Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:03 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTexBear View Post
Unfortunately, our situation is such that the commute is a primary concern. Barrington is about as far as we can go and still be within an hour during rush hour. I understand that both Northbrook and Highland Park have a more judeo slant than Christian. We are ok with that, but I get what you're saying and that's why Barrington is in our #1 slot right now. There's also an area about 15 min from Barrington that feeds into Stevenson HS. The primary concern with Stevenson is the size. It seems to be too big, but that has advantages too.

Both Willow Creek and Harvest Fellowship are on our radar for places of worship.

We will be going public school based on the quality that is available in the area.
The issue with Northbrook and Highland Park is that there are Limited options of evangelical churches. There's one in Northbrook and one deerfield right across the Highland Park border.

The area 15 min from Barrington you're speaking of is long grove. It's one of my favorite areas. Parts of Hawthorn Woods and Kildeer Also Are in the Stevenson District and are just like long grove.

Look at Arlington Heights, Prospect Heights, and Mount Prospect. You'll have a lot more options for churches and private schools. Public schools are Great, comparable with the areas you are looking at.

Look at Vernon Hills and Libertyville also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 11:32 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,343,523 times
Quote:
Lake Cook Rd/Hwy 94 area is where my office will be located.
Chet linked to Timothy Christian in Elmhurst, which should average < hour drive to your work location.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:40 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,872,867 times
Quote:
We are looking at Barrington, Northbrook, Highland Park, and Lincolnshire. Other areas among the northern suburbs are of interest.
Other than Barrington, the suburbs you're looking at have a strong Jewish presence. I've even heard of some Northbrook public schools scheduling days off on some Jewish Holidays. Not that you'll be viewed as the "goyim" (gentiles) , but you might not find many churches in your denomination. Possibly not many like-minded religious students at the schools, either. I'd say look closer to Barrington if you want join Willow Creek or a smaller church of your choice. Just realize that almost everyone under 30 nicknames the suburb "Borington" for a reason.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:54 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default I am quite sure there are plenty of kids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Other than Barrington, the suburbs you're looking at have a strong Jewish presence. I've even heard of some Northbrook public schools scheduling days off on some Jewish Holidays. Not that you'll be viewed as the "goyim" (gentiles) , but you might not find many churches in your denomination. Possibly not many like-minded religious students at the schools, either. I'd say look closer to Barrington if you want join Willow Creek or a smaller church of your choice. Just realize that almost everyone under 30 nicknames the suburb "Borington" for a reason.
...going up in the hippest parts of Chicago or Brooklyn who believe it to insufferably boring. That is the nature of youth -- they generally rebel against whatever is important to their parents!

The OP has shared their work location and it is unlikely that there is any value in trying to find a more urban spot that would meet their needs of finding a compatible school and worship situation.

There is no way I can recommend living in Chicago to anyone with a student that would have to face the very hard to navigate procedures of CPS selective admissions schools.

Anyone that puts too much stock in the opinions of the under 30 crowd is to be pitied.

Given that work will be close to 94 and Lake-Cook Rd. it probably makes sense to stick to the 94-294 corridor and the shortest commute to a potential Christian high school is very like Timothy Christian. In addition to the Christian churches in Elmhurst the OP might consider Christ Church in adjacent Oak Brook which has a very well regarded youth ministry -- https://www.cc-ob.org/story.aspx?storyid=120

Old 03-30-2017, 12:20 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
I thought I heard that only public schools are under consideration.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:44 PM

169 posts, read 550,427 times
I'm not quite understanding the recommendations to go out to Elmhurst or Oakbrook if your work isn't out that way and there are plenty of options that will make for an easier commute (I live off 294/Willow exit). Please feel free to message me if you would like a more candid insider's view from a parent living in Northbrook.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:57 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default No need to be stealthy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisub View Post
I'm not quite understanding the recommendations to go out to Elmhurst or Oakbrook if your work isn't out that way and there are plenty of options that will make for an easier commute (I live off 294/Willow exit). Please feel free to message me if you would like a more candid insider's view from a parent living in Northbrook.
The suggestion I offered is based on the fact that the OP stated it is very important to their family to find a faith community and school that is compatible with their experience. The presence of Willow Creek in Barrington and the quality of Stevenson High School are primary drivers toward that end though I do believe that the OP might want to consider other options including the well regarded Timothy Christian school as private option and the large youth ministry of Christ Church as alternatives.

While I do know families that are quite happy with the Glenbrook High Schools the mix of families who might attend larger Christian churches is probably rather different than the OP might desire. Fair enough?

Old 03-30-2017, 04:02 PM

169 posts, read 550,427 times
I actually wouldn't recommend Glenbrook schools based on the OP's post, even though we do have Willow Creek in Glenview too. Since I actually live where the OP would be working, I thought I could give them the perspective of a parent in the area where they are looking.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:05 PM

40 posts, read 51,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I thought I heard that only public schools are under consideration.
Yes, the public school choices are in line with what we are looking for as our daughter finishes up high school We would like to find a good church, but the school will be public.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:07 PM

40 posts, read 51,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The suggestion I offered is based on the fact that the OP stated it is very important to their family to find a faith community and school that is compatible with their experience. The presence of Willow Creek in Barrington and the quality of Stevenson High School are primary drivers toward that end though I do believe that the OP might want to consider other options including the well regarded Timothy Christian school as private option and the large youth ministry of Christ Church as alternatives.

While I do know families that are quite happy with the Glenbrook High Schools the mix of families who might attend larger Christian churches is probably rather different than the OP might desire. Fair enough?
Excellent information! Thank you for the great conversation.

FTR, I did not regard the prior comment as being salty. I read it as simply a point of clarification should the thread take a hard turn into a private school conversation.

That being said, I appreciate the input you provided around private school options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs