Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:11 PM

20 posts, read 75,844 times

Advertisements

we are an interracial family of 4. we have twin daughters who are 2. my husband works downtown and i work in the suburbs. but i'll be staying home with my girls shortly, so my commute time is unimportant.

here's what we're looking for:
~45-50 minutes from downtown
~metra stop
~walkable, quaint downtown area
~excellent schools
~by the lake
~diverse community

here's the problem:
~our budget is upper-400's-550K, and too many homes that we've looked at (primarily in wilmette and evanston) are too small/one bathroom/no basement/one car garage or even just a port/no central air/needs updating, etc. etc.

we know oak park would perfectly suit our needs, but my husband has decided that he's just not a fan of being that far from the lake. to each his own, i guess.

top contenders so far:
~NE or NW evanston
~SW wilmette
~skokie
~highland park

winnetka, glencoe, and the northern part of wilmette are not only out of our price range, but also too homogenous for us.

can anyone offer any advice/alternative suggestions?
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 09:00 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,673,220 times
Id look at Glen Ellyn or Wheaton, they sound absolutely perfect for what youre looking for. Also, no way can you be 45-50 minutes from downtown and be "by the lake", just so you know.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:46 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,533,332 times
If you want diverse and still fairly close to the lake/Loop, with the quaint downtown then look into Homewood/Floosmoor. In your price range you can get a very nice house. I mean VERY nice.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:17 PM

20 posts, read 75,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Id look at Glen Ellyn or Wheaton, they sound absolutely perfect for what youre looking for. Also, no way can you be 45-50 minutes from downtown and be "by the lake", just so you know.
i appreciate the feedback. thank you!

two issues: i wouldn't call glen ellyn or wheaton "diverse," nor are they close to the lake, as i specified. and i'm not sure why you can't be 45-55 minutes from downtown and not by next to the lake.....that's the commute time to highland park/lake forest, is it not?

Old 03-04-2008, 03:24 PM

12 posts, read 105,862 times
I would say if Lake Michigan wasn't an issue, Arlington Heights would be the burb for you. It is near your budget. The Schools are really good. It is one of the most diverse cities I have seen. The downtown is pretty cool and improving. The metra runs right through it. It is about 45 mins to all parts of Chicago by train or road.

There are some houses in Arlington Heights that are on a small lake out there.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:56 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,673,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket00 View Post
i appreciate the feedback. thank you!

two issues: i wouldn't call glen ellyn or wheaton "diverse," nor are they close to the lake, as i specified. and i'm not sure why you can't be 45-55 minutes from downtown and not by next to the lake.....that's the commute time to highland park/lake forest, is it not?
There are parts of Wheaton that are definitely diverse. Check the areas east of Naper Blvd along Rt. 38. There are older homes in that part of town, the area is safe, and you can find decent populations of Vietnamese, African-Americans, Hispanics, Russians, Somalians, Cambodians, etc. Its not Chicago, but its not all Caucasian either like most people think all of Wheaton is.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 29,205 times
I have to push for Oak park (because I live here and love it). It is extremely close to the city and the el. Lake street is great to live near and the schools are really good. In todays market you can get a great home for 500k. It seems to have everything your looking for except the north shore near the lake thing. I certainly think evanston and oak park have a different feel (sl. more urban, boarders the city) then all the other burbs you mentioned.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:46 AM

79 posts, read 265,495 times
Top picks for GREAT west surburbs: La Grange, La Grange Park, Downers Grove, Lemont - diverse yet very family oriented. Also commute to LOOP via METRA (20 MINUTES) and still in the middle of everything!

Personally, I think Oak park is a bit too pricey for what is being offered in these other suburbs.

Home prices for 3BR range from low $300K to upper $800K and higher - great deals are out there!

No lake but you are only a 20 minute METRA ride from it!

It's that or pay for the lake you want in house price.

There are also many REO's too, might get you a lower price (negotiate) with bank.

Evanston is hot market and a great place to start...I suggest you drive through the towns and decide which you like best!

Last edited by cmoscinski; 03-06-2008 at 11:20 AM..

Old 03-06-2008, 11:01 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,437,507 times
You said that being close to the lake is one of your top priorities. Yet most of the recommendations are nowhere near the lake.

That being said, you might find a fixer-upper in your price range (especially in this market) in Evanston or Wilmette. If not, I'd suggest looking further north and slightly west of the lake. Gurnee is in your price range and only 1 town away from the lake. It also meets many of your other criteria. It is diverse and has pretty good schools. It does not have a walkable/quaint downtown though.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:11 PM

162 posts, read 807,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket00 View Post
we are an interracial family of 4. we have twin daughters who are 2. my husband works downtown and i work in the suburbs. but i'll be staying home with my girls shortly, so my commute time is unimportant.

here's what we're looking for:
~45-50 minutes from downtown
~metra stop
~walkable, quaint downtown area
~excellent schools
~by the lake
~diverse community

here's the problem:
~our budget is upper-400's-550K, and too many homes that we've looked at (primarily in wilmette and evanston) are too small/one bathroom/no basement/one car garage or even just a port/no central air/needs updating, etc. etc.

we know oak park would perfectly suit our needs, but my husband has decided that he's just not a fan of being that far from the lake. to each his own, i guess.

top contenders so far:
~NE or NW evanston
~SW wilmette
~skokie
~highland park

winnetka, glencoe, and the northern part of wilmette are not only out of our price range, but also too homogenous for us.

can anyone offer any advice/alternative suggestions?
thanks!
The part you'll have problems with are "by the lake" and "diverse"

That leaves you with Evanston and the city - seriously.

The North Shore is about as far from diverse as you can get - and the South Shore is nice in the city (South Loop and Hyde Park), but farther south is not so nice.

If you compromise being by the lake, you'll find some beautiful areas - maybe substitute "lake" for "forest preserves" and you'll have more luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs