Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:42 PM

52 posts, read 74,915 times

Advertisements

We(me, my husband and a toddler) recently moved to Chicago and we live in the city of Chicago (LakeView area), work at downtown (15 mins by bus from union station).
We are planning to buy a house in the suburbs. We do not have much idea about Chicago suburbs.

We are looking for a place with good schools, safe neighborhood, sizable Indian(south Asian) population, commute to downtown (my office) should not be more than 1 hr.

I was considering Naperville but commute from home to station 15mins + metra ride 45 mins + union station to office 15 to 20 mins. So one way distance is 1hr 15 mins to 30 mins. This is not what we want.

Any north-western suburb, you think would meet our criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 02:59 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,058 times
Niles

Old 06-28-2017, 03:00 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,097,725 times
To me it seems like almost every burb is less than an hour unless your getting out to Oswego or St Charles. Naperville would be an option if you lived close to Rt 59 or Downtown Station, shorter than 15 minutes to train and catch like a 38 minute express train to and from.

If you're looking to get a little closer somewhere near Main St stop in Downers Grove or you could look at Lombard, Elmhurst, LaGrange, I'm more familiar with west burbs so that's mainly what I'm throwing out there.

Naperville is a great option for Indian/Asian population

Old 06-28-2017, 08:08 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,727 times
Skokie I think has a larger than average Indian population. The Indian population in Naperville is quite large, but you're correct that the door to door commute will likely exceed an hour.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 8,430 times
I just moved from Lakeview to the north suburbs for school reasons, perhaps I can throw out some info. I grew up in the suburbs.

By Car:
For under 1 hour, you'll want to look at the closest north & northwest suburbs...Evanston / Skokie / Niles / Park Ridge. I just moved to Glenview and I commute to the north side of Chicago, so far north of downtown, and it can take me 45 min quite often.

Any farther than that will easily be over 60 min. Google Maps is showing that Northbrook to downtown departing at 7:30 am is between 55min and 1h 50 min.

However, the schools are generally considered better a bit more north, in the North Shore suburbs .... Wilmette / Glenview / Northbrook / Winnetka / etc.. But the costs of nice houses also skyrockets as you cross into these school districts.

But you can commute downtown via the Metra instead of car to cut down on your time.
Glenview Station to Union Station is 35 min.
Wilmette's station on Green Bay also takes 36 min to Ogilvie.

I grew up in that area as an Asian (not Indian though) and highly recommend it for kids. It's why I moved back from Chicago.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:19 AM

155 posts, read 212,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Skokie I think has a larger than average Indian population. The Indian population in Naperville is quite large, but you're correct that the door to door commute will likely exceed an hour.
Skokie/Niles has a very large population.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:18 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Budget?

Recommendations(proximity to the city/education/asian community as the leading factors):

-Glenview ($$$)
-Oak Brook ($$$)
-North Evanston ($$$)
-Arlington Heights ($$)
-Buffalo Grove ($$)

Old 06-30-2017, 11:44 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Budget?

Recommendations(proximity to the city/education/asian community as the leading factors):

-Glenview ($$$)
-Oak Brook ($$$)
-North Evanston ($$$)
-Arlington Heights ($$)
-Buffalo Grove ($$)

Buffalo Grove is 50 minutes to an hour on the train alone.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:16 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Buffalo Grove is 50 minutes to an hour on the train alone.
Also another negative is that the North Central Service Metra line only operates on weekdays, and NOT on Saturdays or Sundays/holidays. If you don't mind that tradeoff, the closer you lived to Deerfield Road(or Parkway west of Milwaukee Ave/IL Hwy. 21), the better. Since it is a straight shot east to the Deerfield Metra station on the Milwaukee District North line, which does have parking(not sure if a fee is charged or not. I wouldn't be surprised if it did?) and weekend Metra service.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:26 PM

258 posts, read 347,456 times
Northwest and closer to downtown and O'Hare: Skokie, Niles, Des Plaines, Mt Prospect area have a fair number of Indians. However, this is a mixed bag in terms of schools district.

Moving further North and NorthEast: Evanston (especially the Western suburbs of Evanston aka Skokie-Evanston aka Skevanston), South-West Wilmette (again Wilmette bordering Evanston), Glenview have comparatively less Indians (still it is not too bad in terms of diversity or even Indian population - just relatively speaking) but also have really good Metra access to downtown and in most cases have extremely good schools. Evanston for example is about 20 minutes on Metra from downtown.

If you move further Northwest and get to Northbrook, Buffalo Grove, Vernon Hills and the Stevenson high school district, again, there are a fair number of Indians but now you are further away from downtown which may be okay if you are close to a Metra, and the schools are really good too. However, the commute will likely be more like Naperville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs