson Park,Norwood Park, Edison Park... Niles and Park Ridge (burbs) might be good for you but they are not very walkable in most parts for shopping...

If you choose living farther in the city the northern portion of the Lincoln Square community would be your best bet, but you would have to drive to work. Public transit would take far too long probably for your tastes.

Irving Park is an excellent middle ground choice.

Stay away from Wicker Park ,Bucktown,Logan Square...too far and not very quiet in most places.

Every area has pros and cons. Not one is perfect for most people. It all depends on what are your main needs. The other needs can be solved by a long walk or a short car ride or a train/bus ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs