Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:21 AM

25 posts, read 108,440 times

Advertisements

There are only a few places in Elgin that area nice. So, I'd look into the area a lot more. I'm guessing its in an area that isn't so nice. Look in the Crystal Lake area just a few miles north of Elgin and you could find something for a good price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 11:14 AM

101 posts, read 386,112 times
Try about 12 miles up a very heavily travelled Randall Road or a Rt. 31 with
numerous stoplights to Crystal Lake.

And a "good price"?? That's all relative.

There are plenty of decent places in Elgin. Go west of downtown.
Stay away from near east side.

Or try Sleepy Hollow (very nice) or West Dundee or western S. Elgin.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 31,683 times
I've seen the relative area of Jackson St.

It is a somewhat quiet place, but you must be aware of what might be happening at night. A bit south of 254 N. Jackson St., there is usually a moderate amount of gang activity. Personally, having lived in Elgin my whole life, I would avoid the residences around Downtown Elgin, which are usually the older homes. As WLUTZ said, "Stay away from near east side." is a true statement. Its usually more gang-ridden than the farther west side of Elgin, which has some gang territories here and there, but they are easily avoidable. Save yourself the headache of fixing an old home and the long time deals with gangs, crime, etc. Try and find a home further out west, closer to Randall Road. It'll be in the $200,000 range though, as these homes are less older than the homes around Downtown Elgin. There is plenty of homes that are up on the market, so search around a bit more and check out the neighborhoods and surrounding areas before making the final decision.

A bit unrelated info, but, watch out when buying a house as the mortgage rates are going insane nowadays. Don't want to catch yourself with a crazy 9.0% ARM.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:03 AM

3 posts, read 12,007 times
We ended up finding a place in far east Elgin - about half a mile from city limits near the forest preserve. It is a 2 bedroom, 1 bath townhouse with a finished basement for $108,000. That is our upper limit, we just can't go higher than that and be able to make the payments as well as pay our bills.
We close on April 22.

Rockford, Crystal Lake, Dundee, Sleepy Hollow, West Elgin, they are simply too far away. My wife works in Rosemont on the east side of the airport. It is just financially irresponsible to go that far. The place we decided on was a bit of a stretch as it is at 25 miles.

1604 Kenneth Circle, Elgin.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:36 AM

101 posts, read 386,112 times
Yeah, I feel your pain. I live on the west side of Elgin and work in Rosement.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ext1jdh View Post
We ended up finding a place in far east Elgin - about half a mile from city limits near the forest preserve. It is a 2 bedroom, 1 bath townhouse with a finished basement for $108,000. That is our upper limit, we just can't go higher than that and be able to make the payments as well as pay our bills.
We close on April 22.

Rockford, Crystal Lake, Dundee, Sleepy Hollow, West Elgin, they are simply too far away. My wife works in Rosemont on the east side of the airport. It is just financially irresponsible to go that far. The place we decided on was a bit of a stretch as it is at 25 miles.

1604 Kenneth Circle, Elgin.
Kennington square?? It's pretty nice... you live about a half mile from me lol.
Be sure to check out the "centre" downtown.. as well as the new Sears Centre off of shoe factory/Benverly/I90. They have all kinds of events concerts, moster truck shows everything...

Old 05-21-2008, 07:26 PM

3 posts, read 8,551 times
Really ... spanish is that big?

Old 05-25-2008, 11:03 PM

47 posts, read 164,643 times
I've had clients look in the Elgin area. Certain parts are pretty good. So its not all bad!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:10 AM

98 posts, read 317,996 times
Not a great area. Honestly Elgin is full of Spanish speaking people. Nothing against that but it is the fact. There is a lot of crime in Elgin- especially in the downtown area. The schools are HORRIBLE.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:30 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
There are parts of elgin and s. elgin that are very nice. And also some parts of elgin are in the district 301 schools - burlington. There is a ton of new development west of randall on hwy 20. The randall rd corridor is exceptional - all the way from geneva/batavia through elgin and up through algonquin. New businesses are coming in all the time. Great shopping, very safe area. They have quite a few new schools in the area as well because of all the new growth. Prairie View elem & Prairie Knolls Mid (brand new) on Nesler and hwy 20. Silver Glen & Randall also slated for a new elem & mid school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs