Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 05:34 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
As to the racial structure, it is heavily hispanic. Many of the billboards are Spanish only. They have the most authentic Mexican food I have found outside of Central America so it's great to grab a bite there.

But..., the schools suck.

If you are looking in Round Lake for rentals, I'm assuming your budget is on the lower end. Gurnee is pretty expensive and I'm betting Grayslake is as well comparatively.

What is your max in regards to monthly rent?
Billboards in Spanish? Most authentic Mexican food outside Central America? Have you been to Round Lake Beach....ever? There are no Spanish billboards and really can't think of any good Mexican restaurants in Round Lake Beach. You must be confusing RLB with another town....perhaps Waukegan.

If your looking for chain restaurants....well RLB will fit that niche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 08:28 PM

36 posts, read 43,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
......and really can't think of any good Mexican restaurants in Round Lake Beach.

Darn, you mean there is NO TACO Bell in RLB????

Old 02-10-2017, 08:48 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Billboards in Spanish? Most authentic Mexican food outside Central America? Have you been to Round Lake Beach....ever? There are no Spanish billboards and really can't think of any good Mexican restaurants in Round Lake Beach. You must be confusing RLB with another town....perhaps Waukegan.

LOL Exactly. Only if the person who posted that feels 'Tacos El Norte' in RLB is higher end latin-american cuisine

FWIW, you *do* see some Spanish language advertising up there near RLB- both billboards and signs at strip malls. How do I know this? My friends own a (three language) marketing/promotional business with Spanish-speaking clients throughout Lake County.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
LOL Exactly. Only if the person who posted that feels 'Tacos El Norte' in RLB is higher end latin-american cuisine

FWIW, you *do* see some Spanish language advertising up there near RLB- both billboards and signs at strip malls. How do I know this? My friends own a (three language) marketing/promotional business with Spanish-speaking clients throughout Lake County.
Tacos El norte and their world renowned microwaved cuisine. Lol.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:20 PM

902 posts, read 863,065 times
Quote:

Have you never driven on W. Rollins Rd in Round Lake? I travel to Central America for work often as a pilot. The food is crazy authentic at Los Comales and others. It's just like the street carts down south of the border.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post

I don't know what higher end Latin cuisine is since I only eat at the busier food carts/stands in Central America but I can say it is incredibly similar. The fact that the servers at many Hispanic restaurants in the area frequently speak little to no English indicates to me that the food is probably going to be very good. So far I haven't been disappointed.

I'm surprised that "Lake County lifer" hasn't noticed this. I've only been in the area for 3 years. I'm guessing "Lakelifer" doesn't travel outside of Lake County too often if they think the food isn't authentic and certainly doesn't travel much in Lake County if they haven't noticed Spanish only billboards in the Round Lake area.

Many houses sell there for $40,000 or less so it is certainly a lower end area.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:24 PM

I'm not sure if campefire actually has been to Round Lake or just flown over it in his/her little airplane. Is claiming Los Comales really the best Hispanic food outside of Central America or just a google of a yelp review from the airplanes wifi? Anyway camper should schedule a flight to Chicago to truly experience world class Hispanic cuisine at world renowned restaurants such as frontera grill or really any of the authentic street food store fronts up and down 26th st.

Last edited by lakecountylifer; 02-16-2017 at 05:37 PM..

Old 02-17-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
I don't know what higher end Latin cuisine is since I only eat at the busier food carts/stands in Central America but I can say it is incredibly similar. The fact that the servers at many Hispanic restaurants in the area frequently speak little to no English indicates to me that the food is probably going to be very good. So far I haven't been disappointed.
Just be careful using that line of reasoning. I've had plenty of crappy mexican food in 'mom 'n pop' type taco places throughout greater Chicago with nobody speaking English. It can run the gamut.

Quote:
I'm surprised that "Lake County lifer" hasn't noticed this. I've only been in the area for 3 years. I'm guessing "Lakelifer" doesn't travel outside of Lake County too often if they think the food isn't authentic and certainly doesn't travel much in Lake County if they haven't noticed Spanish only billboards in the Round Lake area.
Honestly, many people equate 'authentic' with 'good'. Obviously it's not necessarily true. People's tastes vary wildly as well. FWIW, I've had cruddy tasting food cart food as well that was authentic looking. YMMV. Heck, my neighbor hails from Honduras and her papusas are authentic but nothing to write home about taste-wise(!)

Quote:
Many houses sell there for $40,000 or less so it is certainly a lower end area.
I don't think that part was debatable

Old 02-17-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if campefire actually has been to Round Lake or just flown over it in his/her little airplane. Is claiming Los Comales really the best Hispanic food outside of Central America or just a google of a yelp review from the airplanes wifi? Anyway camper should schedule a flight to Chicago to truly experience world class Hispanic cuisine at world renowned restaurants such as frontera grill or really any of the authentic street food store fronts up and down 26th st.
You guys are simply going down different forks of the same road.

I believe his argument equates more to 'there is actually some halfway decent latin-american fare near RLB'. Hard to disagree with this if you have explored that area at all, or have knowledge of the various dishes of Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala & Honduras especially.

Regarding Frontera, for less $ I would agree it may be wiser to send people to explore 26th St. The Bayless restaurants have become too touristy for my liking and the quality perhaps less spot on as it used to be IMNSHO. (This doesn't mean you won't get a good meal there of course(!) I have less experience with Xoco, admittedly.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I lived in Ingleside. You are the one who didn't realize there were Spanish only billboards in RLB. If you haven't traveled outside of Lake County much, you may not realize that "world class" hispanic food doesn't cost a lot of $$$. I appreciate that you believe expensive restaurants = better food.

I'm just stating what I've actually experienced. Locals selling food out of carts on the street in Central America have dishes very similar to what I've had at various Hispanic restaurants in the Round Lake area. When you're the only gringo in an establishment, there's a high likelihood of the food being good "home cooking" i.e. authentic.

I'll look up those recommendations for 26th st. I'm assuming that's in downtown Chicago...? My kid loves train rides so perhaps we can do a city trip out of Antioch this weekend.

Just curious, why do you consider those store fronts "authentic"? Have you traveled extensively in the region or are you going off of heresay/reviews from folks that have lived/traveled there?

Why so passive aggressive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs