Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 09:37 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
I don't have any personal experience w/ Lester, but you can find information here: Illinois Report Card. Of course involved parents will make a big difference. I recommend visiting the places you're thinking of, extensively.

Regarding sales of a 1.1MM home - in this market? No. In a down market, probably.

If you're looking to sell soon, buy on the lower end and renovate or do a custom build/tear down in Downers. 900K is probably the sweet spot here, but comparable homes in Hinsdale would cost 400K more.
If one tries to find direct comparisons of homes in different towns one will have huge difficulty in accurately determining the impacts of different schools, different kinds of municipal services, and different tax structures.

It is very hard to say that this lovely home is priced more attractively than another, and if one is a priced more attractively it would be very hard indeed to say that any "discount" is driven by the town -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Downers-Gr.../home/18028397 vs https://www.redfin.com/IL/Hinsdale/4.../home/18031986

In fact even one narrows the search criteria to include home from $950k to $1.25M it is hard to say that there is any discount for Downers Grove -- superlative homes can be found in both areas for essentially the same price: https://www.redfin.com/IL/Downers-Gr.../home/18029005
vs https://www.redfin.com/IL/Hinsdale/7.../home/14062047

The conventional wisdom is that that the higher priced homes in DG might appeal more to folks already settled in and looking to move-up but realistically either would have rather broad appeal. The catch is since the OP is angling to move out sooner rather than later they probably would be wise to target the town that has median values closest to their target price and that would lean heavily toward Hinsdale and Western Springs, though the smaller total number of homes available in those towns is probably the biggest factor in driving their median values higher...

The OP would be foolish to avoid a town due to affluence unless they really do not fathom the relationship between opulent homes and prices....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 09:56 PM

768 posts, read 1,105,362 times
Here is a k-6 LG, HD, DG comparison using the report card...

Compare Snapshot

When looking up LG schools make sure to check district 102 where you land either in COSSITT AVE ELEM SCHOOL or OGDEN AVE ELEM SCHOOL (Ogden is best) for K-6 and district 204, LYONS TWP HIGH for 9-12.

I strongly second RJA's visit/explore extensively. I would add have dinner, breakfast and drinks on top of walking near core neighborhoods. in all cases do not deviate far (.5miles max) from core/station at that budget even in Hinsdale...

Old 10-26-2016, 12:28 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,346,483 times
ahem

Compare Snapshot

Old 10-26-2016, 08:14 AM

748 posts, read 834,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
I strongly second RJA's visit/explore extensively. I would add have dinner, breakfast and drinks on top of walking near core neighborhoods. in all cases do not deviate far (.5miles max) from core/station at that budget even in Hinsdale...
This is the key. Stay withing a half mile of express train stops (Belmont and Main in DG) and walk around. Talk to people on the streets, etc.

Chet is also right, that an individual house can make a big difference. If you're looking to move sooner, certainly buy on the lower end. If you'll be set for 10+ years you should weather any market changes.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:13 AM

166 posts, read 357,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
In fact even one narrows the search criteria to include home from $950k to $1.25M it is hard to say that there is any discount for Downers Grove -- superlative homes can be found in both areas for essentially the same price: https://www.redfin.com/IL/Downers-Gr.../home/18029005
vs https://www.redfin.com/IL/Hinsdale/7.../home/14062047

The conventional wisdom is that that the higher priced homes in DG might appeal more to folks already settled in and looking to move-up but realistically either would have rather broad appeal. The catch is since the OP is angling to move out sooner rather than later they probably would be wise to target the town that has median values closest to their target price and that would lean heavily toward Hinsdale and Western Springs, though the smaller total number of homes available in those towns is probably the biggest factor in driving their median values higher...

The OP would be foolish to avoid a town due to affluence unless they really do not fathom the relationship between opulent homes and prices....

For $1M I would buy in Hinsdale. The link above shows a new construction house in Downers in a good location against a nice but not new house in one of the less desirable areas of Hinsdale. The Hinsdale location is not "bad", but its not a move up location so equity appreciation would be minimal. Don't interpret my message as that Hinsdale house or location is crap, I just want to point out that the price reflects the location. For that price, I would move there.

$1M in Downers is the top of the market, $1M in Hinsdale is the low end of the sweet spot. Most homes that trade fast are less than 10yrs old or have been updated to look like it, and sell between $1 to $1.3M. New construction in Hinsdale between $1 to $1.1 is going to be tough. It can be done but you'll be buying either a sub-optimal house or lot. So, I would rather buy in a neighborhood in the "middle of the pack" instead of buying at the top. Remember, houses depreciate land does not. Depreciation is the loss of value due to wear and tear, land doesn't wear out.

Also, part of Hinsdale's charm is the topography and trees. Coming from S Cali, not a big deal, but hills are a big deal in the land of flat plains!

Old 10-27-2016, 09:34 AM

Hinsdale is huge - look at it on a map compared to western springs for example... I would caution paying high dollars for a far out boonies location in Hinsdale... i think other elements (core/train walkability) take precedence over that IMO...

PS not saying hinsdale boonies are not nice (they are) ...

Old 10-27-2016, 10:38 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
I'd hardly call Hinsdale "huge" -- Downers Grove is about 4x bigger https://www.google.com/maps/place/Do...!4d-88.0111746
Elmhurst is also about 4x bigger in population and distance between limits -- https://www.google.com/maps/place/El...!4d-87.9403418
A town like Arlington Heights is easily 6x larger https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ar...4d-87.9806265; Hinsdale is not even a tenth the size of Naperville.

If one does look at a map of Western Springs there are certainly significant portions that are south of 55th St and right now new homes are actively being built there. Commuting to the Metra station is not going to be part of the appeal https://www.google.com/maps/place/We...!4d-87.9006155

While Hinsdale is "wider" in an east-west direction than Western Springs it also has THREE stops on the BNSF so that makes many more homes accessible for commuters, quite a plus.

Whatever "boonies" that may have a Hinsdale mailing address are never going to be confused by any competent buyer as the tax bill makes it clear that unincorporated areas are not inside D181 or even served by the Hinsdale municipal services. The relatively tiny number of homes north of Ogden or south of 55th that are part of Hinsdale are bordered by either Oak Brook and still served by Hinsdale Central (as well as being in the very lovely Fullersburg Woods Forest Preserve area) or adjacent to Burr Ridge which also has many reasons to recommend it...

Old 10-27-2016, 12:55 PM

490 posts, read 650,227 times
Check out Riverside. You have tree lined streets, it's a very pleasant community, beautiful homes, and it's own flair. You also have a metra (commuter train) stop in the middle of thier down town. With a budge like yours, you would feel right at home.

Next suggestion would be Burr Ridge. It's like hinsdale, but there's a lot more space between the subdivisions.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:23 PM

166 posts, read 357,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
Check out Riverside. You have tree lined streets, it's a very pleasant community, beautiful homes, and it's own flair. You also have a metra (commuter train) stop in the middle of thier down town. With a budge like yours, you would feel right at home.

Next suggestion would be Burr Ridge. It's like hinsdale, but there's a lot more space between the subdivisions.
Riverside is nice, but not $1M nice. I wouldn't spend $1M on a house in Riverside, again you'd be at the very top end of the market. There are plenty of nice homes for $500k in Riverside. Besides the person is going to drive to Alsip so that doesn't make any sense. Burr Ridge is a possible option for driving to Alsip but there's a glut of $1M homes in Burr Ridge for sale and I see the desirability further decreasing in the next decade.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:48 PM

My understanding is OP wants a nice/eventful/vibrant downtown also, so burr ridge and oakbroak should not be considered - at 1.1mm they should get it + great schools + tree lined strets + historic charm + walkability + station + nice house ...

Last edited by JJski; 10-27-2016 at 02:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs