Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 10:50 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
people are more interested in complaining and being angry than anything.
People like myself are angry because we have a govt that is not acting in the best or really any interest of the people who live here. The purpose of govt isn't to make millionaires out of public employees by confiscating the income of citizens. That is more like a mofia extorting protection money than a respectable government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 10:58 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
People like myself are angry because we have a govt that is not acting in the best or really any interest of the people who live here. The purpose of govt isn't to make millionaires out of public employees by confiscating the income of citizens. That is more like a mofia extorting protection money than a respectable government.
I firmly agree, but the pensions are untouchable without a constitutional amendment at the state level and I'm pretty sure we're not slated to have one until 2028? The only good thing about the timing is Madigan will either have retired or died by then. Unfortunate that's the case, but it is what it is.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:59 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,250,428 times
Quote:
There isn't such enormous salary differentials in all professions between low and higher COL areas. In mine the median pay is about only $5k more in California. Median $56 here $61k there so at my level maybe an extra $7k which barely covers the increased income tax alone. The pay in Texas is about the same as here.
I'm not disputing that many professions won't be affected significantly. What I did reference was a scenario where you wouldn't see the same business opportunity exist in IL that you would if you were clustered near silicon valley. A lot of people opt to pay higher income (and property) taxes because of just that. CA weather ain't half bad either

Old 05-23-2017, 01:20 PM

1,067 posts, read 915,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I firmly agree, but the pensions are untouchable without a constitutional amendment at the state level and I'm pretty sure we're not slated to have one until 2028? The only good thing about the timing is Madigan will either have retired or died by then. Unfortunate that's the case, but it is what it is.
They're not untouchable. They're taxable and we can apply "fees". We apply pension fund manager fees right? Same idea.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I'm not disputing that many professions won't be affected significantly. What I did reference was a scenario where you wouldn't see the same business opportunity exist in IL that you would if you were clustered near silicon valley. A lot of people opt to pay higher income (and property) taxes because of just that. CA weather ain't half bad either
It shouldn't need to be a choice between living in a place with good salaries and opportunity and having a non-corrupt and competent govt. In any case Illinois/Chicago is not California. We certainly don't have the best weather or natural scenery and we don't have the same level of opportunity that Silicon Valley/San Diego/Los Angeles/San Fran has that would counter-balance the bad govt. People will not tolerate the level of insanity that they do with the California govt (13% income tax, 10% sales, fees, crazy policies).

Old 05-23-2017, 03:40 PM

1,067 posts, read 915,505 times
Anyone with a Facebook account should go watch Governor Bruce Rauner's live video he just posted today. He answer's Q&As about the budget, low black unemployment, school funding, property tax freeze, term limits, and how he's trying to COMPROMISE but Madigan won't even talk about it. It's a half hour video and shows how awesome he is and how much he's up against.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:21 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Anyone with a Facebook account should go watch Governor Bruce Rauner's live video he just posted today. He answer's Q&As about the budget, low black unemployment, school funding, property tax freeze, term limits, and how he's trying to COMPROMISE but Madigan won't even talk about it. It's a half hour video and shows how awesome he is and how much he's up against.
No surprises there!

Old 05-23-2017, 05:54 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
Quote:
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...-pension-funds

That is the sad part. In this mess Rauner and his firm GTCR are the only people who did their job. The funds under GTCR nearly always far exceeded the benchmark for returns on investment. Yet somehow the Dems blame him for this train wreck. That is like not contributing to your 401k from age 30-64 then cussing out the investment management firm because you have no money in it to retire.

The real blame goes with
-The state constitution for locking in stupidity
-The unions for making unreasonable demands
-The Dems for not telling the unions to get bent and then further for not funding the pensions and creating a govt that is grossly inefficient with multiple redundant bodies all with taxing authority and high paid admins, and in general for not having any financial self control with the people's money.
-The people of Illinois for not tossing the pols out on their @sses for the above
Rauner was still head of GTCR when they bought out the company where my husband works. They gutted the heck out of it getting rid of half of the employees. The then sold the company for an insane profit in a short amount of time. As an investor Rauner knows his stuff. As a Governor I think he's way over his head and Illinois is too far gone for anyone to get them out of it besides the taxpayers. And the taxpayers have had enough! Bankruptcy is the only hope.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:09 PM

367 posts, read 487,799 times
What do you think of the plan that was passed by Democrats in Senate? I think it improves Illinois slightly but than another tax increase. Would Rauner's tax freeze include the city of Chicago or only the suburbs?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...re-budget-cuts

Old 05-23-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
What do you think of the plan that was passed by Democrats in Senate? I think it improves Illinois slightly but than another tax increase. Would Rauner's tax freeze include the city of Chicago or only the suburbs?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...re-budget-cuts
As I said, typical Democrats. Reform nothing just keep taxing and taxing to feed this B@st@rdized farce we call a govt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs