Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:58 AM

12 posts, read 10,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
WHAT??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thousands of people take the L downtown every single day. At any rate, you aren't answering the OP's question. OP is NOT going to be working downtown.

OP, someone mentioned east Rogers Park, i don't know if that would be a great location for you unless you can get dedicated parking. My sister lives right by a beach and loves it, but she takes the L to work. Parking can be a real hassle at night.

Is East Rogers Park the good side or is it West? Knitgirl, does your sister work in Chicago or the in the suburbs?

As of right now, I have mostly been looking at Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, Ravenswood Manor, and possibly Albany Park and Andersonville .

Thank you all for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 11:12 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,167 times
I would either choose west lakeview and deal with the commute or Evanston.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:19 AM

Thanks jman07!

Does anyone have any suggestions for places that I might not need a car? I just need to be close to a few decent bars, a gym, grocery store, a way to get to work.

You guys are awesome!

Old 10-25-2016, 12:58 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
Pace bus 208 goes from Davis St Evanston which is right in the heart of the downtown shopping and restaurant district down Golf Rd to ITW between Waukegan and Harlem. You can also bike down Church st/Beckwith rd to Harlem to work most of the year it is about 8 miles to Evanston. Otherwise Metra MD-N goes through Edgebrook, Forest Glen, and Mayfair none of which are hip areas of Chicago to downtown to the west loop Union Station. I think Evanston is your best bet.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperduck View Post
Thanks jman07!

Does anyone have any suggestions for places that I might not need a car? I just need to be close to a few decent bars, a gym, grocery store, a way to get to work.

You guys are awesome!
I thought you had to drive to work?

Old 10-25-2016, 05:21 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,538 times
Quote:
Is East Rogers Park the good side or is it West? Knitgirl, does your sister work in Chicago or the in the suburbs?

As of right now, I have mostly been looking at Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, Ravenswood Manor, and possibly Albany Park and Andersonville .

Thank you all for your help!
East Rogers Park by the lake is the best part. I think you're looking in the right neighborhoods. I live in Bowmanville which is north of Foster between Andersonville on the east and Lincoln Square on the southwest. Parking is great over here.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
East Rogers Park by the lake is the best part. I think you're looking in the right neighborhoods. I live in Bowmanville which is north of Foster between Andersonville on the east and Lincoln Square on the southwest. Parking is great over here.
Rogers park is no good. The prime neighborhoods are all south of Irving and east of western. Lakeview, Lincoln park, bucktown, river north. Then secondary quieter less trendy neighborhoods are Lincoln square, Northcenter, ravens wood, roscoe village. It's a lot of older people and families there though. For some reason the people on these forums always recommend these secondary less desirable neighborhoods. Then you have the rest of Chicago which is depressing.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I thought you had to drive to work?
I wanted to see if it is possible to get to work without having a car and how much of a hassle in that case.

Last edited by dapperduck; 10-26-2016 at 08:13 AM..

Old 10-26-2016, 10:01 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
Quote:
I wanted to see if it is possible to get to work without having a car and how much of a hassle in that case.
It is, but you need to plan ahead. Living somewhere where you could also to grab a bus when the trains aren't working (or vice versa) means you need to make certain you are close enough to access both. The Pace 208 bus from the Davis St station might be ideal to get out the Harlem although there would be extra time involved getting there from East rogers park close to the lake. My personal preference is to limit the total number of different forms of public transportation involved as much as possible to avoid all the delays during the year. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs