Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,632 times

Advertisements

My family might be on the move to the Western Burbs...

We have a 3 year old and 3 month old and the decision is made to move for schools, location, and real estate value (future).
All the DD brings us to 2 towns - CH and Hinsdale.
Elmhurst is distant 3rd - and i mean distant

I know there are some jokers out there that will slam these towns as "snobby" but these same people cant argue the school rankings (see Trib) and various community & family events (park & rec events) that are just not found in other cities (or they are not as interesting)
also, the fact real estate value holds stronger -Fact: the dirt is worth more!

So, our goal is to find the Toddler streets / neighborhoods in these towns. The last thing we want to do is buy and be "on the wrong steet"
A friend of mine suggested knocking on doors before you offer which seems a bit odd? ANY HELP out there??

We have nothing against the surrounding suburbs but these locations are stronger for commutes / jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 02:59 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I don't know how effective it is to literally knock on doors seeking out a family with toddler that fot your kids ages exactly -- even if you got lucky and the family is home at the time you are shopping there is not a whole lot to be gained from just knowing that "yep, no old folks next door..." becuase those old folks could be getting ready to list their place and sell to a family that is not yet in the picture...

The fact that ALL the D181 schools have performly at exemplary levels (as evidenced by their inclusion on the Illinois Honor Roll for Academic Excellence) means their is not part of town that is not served by top notch schools. Further the short distance from basically any spot in town to a park or/ or school makes it a real draw for those seeking to have informal play areas in the community.

For the most part "what you see is what you get" -- the bigger newer homes are generally priced higher than older homes that need some updating but there are neighborhood wide "hidden troubles". Even spots right on the arterial streets that lead to the commuter rail stations are generally in high demand as those routes also include easy access to amenities like the public libraries, parks, schools and nicely kept shopping areas that are all good destinations for a pleasnant stroll or bicycle ride... There are portions of Hinsdale that are served by D181 that lie north of Ogden or south of 55th street that are not quite as walkable, but they still are quite desirable for their more densely wooded, larger lot size. Inside of Clarendon Hills the portion of town served by D181 is a bit more compact and the issue of homes that may front a busier street is even more limited, though that also means less inventory overall...

I have many friends in Elmhurst and it too is a lovely place to live. What you cannot change is it's size -- it does cover a significantly wider area. Fortunately the upgrades to York HS and the rest of the community unit schools happened before any down turn in real estate and I think that is a real plus for the long term livability of Elmhurst, though you will never have as uniformly connected feel to the core as you do in a smaller town. Of course the resources of the gorgeous Elmhurst Library, museums and Elmhurst College are splendid pluses for those who live near them...

Old 01-03-2012, 09:10 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Default knock away!

The neighbors in a neighborhood know where the kids are for the most part, and most would probably be more than glad to help out if you knocked on their doors if you were serious about a nearby house. We did that when we moved in with two of the neighbors, and were not in the least embarrassed since it was such a big investment and wanted to know the lay of the land.
You might want to go to some of the school directories and see where at least the kindergartners are. Thurlow, Bruner, Adams near Chicago ave used to have alot of kids, maybe they still do. You cannot go wrong with either town; each one keeps on getting nicer each year because of upgrades and teardowns, and the schools are full of caring teachers and parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMMG View Post
My family might be on the move to the Western Burbs...

We have a 3 year old and 3 month old and the decision is made to move for schools, location, and real estate value (future).
All the DD brings us to 2 towns - CH and Hinsdale.
Elmhurst is distant 3rd - and i mean distant

I know there are some jokers out there that will slam these towns as "snobby" but these same people cant argue the school rankings (see Trib) and various community & family events (park & rec events) that are just not found in other cities (or they are not as interesting)
also, the fact real estate value holds stronger -Fact: the dirt is worth more!

So, our goal is to find the Toddler streets / neighborhoods in these towns. The last thing we want to do is buy and be "on the wrong steet"
A friend of mine suggested knocking on doors before you offer which seems a bit odd? ANY HELP out there??

We have nothing against the surrounding suburbs but these locations are stronger for commutes / jobs.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:50 AM

3 posts, read 8,525 times
Hinsdale and only Hinsdale. South of Ogden, North of 55th.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:39 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The OP did not mention their price range, and I know they are focused on three very nice areas, but to get from Elmhurst to Hinsdale/Clarendon Hills one generally has to go through Oak Brook.

The D53 schools are every bit as desirable as any in the state, with resources that are unmatched, uncommonly small class sizes and facilites that are first rate.
The various Park District and Village services are similarly top tier AND the taxes are exteremly low.

Lest you think only mansions are the norm, there are a fairly nice mix of very attracctively priced homes too:
Real Estate & homes for sale | Single family homes,Condos,Townhomes,Co-ops - REALTOR.com®

Real Estate & homes for sale | Single family homes,Condos,Townhomes,Co-ops - REALTOR.com®

While you cannot walk to the Metra from any home in Oak Brook the potential to have a great home in a town that remains quite desirable ought to be at least considered...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs