Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 10:37 AM

19 posts, read 21,361 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are considering both suburbs and curious if there is a different vibe between the 2 burbs? My husband and I have driven around the area with our son, and have liked what we've seen. We could get a bit more for our money in Clarendon Hills. Just not familiar with the culture. Anyone have insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 09:07 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Things to consider ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson0901 View Post
Hi! We are considering both suburbs and curious if there is a different vibe between the 2 burbs? My husband and I have driven around the area with our son, and have liked what we've seen. We could get a bit more for our money in Clarendon Hills. Just not familiar with the culture. Anyone have insight?
The most obvious differences are all related to size. Hinsdale is significantly larger in physical area and population. Hinsdale has three Metra stations , Clarendon Hills has one. Hinsdale has about dozens spots to eat, clustered mostly near the main train station, CH has about four in town as well as couple up on Ogden and two more on 55th St.

Hinsdale similarly has about a dozen different churches, CH maybe five.

The "vibe" in CH is thus a bit more like "Bedford Falls" where is likely you will know a larger percentage of folks that go to one of the two elementary schools (Prospect for those north of the BNSF or Walker for those south of tracks ). For folks who choose the Blackhawks Heights section, served by Westmont public schools, it is similarly likely neighbors will either utilize Manning or they choose the parochial options of either Notre Dame or Holy Trinity...

As far as "culture" CH has a Starbucks and nice locally owned coffee place where retirees hang out. Hinsdale has a Starbucks and retirees don't hang out, they tuck-in... But seriously, Hinsdale is nice too. Fact is many folks that live in CH are active in all kinds of things in Hinsdale too -- Community House is a hub for community theatre for kids & adults in both towns. You can't go wrong.

I wouldn't trade CH for darned near any place, though I have heard grumblings from from some folks that don't understand any small town means that "everybody knows your problems even if you don't ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs