Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 08:30 AM

12 posts, read 10,199 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I will be starting a new job in Glenview, IL in Feb 2017, and need your advice on where to live. I am a single 24 years old and enjoy the company of my peer group. For the past 18 months, I have been living in a small rural town in Ohio, so I would like to experience the city life again. However, traffic is a big concern of mine because I was raised up in Atlanta and from what I have heard, Chicago is worst. Right now, I would love it if my commute to work is 20 minutes and 20 minutes to Lincoln Park/ Wrigley Field/ Downtown Chicago. I have heard that going north in the morning and south in the afternoon aka reverse commute is not that bad. Is that true? As for price, the max that I am comfortable with paying for rent is 1100. If I missed anything, please do advise.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 08:42 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,265,881 times
Default Rent ceiling too low; commute times too optimistic ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperduck View Post
Hi!

I will be starting a new job in Glenview, IL in Feb 2017, and need your advice on where to live. I am a single 24 years old and enjoy the company of my peer group. For the past 18 months, I have been living in a small rural town in Ohio, so I would like to experience the city life again. However, traffic is a big concern of mine because I was raised up in Atlanta and from what I have heard, Chicago is worst. Right now, I would love it if my commute to work is 20 minutes and 20 minutes to Lincoln Park/ Wrigley Field/ Downtown Chicago. I have heard that going north in the morning and south in the afternoon aka reverse commute is not that bad. Is that true? As for price, the max that I am comfortable with paying for rent is 1100. If I missed anything, please do advise.

Thanks,
If you want to live closer to where the action is, you would need to raise your rent ceiling. Probably closer to 1500 so you have more flexibility.

Although IME Atlanta has some horrific traffic, your numbers are on the idealistic side to get to either of those locations in rush hour in only 20 minutes, given you lived halfway between downtown and Glenview- depending on precisely where you were going. Anything toward the lakefront takes a lot of extra time to navigate, even w/o added rush hour traffic.

As a hypothetical, if you lived in Logan Square (west of Lincoln Park and near I-94), your commutes to Glenview would still at least be in the neighborhood of 35-45 minutes.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:53 AM

33 posts, read 73,875 times
Quote:
Hi!

Thanks,
First off, there is not going to be anywhere you can live that will get you to Glenview in 20 minutes and downtown Chicago in 20 minutes. Even living in Chicago, it can take you more than 20 minutes to get downtown depending on what neighborhood you are in. Although Evanston is not within your 20 minute preferred commute time, that would be a good "in-between" place for getting to Glenview and Chicago. You will also find many people your age because it's home to Northwestern U.

As for the reverse commute, it seems these days traffic is bad no matter which way you're going. I've done the city to suburbs commute as well as suburbs to city and both commutes were equally bad.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:56 AM

529 posts, read 649,780 times
I did a reverse commute for years. It is arguably worse inbound than outbound for the evening rush on the Kennedy and Edens expressways.

Logan Square is a good tradeoff, as would be Jefferson Park. You are close to the expressway and close to the Blue Line in either of those neighborhoods. Jefferson Park would probably cut off 10-15 minutes from your evening commute compared to Logan Square, but it doesn't have as many young people nor much of a nightlife scene as Logan Square would.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:06 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,176,774 times
Quote:
Hi!

Thanks,
You're not going to get from Lincoln Park, Lakeview, or Downtown to Glenview in 20 minutes unless it's very early in the morning. Like before 5 a.m. Even then it'd be a stretch. You could probably get to Glenview from Lakeview in 45 minutes or so using surface roads, but you'll need to be right off Lakeshore Drive. If you want an exact route, PM me and I'll give you the details.

Your budget is pretty low for a one bedroom so you're going to need roommates. I would highly recommend living in the City over the burbs though. Is your company located near the Glen Metra Station? If you're working off Willow, it wouldn't be impossible to make the walk, but it'd be a bit less than a mile. That may not be feasible if there's snow or rain. Maybe they have a shuttle? PM me!

Old 10-19-2016, 02:00 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,265,881 times
Agreed, but she was actually asking about living somewhere that could split the difference between downtown and Glenview, hence ~ 20 minutes as her estimation going either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
You're not going to get from Lincoln Park, Lakeview, or Downtown to Glenview in 20 minutes unless it's very early in the morning. Like before 5 a.m. Even then it'd be a stretch. You could probably get to Glenview from Lakeview in 45 minutes or so using surface roads, but you'll need to be right off Lakeshore Drive. If you want an exact route, PM me and I'll give you the details.

Your budget is pretty low for a one bedroom so you're going to need roommates. I would highly recommend living in the City over the burbs though. Is your company located near the Glen Metra Station? If you're working off Willow, it wouldn't be impossible to make the walk, but it'd be a bit less than a mile. That may not be feasible if there's snow or rain. Maybe they have a shuttle? PM me!

Old 10-19-2016, 02:07 PM

155 posts, read 213,549 times
Skokie or Evanston

Old 10-19-2016, 02:23 PM

189 posts, read 111,027 times
I also think that Evanston would be a good compromise for you. Evanston is very city-like with lots to do. There are good music venues and lots of great restaurants. You can be in Glenview in 20-30 minutes depending on traffic, and it's easy public transportation to anything in the City. The Metra will get you downtown in 30 minutes. Also, as someone else said, there are a lot of young people there because of the University.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:56 PM

12 posts, read 10,199 times
Thank you guys! I really appreciate all the advice. What do you guys think of Roger Park?

Old 10-19-2016, 08:10 PM

93 posts, read 91,097 times
Rogers Park could work well. It's not without crime, there are problem streets, and you probably have to be more vigilant about to personal safety than you'd need to be in most of Skokie or Evanston. That said, I know people who have lived in Rogers Park for years--some in east and a couple of families in West Rogers Park & are very happy.

East RP, close to the El/Loyola has restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc...is more suitable for a young professional, but make sure the commute is OK. The metra station is west. And driving from Sheridan Rd to Glenview might be a hassle. Others will weigh in--they're probably watching the game, I can't take the suspense. There are some great places along the lake in ERP--walkable to amenities, and el-connected to other neighborhoods to enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs