Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 10:12 PM

62 posts, read 81,579 times

Advertisements

We are looking at two districts very seriously and one is District 200, Wheaton.

I don't mean to offend, but I wanted to get an idea about the religious aspect of the community.

I know with the influence of Wheaton College, it is a very Christian area. We are Christians and grew up going to church (Presbyterian). We were married in the church, our children are baptized and we both have faith, however, leveraged with a healthy dose of skepticism. We don't wear our beliefs on our sleeves. However, we fell away from organized religion years ago as we found a lot of hypocrisy in the church (among the issues was the fact that members of my church treated my child with very mild special needs horribly - it then dawned on us we didn't see ANY families with special needs children in the congregation. Heh. Gee, wonder why? We didn't feel welcomed even though I grew up in that church. It was heartbreaking and maddening). So, we haven't been to church since.

I am not against the idea of returning to church. I would like my children to have the experience of participating (husband will not-he is still bitter), however, I didn't know if we would be seen as the "odd balls" if we weren't members of a specific church, didn't attend regularly (or at all) or if I just attended with the kids. We also are people who don't like to feel pressured or "recruited".

Anyway, just curious about the "vibe" in the area. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 05:21 AM

9,915 posts, read 9,655,326 times
Hi - i was just visiting College Church a couple weekends ago. I too was looking for a church and visited there. Anyway, there were a lot of people that had disabilities even in wheelchairs.. this church is a huge church and they had a lot of disabled kids and they had a place for them to sit. I think they would have a lot of accommodations for you and would be also a nice church to visit. I liked it and did not feel they were any bad attitudes.

As for the vibe in the area, the area is beautiful with nature, parks, etc. They have also Danada Shopping Center and many things and really you dont get a vibe like everyone is walking around with hands folded all the time, its a nice family atmosphere. I lived in Wheaton for 2 years and i also live nearby now. Love it!

I know what you mean about you experience, but really dont let those bad experiences keep you outta church, just find the right one. Many to choose from in the area!

Old 07-03-2016, 07:11 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,982,716 times
Wheaton has changed considerably in the last twenty or thirty years. Its no longer dry and the growth of south Wheaton with all the new subdivisions has made that part of town sort of like Naperville in terms of demographics. I have lived in Wheaton since 1989 and I see no real emphasis where I live in south Wheaton of the born again type of fundamental Christians. In fact there are many main line Protestant churches in Wheaton as well as two large Catholic churches. And some don't go to church or maybe are atheists. I think if you avoid the areas right around Wheaton College you will be fine. Just note that Wheaton is not an experience like Evanston or Oak Park.....not a lot of real liberals here.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:16 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,974,478 times
There is also a fairly large Orthodox church within a block of the campus. Wheaton is not a "very Christian area" in the same way that, say, upstate South Carolina is. Neighbors, friends, and coworkers aren't likely to try to recruit you or pressure you to find a church - unless you run into the occasional fundamentalist (and there's no more of those in Wheaton than in any other surrounding town in my experience).

Old 07-07-2016, 06:34 AM

20 posts, read 24,424 times
We're recent transplants to the area and are not religious at all. I'm the mom of a small child and I do feel that church plays a big role in social circles here. I'm always overhearing convos at the playground about sermons, church events, parochial schools and the like. I find it difficult to fit in here...all of our friends are in the city.

A mom in one of my Facebook groups witnessed a guy (with kids in tow) giving the finger to the gay organization's float in our local 4th of July parade. Lovely.

Wheaton (and Glen Ellyn for that matter) are cute towns but I think it's just superficial. That being said we are anxious to move out.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:25 AM

335 posts, read 336,401 times
We lived in Wheaton for a while. I really do think it was a great town but my husband and I both agreed that we felt it was a little too conservative. When I would take my kids to the north side pool I would always hear the moms talking about which small group they were in with their husbands. My kids went to preschool at Gary church and those mom seems much more laid-back. I think you can easily find people who aren't extreme, but there still is quite a number of people who are hard-core Christian in my opinion..

Old 07-07-2016, 10:53 AM

Stay on the south side of Wheaton. There is less of that there.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:48 PM

335 posts, read 336,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Stay on the south side of Wheaton. There is less of that there.
I agree, that's interesting because most of the extremists we met lived on the north side where we rented a town home. It is such a beautiful community tho. We loved being in town, and I really enjoyed our time there.
Now we are in la grange and it seems very liberal. Neighbors throw parties all the time, alcohol included!

Old 07-08-2016, 08:39 AM

The north side of Wheaton has pocket of the so called extreme Christians and they are scattered elsewhere. I've been to many parties in south Wheaton and alcohol is served. When we lived in Danada, there were a couple in our subdivision but they did not socialize with the rest of people. One guy who lived across the street and was very nice, invited me to his prayer group. I never went so he did not ask any more. Its silly to stay away from Wheaton because of extreme Chiristians but I would say the south side is probably full of more "regular folk" than the north side.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:29 PM

62 posts, read 81,579 times
Hi All. I am sorry to be late with the response. We actually made a trip out there to drive around and check things out and visit a few schools.

I really appreciate your insights! It is very helpful. I just recall Wheaton from Wheaton College back in the 90s when a roommate's cousin attended. So this is where I am getting my background. The town may have been dry back then, I don't recall, but I do know her cousin was very religious (which is fine) and I wasn't sure how that affected the surrounding community. Funny, on this same trip there this past week, I was told the same about North v South. Funny how that is.

My husband and I are both conservative but we are def. "in the middle" and more moderate, so I think that part wouldn't necessarily be bad for us. To think someone gave the finger at the gay float is sad and ridiculous and just stupid. But unfortunately, unless we plan to live in the middle of nowhere and go off the grid, there will always be sad, ridiculous and stupid no matter what. Heh - and he did it in front of his kids too? Yeah, that would be the hypocrisy I was talking about. Unreal.

Cycling Chick and Taco, I am sorry you are having a hard time there and feeling they aren't being inclusive. That sucks. I know all too well how it feels to be the new family on the block. It can be hard.

ChicagoMeO - great tip on that church. We will check into that - very encouraging they are catering to what seems like a special needs ministry.

Thank you everyone!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs