Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 11:03 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,958,421 times

Advertisements

Its probably a little too soon for June. Maybe start looking in March but its still good to take a trip here to see the towns and areas and get the lay of the land. If you are renting in one of the apartment buildings listed above run by a management company, you could meet with them to see what they have. If you go to Oak Park or actually any place really ask about parking as sometimes there are very restrictive parking issues associated. If you have a big old large building, there is probably only street parking. If you rent a house or a two flat there may be parking more easily available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 11:09 AM

You might also look at Berwyn. Here is an example of a house you could rent within your price range. With something like this you get a whole house and a lot more space than an apartment, a yard and a garage.

https://www.padmapper.com/listings/1...n-IL-60402-in-

Berwyn does not get mentioned because the schools are not the best but there are quite a few private or parochial schools that you can send your children to, including Montessori schools. Berwyn has good transportation to the city and its right south of Oak Park and has much cheaper housing options. Easy to get to the Eisenhower, and it has two metra stops. Pink line, blue line and green line (CTA L trains) are all not too far.

Personally, I would avoid taking the CTA L trains if possible and I would take Metra even if it was costlier or more trouble. Its much safer and more comfortable and you avoid travelling through the west side of Chicago which is not a great place to be.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:38 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,970,162 times
FWIW, most of the residents and fellows I've met who work in the Illinois Medical District (and I've met a lot here in Oak Park) prefer to drive rather than take the CTA. While the CTA is convenient, driving from such a close distance is even more convenient. Plus, the previously mentioned sketchiness issue.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:05 PM

Good point.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:18 PM

6 posts, read 7,777 times
If I did choose to drive, what is parking like near UIC? Cost? Availability?

I'm looking into Berwyn and it seems like we can get a lot more for our money in a safe neighborhood so it may be an option

Old 02-18-2016, 10:40 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,421,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary View Post

I'm looking into Berwyn and it seems like we can get a lot more for our money in a safe neighborhood so it may be an option
Are you working at the hospital? Then you will probably get a monthly permit for one of the garages. Otherwise, you could scavenge for a spot on the street, but that's not a fun game when you are working long hours.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:07 PM

165 posts, read 310,480 times
Quote:

Berwyn would save you money, but it is inconsistent with your desire for good schools. And in my opinion, if you are going to send your kids to private school to avoid the subpar Berwyn public schools, you should just live in the city in the medical district area and send them to a private school around there. Time and convenience are HUGE commodities in residency and most people don't understand this,so make it as easy on yourself as possible.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:19 AM

Your children are young, preschool type age and you wont' be sending them to public school for a few years anyway. So Berwyn might be a good option since you are renting. If you took a house in south, central or western area of Berwyn you could see how you like the area and explore other places as a jumping off point such as Oak Park, Forest Park, La Grange, Riverside, etc. Live there for a few years or so. You will primarily looking into day care, Montessori, preschools, etc. Many preschools are affilicated with churches. You won't need the good public schools yet. You can decide whether you want to put them in public or private schools. I have family who send their kids to Montessori schools even though the public schools are good simply because they want to.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:40 PM

6 posts, read 7,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Your children are young, preschool type age and you wont' be sending them to public school for a few years anyway. So Berwyn might be a good option since you are renting. If you took a house in south, central or western area of Berwyn you could see how you like the area and explore other places as a jumping off point such as Oak Park, Forest Park, La Grange, Riverside, etc. Live there for a few years or so. You will primarily looking into day care, Montessori, preschools, etc. Many preschools are affilicated with churches. You won't need the good public schools yet. You can decide whether you want to put them in public or private schools. I have family who send their kids to Montessori schools even though the public schools are good simply because they want to.

Very true. My daughter will start kindergarten in the fall of 2017, so we could at least rent for a year somewhere while we research areas. What about Skokie? I saw a few desirable rentals that say they are ~35 minutes to the hospital with good school. Is it actually harder to commute from there than what it seems?

Old 02-19-2016, 02:00 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,838,344 times
Quote:
What about Skokie? I saw a few desirable rentals that say they are ~35 minutes to the hospital with good school. Is it actually harder to commute from there than what it seems?
That commute would be terrible. You want to stay west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs